Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Palladini
Level 3
Level 3

I am looking for a Database Program in Linux Mint 19 Tara

Post by Palladini »

Like the title says, I am looking for Database program, one that many facts can be put in and in one query a list of things will come back. I am not talking about Libre Office's Calc, it way more in depth than that. Input can be done in several or 2 fields, it depends on data being plugged into it. To give you an example, if I was inputting data about the businesses in a city, I could get their name, what they do, phone numbers, websites, address and so on, then if someone walked up and said they needed a plumber, all I would need to do ask the Program for all the plumbers on the list, and it would produce me a screen of all the folks who are licensed to do plumbing.

Does anything like that exist?
[b]I love Linux Mint 19.2[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I am looking for a Database Program in Linux Mint 19 Tara

Post by gm10 »

Since you bring up LibreOffice, how about LibreOffice Base?
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Libre Office Base is likely to be your best for now. MYSQL could handle that in its sleep but, you are in for a very steep learning curve there. I was a database programmer back in the day beginning with dBase and finishing with Access for personal use. Since moving to Linux none of these are really an option. I have managed to adapt a package called gStar to my needs, but, it does not appear to handle ad hoc queries, or complex queries very well. You may actually find that someone has already developed a contact management database that has exactly the features you desire.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:17 am
Libre Office Base is likely to be your best for now. MYSQL could handle that in its sleep but, you are in for a very steep learning curve there. I was a database programmer back in the day beginning with dBase and finishing with Access for personal use. Since moving to Linux none of these are really an option. I have managed to adapt a package called gStar to my needs, but, it does not appear to handle ad hoc queries, or complex queries very well. You may actually find that someone has already developed a contact management database that has exactly the features you desire.
Take to heart the above underlined comment - I know there are more than a couple of these that will do what you want. In that vein, you may find this page to be of interest/use.

If you are going to "roll your own", (and if you haven't done database design work before) please understand that there is something of a learning curve to designing and developing a working database. Without getting too involved, I can see the eventual need/desire for a minimum of three or four different tables in your proposed database and a number of different relationships and constraints.

Again, if you haven't done it before, you may find a bit of research/study of relational database design, data normalization, and the like to be of benefit in your DIY project.
wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

I have used Libre Office Base and I find find it easy to use and very powerful. It contains wizards to help you do things if you do not want to code in sql, which you can also do if you want to.

I found some YouTube videos that were very help. They come from a web site called http://www.thefrugalcomputerguy.com/

The site contains impressive video tutorials and is indexed which makes it easy to find specific answers and lead thru visuals. It helped me learn how to establish relationships and join tables, etc.
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7 Kernel 5.4.0-42 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

Return to “Software & Applications”