Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Thunderbird won't send bolded text

Post by EdQld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:39 am

I'm running Mint 18.3 and have recently found my outgoing emails don't show my bolded text, instead have such text marked with a * before and after such text

I have spent ages changing all sorts of preferences without effect :?

Running TB on my wife’s Mint 17.2 doesn't have this problem (although I see the problem with emails sent to her by my PC) and I checked that all her preference settings are the same as mine :(

Any suggestions?

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thunderbird won't send bolded text

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 am

EdQld wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:39 am
?
This is something I found that may be your problem.
https://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/16/switc ... underbird/
NOTE: The above page states; "You open the Account Settings with a click on Tools > Account Settings. If the menu bar is not displayed by default, unhide it with a tap on the Alt-key on the keyboard." You need to right click on your account in the left column to get to settings of each account you may have. Under composition&addressing make sure compose in html is checked.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks haveamint, nice article you linked to, unfortunately it has not solved my problem :(

My edition of TB has Account Settings under Edit and going there sees Signature text checked for "Use HTML" (I only have the one Account)

Composition & Addressing also has "Compose messages in HTML" checked

Under View > Message Body as > "Original HTML" is also selected

So I'm still at a loss as to why this is happening

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am

EdQld wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 am
Thanks haveamint, nice article you linked to, unfortunately it has not solved my problem :(

My edition of TB has Account Settings under Edit and going there sees Signature text checked for "Use HTML" (I only have the one Account)

Composition & Addressing also has "Compose messages in HTML" checked

Under View > Message Body as > "Original HTML" is also selected

So I'm still at a loss as to why this is happening
Hmmm. I suggest to rename /home/you/.thunderbird to .thunderbirdold and setup your acct again making no changes to any settings and send an email with bold to the wife’s email and see if it works, if it does then something is either corrupt in the ~old or something was changed by you. If the new is working then you can copy your mail to the new.

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Ok, I renamed the .Thunderbird file as you suggested and then deleted TB and re-installed it

I then copied the files from thunderbirdOLD into the new one, so I could keep all my existing folder & emails, but the problem still exists

So copying those files might have brought the problem to the new version? If that is the case, how do I go about repeating the fresh install and then also recover my old folders/emails without bringing the problem over as well?

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 am

I created my email account in the re-installed TB and was then able to send emails with the correct "bolded" text :)

Now I have that working but no longer have my Address Book or the Folders/emails from my old TB, how do I get them back? The ThunderbirdOLD is still on my PC, so is there a way of extracting them from this Folder?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thunderbird won't send bolded text (SOLVED)

Post by EdQld » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am

Success!

I deleted the Local Folder from my new TB and copied in the Local Folder from the ThunderbirdOLD and all my Folders/mail are back and the program is still working properly :)

OK, I tried the same with the Address Book, deleted the .mab files and copied in the .mab files from the backup, ouch! Problem back again :(

There must be a bug in the Address Book, so I exported the address book to my desktop, deleted the .mab files again and imported the saved exported Address Book, phew! But hey, that did the trick and I have my Address Book back and the program is working again :D

Thanks for your support, gave me the incentive to try these other actions which led to success 8)

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thunderbird won't send bolded text (SOLVED)

Post by HaveaMint » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 am

EdQld wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am
Success!
I missed the several last posts you posted but it appears you figured it all out. I am glad you got it working again. :D

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:39 am

I have often had to export stuff to a TEXT file, and then import it again so that it is now 'clean of junk'.

Dave Albiston
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave Albiston » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:24 am

EdQld wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am
There must be a bug in the Address Book
If you edit a contact, you can set the formatting for emails to that person. You may have set your wife to Plain Text.

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am

That's interesting, I don't think I did that (or emails sent to myself), but I can't definitely rule that out, so I will now be aware of this going forward :)

Return to “Software & Applications”