Anything to replace Flash yet? No Solution possible

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Anything to replace Flash yet? No Solution possible

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

As most of us know, Flash is an antiquated piece of spyware that unfortunately hasn't gone away.

To put it another way, what is the point of using a VPN when you have Flash busy broadcasting your IP address to the world?

To that point. I long ago deleted it from all my machines. Yet amazingly, here in 2018, sites are using this piece of crap.

Has anything yet been developed that will function with sites that still insist on using this thing, but which will not function as spyware?

Or, is there a "fix"?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Anything to replace Flash yet?

Post by gm10 »

Yes, it's called "tell the site owner to fix their shitty site or use a different site".
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you can block flash cookies if you want flash, but what do you use it for? if you want to block flash spyware and cookies
create a folder: /etc/adobe
inside the adobe folder create a file name it mms.cfg
open mms.cfg and paste:

Code: Select all

#EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
#OverrideGPUValidation=1
#AVHardwareDisable=1
DisableDeviceFontEnumeration=1
DisableSockets=1
ThirdPartyStorage=0
LocalStorageLimit=1
AssetCacheSize=0
FileDownloadDisable=1
FileUploadDisable=1
LegacyDomainMatching=1
ProtectedMode=0
i haven't played with flash in quite a while and at the time i was trying to accelerate flash with vdpau (nvidia) which worked most of the time. i commented out the first few entries for trouble free

but seriously do you have a flash site i can try?
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

trytip wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 amdo you have a flash site i can try?
I'm an avid outdoors person. Lots of sites I visit everyday still use Flash. I think this one below in the link uses Flash. It is a streaming webcam for a 24/7 fishing pier on the upper Texas coast.

Once on the page, you'll have to scroll on down the page until you see the streaming webcam for the fishing pier. If you don't have Flash installed, you won't be able to see the streaming webcam for the pier.

BTW, this streaming webcam lets you control the camera for different positions of the pier. The camera control button is located on the lower right side of the window and once you have control of the camera, the different positions are on the upper right of the window in a drop down menu.

https://saltwater-recon.com/galveston-fishing-pier/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

trytip wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 am you can block flash cookies if you want flash, but what do you use it for? if you want to block flash spyware and cookies
open mms.cfg and paste:

#OverrideGPUValidation=1
#AVHardwareDisable=1
DisableSockets=1
ThirdPartyStorage=0
LocalStorageLimit=1
AssetCacheSize=0
FileDownloadDisable=1
FileUploadDisable=1
LegacyDomainMatching=1
ProtectedMode=0
i haven't played with flash in quite a while and at the time i was trying to accelerate flash with vdpau (nvidia) which worked most of the time. i commented out the first few entries for trouble free

but seriously do you have a flash site i can try?
Thanks for that.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Night Wing wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 am I'm an avid outdoors person. Lots of sites I visit everyday still use Flash. I think this one below in the link uses Flash. It is a streaming webcam for a 24/7 fishing pier on the upper Texas coast.
Just google another webcam for the same pier? First google result, needs no flash: http://www.61stpier.com/pier-cam/

And/or, as I said, tell the site owner of the original site to stop using flash. As you pointed out, it's 2018, no excuse. Even Adobe doesn't want flash anymore.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:25 am
Night Wing wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 am I'm an avid outdoors person. Lots of sites I visit everyday still use Flash. I think this one below in the link uses Flash. It is a streaming webcam for a 24/7 fishing pier on the upper Texas coast.
Just google another webcam for the same pier? First google result, needs no flash: http://www.61stpier.com/pier-cam/
The link you posted is for the 61st Street Pier which "doesn't" use Flash. The link I posted is for the 91st Street Pier which "does" use Flash. They are two "different" fishing piers.

Go back to the link I posted and in the "lower left corner" of the window you'll see the name of the pier which is 91st. And if you don't have Flash installed, you won't see the name.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Night Wing wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:00 am Go back to the link I posted and in the "lower left corner" of the window you'll see the name of the pier which is 91st. And if you don't have Flash installed, you won't see the name.
No I know. I don't have flash installed, I refuse to use sites that require it.

