Latest update of Thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Latest update of Thunderbird

Post by looren »

Hi

I'm wondering, is anyone else having issues after the 60.2.1 update of Thunderbird? Since its updated, Thunderbird has become dreadfully slow or can even stop responding completely.

Been looking to switch client, but can't find any other which has tabs for emails. If anyone knows of a client that does besides Thunderbird, please do let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Latest update of Thunderbird

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have become so disgusted with TB, that I uninstalled it.
I now only use the websites direct for my email.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not having any issues. I've installed that update and everything is working as it should.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

Strange.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird, but still same results. Starting without addons and in safe mode makes no difference.
Oh well, I'll just have to learn to live with the crappynes :/ Cant understand why no other client has implemented tabs, its so dang useful when dealing with a lot of email.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I always block updates on Firefox and Thunderbird in my update manager until I'm sure from other's reports that there won't likely be a problem in doing so.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You are not alone, looren.

While Thunderbird version 52 worked fine, the upgrade to version 60 does not. Lengthy delays are experienced when first opened while email addresses are checked with the host.

Disabling Add-ons had no remedial effect.

I can avoid the delay if I select "Sent" (or any other mail folder) prior to shutting down Thunderbird. If "Inbox" is highlighted prior to exit and subsequent re-start of Thunderbird, there will be a delay of about 20 - 30 seconds.

In order to find the cause I have re-installed Thunderbird and imported all my emails from backups. Removing several years of accumulated emails reduces the delays but does not remove them entirely.

Note that if you want to remove Thunderbird you will also have to remove the hidden .thunderbird folder in your home directory but back it up to a USB stick first in case you want to restore it - it contains all your emails and addresses.

All my emails have been imported to Claws Mail which is faster, leaner and more efficient than Thunderbird and suffers no delays.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

No problems here with 60.2.1
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

kyphi; Thanks for the reply.
Okay, well, I'd rather not remove any old emails, even it it would improve or even solve the problem :/

I've tied Claws just briefly, although it seems fast and clean it still lacks the support for tabs. It sucks to have the task-bar propagated with 15 windows just because there are unanswered emails as well I want to be able to handle a reboot without having to dig through the inbox. I'm not sure why more email clients hasn't implemented tabs yet as it really helps with keeping track of work.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

60.2.1 here works fine (64bit). I use IMAP for all my e-mails so all my old stuff is kept on their servers. Unless, of course, something is so critical that I cannot afford to lose it then I have a local copy and a hard copy.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

That Thunderbird version 60 works fine for most users is understood. If it did not work properly there would have been another update.

The fact is, that it does not work as expected for the OP, looren, nor does it work for me.

I am in the process of trying this and that to fix it. Purge, re-install, everything works fine. As soon as my 11 years of accumulated emails are imported it plays up. I had a bug listed with Bugzilla but cancelled it after Thunderbird worked for the day (Flash disabled) but resumed its bad behaviour next morning on boot. At the moment I am stumped as to what the cause might be. I can certainly invoke it at will and also circumvent it as outlined in my post above.

This is not my post but if anyone has some constructive comment to make, I too would be most interested. IMAP would seem like a logical solution, however, it has worked perfectly with PoP before. SSL is a given.

@looren
Claws Mail is almost infinitely configurable but takes a while to learn, certainly more than a day. What are tabs in an email client and what is a task-bar?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

kyphi;
Task bar = panel, may be I should drop the windows terminology :)
Tabs = individual pages or documents contained in the program, as with in any modern web-browser.
chrissixxx1

Post by chrissixxx1 »

It is killing my CPU since the update. 170% today. I have tried a couple of suggestions off other message boards which means it works a little better, but there is still an issue. Very frustrating.
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

chrissixxx1;
Even stranger then. I'm not experiencing any noticeable load, even when there is slowdown personally.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you have a regular backup routine, you can uninstall Thunderbird and delete .thunderbird (in your home directory) without any loss of data. Alternatively you can save .thunderbird to a USB stick prior to deletion from your home directory and all your emails and addresses will be safe.

Using a fresh installation of Thunderbird version 60 with 2 email (POP) accounts configured, there is no perceptible lag. As soon as emails are transferred from the backup, lag is noticed. Deleting several years of emails, including images attached or embedded, reduces the lag but does not eliminate it entirely. The size of accumulated email reduction was from 1.3 GB to 500 MB. Thunderbird version 60 is now usable and the lag is tolerable.

Thunderbird version 52 with 1.3 GB of accumulated emails suffered no such lag.
Claws Mail version 3.16.0 with 1.3 GB of accumulated emails suffers no lag.

Further information on memory use may be found here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems

Thunderbird version 64 beta, same lag. All Thunderbirds now exiled.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”