Ubuntu Advantage Tools [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Ubuntu Advantage Tools [solved]

Post by lewtwo »

I just did an update to a computer with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit, MATE 1.18.0.
That update included something called: Ubuntu Advantage Tools

Setting up ubuntu-advantage-tools (10ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
Setting up ubuntu-minimal (1.361.2) ...
Setting up apt-transport-https (1.2.29) ...
Setting up friendly-recovery (0.2.31ubuntu2) ...
Generating grub configuration file ...
Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.

I thought Ubuntu Advantage was supposed to be Canonical's commercial support package ?????
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Ubuntu Advantage Tools

Post by trytip »

you can remove the first three. i don't have them installed
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

trytip wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:14 am you can remove the first three. i don't have them installed
I had the Ubuntu packages on my system. Any idea how they got there?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

what did you install, once the original LinuxMint system was working ?.

you've installed some program that was not in the LiniuxMint repository,
and via some PPA ? ?. maybe. .. what was that ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

It could be anything. I'm thinking it's because I always install the recommended packages that maybe it got added. As a test, I removed ubuntu-advantage-tools and ubuntu-minimal came with it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's pre-installed in Cinnamon 19. Probably because ubuntu-minimal is a meta-package that draws in a number of basic packages needed for Ubuntu and Mint and some that probably aren't really needed.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:56 am I had the Ubuntu packages on my system. Any idea how they got there?
ubuntu-minimal is part of the Linux Mint 18.3 installation and ubuntu-advantage-tools is installed as a dependency of ubuntu-minimal. In other words, both are legit.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

today i started mint 17.3 mate and check for updates ubuntu-minimal was the only package available in upgrades but it wanted to install ubuntu-advantage-tools
i canceled the upgrade and marked ubuntu-minimal to be removed.
Last edited by trytip on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:27 pm anyone reading this should do the same or check that you don't have these packages installed
Why? Because you don't want them?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 am
trytip wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:27 pm anyone reading this should do the same or check that you don't have these packages installed
Why? Because you don't want them?
why do i need them? mint 17.3 was fine without the advantage of Canonical, why now it's mandatory?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not saying that you need them. I'm asking why now all of a sudden everyone 'should' get rid of them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 am I'm not saying that you need them. I'm asking why now all of a sudden everyone 'should' get rid of them.
:lol: and i'm genuinely asking why do i need them? isn't the advantage tools for businesses with ubuntu servers? does mint need it?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The ubuntu-advantage-tools scripts don't hurt anybody, there is no reason to remove them. They are needed for Ubuntu Advantage customers and as a hard dependency of ubuntu-minimal its removal may hurt you down the line because that meta package is expected to be installed on all Ubuntu systems and thus future system updates may rely on dependencies installed by it.

Therefore I advise against removing this package.

What you can do if you're not an Ubuntu Advantage customer and are not planning to become one, is to remove the daily cron job. It does nothing if it doesn't find a subscription, anyway, but if you feel like removing something that's the part you can safely remove:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -v /etc/cron.daily/ubuntu-advantage-tools
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

why do i need them? mint 17.3 was fine without the advantage of Canonical, why now it's mandatory?
I could be wrong (it happened once before) but Linux Mint is based (aka dependent) on Canonical's Ubuntu.

Having said that there might be some question as to these proprietary Canonical Advantage programs being "open source".
So I actually went looking for the source files. What I found under /ubuntu-advantage-script/debian/source was merely a description file.
I did find a set of script files that seem to have something to do with "Canonical Livepatch Service":
https://github.com/CanonicalLtd/ubuntu-advantage-script

Turns out that is a "free" service for up to three(3) machines with a Ubuntu One account.
https://www.ubuntu.com/livepatch

... clear as mud.

P.S.
I did not intend to start any kind of controversy with my original question.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you're not causing and controversies it's just a discussion and any user can draw their own conclusion and do as they please with their computer.
i didn't need it a week ago when it wasn't a dependency for my system and i won't need it 2 years from now. i'm quite sure that if a user does need some ubuntu advantage tools, they should be capable enough to know how to get it working.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm any user can draw their own conclusion and do as they please with their computer.
Sounds good to me. A whole lot better than "anyone reading this should do the same or check that you don't have these packages installed". :wink:

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

When you go into Software and Updates in Ubuntu 18.04 you will see a reference to LivePatch which ubuntu-advantage enables:
LivePatch.png
Login with your Ubuntu Single-Sign-On account and you too can update your kernel without a reboot.

See ... it's an advantage .. you know ... to using Ubuntu ... get it?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

I think we covered the issue. I am going to add [solved] at the end of the original subject header.

Thanks to all.
Acetone
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ubuntu Advantage Tools [solved]

Post by Acetone »

The issue you pointed out was Mint pushing ubuntu-advantage-tools to you, which you don't want.
You marked the issue solved but I fail to understand how you solved it. Shall you explain what you did?

I'm having the very same issue: updating ubuntu-meta pushes ubuntu-advantage-tools (which I do not want) and so far the only solution I have is to blacklist ubuntu-meta in Update Manager.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ubuntu Advantage Tools [solved]

Post by lewtwo »

My problems were:
1) I did not know what it was
2) Did not want something that I might eventually have to pay for
3) Was not open source

I have a better understanding of what it is although I probably do not need it and will likely never use it.
It is not something that I will ever have to pay for because I have an UbuntuOne account that I never use ... of course Canonical could change their policy and it would become an issue at that time.
It seems that all that is really part of the package is a set of scripts to hook into "Canonical Livepatch Service". Those script files are published.

So my issues are solved.
Yours may not be.

cheers :)

Return to “Software & Applications”