Browser Attack using Chromium

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
panaceajph

Browser Attack using Chromium

Post by panaceajph »

Hi

I just had my browser display a page claiming to be Microsoft and telling me not to close window or reboot computer and that I was using pirated software and have to call Microsoft to unlock my computer etc. - I closed the browser - actually had to "killall chromium-browser" from command line because clicking close buttons didn't work. I've never seen anything like this before and am asking for help in understanding what kind of attack it was and if I'm safe from further attack or if I have some sort of security weakness. Also concerned that passwords saved with browser might have been compromised.

The phone number to call to unlock computer was <phone number removed by moderator> (Never ever even think of calling them.)

this is the address of the attack page (don't go there unless you know what you're doing) <address camouflaged by mod>

First time posting to forums. Neither newbie nor expert, long time Linux user and have been using Linux Mint for several years. I don't appear to have a problem right now, but am looking for some insight on what happened.

Currently using Linux Min 18.1 Cinnamon 64, version 3.4.7 and browser is Version 69.0.3497.81 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18.1 (64-bit)

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Browser Attack using Chromium

Post by karlchen »

Hello, panaceajph.

What you came across was a scam, a faked Microsoft security webpage. Of course the intention was malicious. What precisely we cannot tell.
You did the right thing by klling chromium.
My advice will be:
+ Clear the complete browser cache.
+ Clear the complete browser history.

Whether the fraudulent website may have stolen any of the passwords, which you may haves stored inside the Chromium profile? Hm. I do not think so. Yet, if you want to be on the absolute safe side, you change any account password, which is stored inside the Chromium profile.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

If you still have the phone number report it to this website ... https://scammerblaster.com/

I called the phone number on my 'scam the scammer' machine and wasted around 30 mins of their time. They were a fake Microsoft Support center that gets on your PC and trashes it and then want money to fix it :twisted:
panaceajph

Post by panaceajph »

Thanks for the information, Karl. I'll follow your advice.

Pepi- I tried to report the number, but they didn't make it easy. Will look at it again later.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

panaceajph wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm Thanks for the information, Karl. I'll follow your advice.

Pepi- I tried to report the number, but they didn't make it easy. Will look at it again later.
I PM you :wink:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

panaceajph wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm Thanks for the information, Karl. I'll follow your advice.

He is very BUSY right now trashing out many of these scammer setups. 2 million flood calls since yesterday is what he said. He has been asked for proof and he is supplying proof later this week :mrgreen: :lol:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'vbe seen this sort of thing in Linux before. While Linux may give you freedom from viruses it doesn't make you free from browser based hacks. Perhaps you hadn't updated chromium that day? A few browser extensions can help with this sort of thing, like HTTPS Everywhere, a good ad blocker (uBlock Origin is the best I know of), maybe noscript, but that's too involved for casual use by most.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”