Still, my point was that you might find a working webcam for the correct pier that doesn't need flash. Or you talk to the site owners and ask them to drop flash. Or you install flash after all. Those are your options.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Flash is being replaced pretty quickly by HTML5 but there's going to be Flash content on the web for a while yet.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:17 am
trytip wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 am you can block flash cookies if you want flash, but what do you use it for? if you want to block flash spyware and cookies
open mms.cfg and paste:

#OverrideGPUValidation=1
#AVHardwareDisable=1
DisableSockets=1
ThirdPartyStorage=0
LocalStorageLimit=1
AssetCacheSize=0
FileDownloadDisable=1
FileUploadDisable=1
LegacyDomainMatching=1
ProtectedMode=0
Thanks for that.
if you use this (which is mainly for mozilla browsers or browsers that use adobe flash) and you experience a blue tint on youtube using flash then either disable hardware acceleration by rightclick on youtube video adobe settings and UNtick video acceleration or UNcomment out the #AVHardwareDisable=1

but only do it if your videos have the blue tint (red turns into blue for some reason in the older flash, have no clue about the new)
i can't even be certain youtube allows flash any longer.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

trytip:

The site I was referring to is MSNBC.com, which says it requires Flash.

Let me be clear, I don't want Flash, my opinion of it is similar to gm10's, it just seems that some sites need it.

Are there any other precautions I should take when using that file? Also, is there a way to restrict Flash to only sites that I specify?

Can HTML 5 play Flash content?

Thanks.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

https://saltwater-recon.com/galveston-fishing-pier/ this site works fine in chrome. i have flash to ask by default which means flash is blocked unless you allow. once you allow it will whitelist that site. the exception can be later removed if needed when you paste chrome://settings/content/flash in addressbar

i don't use firefox since it went all quantum and they make their privacy settings too spread out. it was you could quickly remove all traces of cookies/cache/history with one click now it takes about 4 or more
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

trytip:

Wow! Now I have more questions:

Chrome, I have understood, is a Google product, so how could it ever be trusted?

What is "quantum" as in:
i don't use firefox since it went all quantum
I am not a firefox fan either, however, I have always thought of it as in the "best of the worst" category, since it is riddled with "features" that are a BIG mal au derriere.

Thanks.
Last edited by WHVW on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

chrome doesn't actually use flash it's pepperflash the google version of it. why wouldn't you trust google? billions of people use it everyday. not to say that they don't collect data, but if you know how to prevent it, then a chrome browser is just that, a browser.
quantum is the name they gave firefox after it became version 70, the mozilla people in an attempt to catch up to chrome redesigned it and said to have developed it for better performance and speed. then again if you open about:config in firefox and search for google ... you draw your own conclusion

if you want to test your flash cookies the only test i know of is http://ip-check.info/?lang=en and hit start the test. don't take too much of this seriously this site is designed to be used with jondofox vpn and firefox profile, but still it ads a bit of food for thought. you have to allow flash to actually test it, remember to delete the exception chrome://settings/content/flash in chromium browsers

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

trytip:

About the file to protect from
flash spyware and cookies
I understood Flash's danger to be intrinsic, in other words, revealing your i.p. address (for example), is something it does as part of it's operation, not because of a cookie or an additional piece of spyware/software sneaked into it. Would stopping spyware and cookies be enough? Please help me here, I want to get it right, and I just don't know how this works.

Even if I thought Chrome was O.K., this machine is at it's limit, not even a sledge hammer could make it fit.

Thanks.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

the mms.cfg file only works with mozilla browsers or browsers that use adobe flash. i have no clue how it's used for spyware. every search on that only give you tidbits about how hackers use flash to do spyware stuff but they never actually explain how. even linux youtubers do the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyCLMp2rR0c if you can make sense of it it's more than i did.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

trytip:

Looked at that link you posted. I can comprehend enough of it to see that there is no "socially redeeming value" to Flash. If a site insists on using it, it is best to just forgo the site. There are apparently no workarounds; perhaps HTML 5 will run those sites, but that I do not know.

Thanks
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Anything to replace Flash yet? No Solution possible

Post by heavy metal »

I have read on internet somewhere, I don't remember now that Google Chrome and Adobe itself will stop support for Flash Player in 2020, maybe if you Google it you can find some news about it!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
redlined

Re: Anything to replace Flash yet? No Solution possible

Post by redlined »

hi WHVW and all!

I had read this thread the other day and today remembered it as i stumbled upon some flash alternatives for firefox (since chrome/chromium uses ppapi = pepperflash, it's good), both devs look a little older but since flash is still around and some of these may be of help.

Fresh player a ppapi wrapper for npapi use by webupd8

shumway firefox HTML5 extension

Lightspark (browser plugins&stand alone app)

I imagine full npapi replacement will happen soon as firefox will refuse to load flash plugin when adobe stops security updates for flash end of 2020, they've still got a year and change left before it's y2k bug last minute, so no hurry...yet :evil:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ns/Roadmap

Return to “Software & Applications”