[SOLVED] Cannot read file permissions of shortcuts created on desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

[SOLVED] Cannot read file permissions of shortcuts created on desktop

Post by JerryF »

Hi all,

I'm getting prepared to move my partner from 18.3 to 19. I don't want to do an in-place upgrade because I've run the simulation and there were LOTS of errors, plus his system is getting strange, hence the fresh install of 19.

Here's the situation: right now, he has URL shortcuts on his desktop. Most work fine, a couple hang and give a message about needing to create Permissions...

I've been trying to check on the permissions of these shortcut files using his file manager (18.3 Cinnamon) and none can determined. I get the message:

The permissions of <nameofshortcut> could not be determined. When I check the ownership and permissions of Desktop with stat -c '%a %A %U %G %n' *, I get

Code: Select all

755 drwxr-xr-x jim jim Desktop
and the files within Desktop are all

664 -rw-rw-r-- jim jim <filename1>.desktop
664 -rw-rw-r-- jim jim <filename2>.desktop
664 -rw-rw-r-- jim jim <filename3>.desktop
They are exactly like mine are on my laptop, but obviously with me as owner and group.

Now here's the kicker---after installing a fresh Mint 19, I copied those shortcuts to the 19 desktop and the results are the same: The permissions of <nameofshortcut> could not be determined.

What could be happening with the files in 18.3 and 19?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cannot read file permissions of shortcuts created on desktop

Post by lsemmens »

I have a heap of those sorts of launchers that do that on a first run after installing a new OS, but once I double click on them and Linux tells me that the permissions are suspect, if I tell it to allow them, I never have the trouble again with that launcher on that computer. If you have hundreds of launchers, however, it could be a bit tedious working through each one.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 am I have a heap of those sorts of launchers that do that on a first run after installing a new OS, but once I double click on them and Linux tells me that the permissions are suspect, if I tell it to allow them, I never have the trouble again with that launcher on that computer. If you have hundreds of launchers, however, it could be a bit tedious working through each one.
Thanks for replying. When I click on the launchers, they open Chrome and go to the URL. I don't get a message about the permissions being suspect and no prompt to allow them.

I'm at the point where I'm going to reinstall 19 and create the shortcuts one by one, instead of copying them from 18.3
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Well, I just did a fresh install of 19 on the desktop.

The first thing I did was to open Firefox. In a fresh install, that opens the Linux Mint page.

I then proceeded to drag the URL onto the desktop.

When I clicked on the newly-created shortcut, it opened Linux Mint page, which it should.

Then I checked permissions by right-clicking and choosing Properties.

Again, permissions can't be determined.

:cry:
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

find /home/jim/Desktop -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 744
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JerryF wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am I then proceeded to drag the URL onto the desktop.

When I clicked on the newly-created shortcut, it opened Linux Mint page, which it should.

I already explained this to you a few months ago when you asked the same question:
gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 pm The question is what's in those .desktop files. If they are of type=link then it's normal that the permissions fail because the file browser tries to determine the permissions of the link target, and a linked URL doesn't have any.

You can avoid that by creating them as application type with xdg-open <url> as the command.
I feel slightly hurt that you would forget. :D <3
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

gm10 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:46 pm
JerryF wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am I then proceeded to drag the URL onto the desktop.

I already explained this to you a few months ago when you asked the same question:
gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 pm The question is what's in those .desktop files. If they are of type=link then it's normal that the permissions fail because the file browser tries to determine the permissions of the link target, and a linked URL doesn't have any.

You can avoid that by creating them as application type with xdg-open <url> as the command.
I feel slightly hurt that you would forget. :D <3
Really sorry about that gm10. :oops: So much has been going on in my life and my memory retention isn't what it used to be. I can remember things from 35 years ago, but ask me about last year (or whenever), :?:

Side note: I did another installation of 19, now it was Xfce instead of Cinnamon and dragging a URL to the desktop works. I can see the permissions from Properties and the link opens the web browser to the URL.

My partner is going to get Xfce, which I have on my laptop.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

administrollaattori wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:33 pm

find /home/jim/Desktop -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 744
As I told gm10, I'm going to install Xfce. Seeing permissions works from properties and the links open the URLs.

Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JerryF wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pmReally sorry about that gm10. :oops: So much has been going on in my life and my memory retention isn't what it used to be. I can remember things from 35 years ago, but ask me about last year (or whenever), :?:
No worries, I was joking. In fact I was astonished at myself for remembering that we had even talked about it. It was so insignificant. I probably lost some important information instead to make room for this. ;)
JerryF wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pm Side note: I did another installation of 19, now it was Xfce instead of Cinnamon and dragging a URL to the desktop works. I can see the permissions from Properties and the link opens the web browser to the URL.
Interesting. I know that both Cinnamon and MATE show you the properties of the link target, not the link itself. It's probably by design. I didn't know Xfce took a different approach.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot read file permissions of shortcuts created on desktop

Post by lsemmens »

The only issue I foresee with using xfce is that file sharing is a little more convoluted than in Cinnamon. I had to set xfce up on a small lappy that is my spare and file sharing does not work "out of the box" on that.
Fully mint Household
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:15 pm The only issue I foresee with using xfce is that file sharing is a little more convoluted than in Cinnamon. I had to set xfce up on a small lappy that is my spare and file sharing does not work "out of the box" on that.
Thanks for that advice. I've never had good luck with file sharing in either DE.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It was simple enough to set up, it just does not work "out of the box" There is a thread that I started asking about it. If you can find that, you'll see some very useful answers there.
Fully mint Household
luth3r

Post by luth3r »

Thanks mate been looking for a solution on this for a while.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 pm It was simple enough to set up, it just does not work "out of the box" There is a thread that I started asking about it. If you can find that, you'll see some very useful answers there.
I will! Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”