Solved - Copying an ISO DVD to USB Thumb Drive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Palladini
Level 4
Level 4

Solved - Copying an ISO DVD to USB Thumb Drive

Post by Palladini »

I have a Windows 7 Pro disk I need to copy to USB Thumb Drive. Is there an existing App running on Linux Mint 19, or how would I do in the Terminal? I ask this becasue when Installing Windows, my Desktop installation stops because it needs a driver for the DVD drive, and everything I tried to get the driver from wants to use use a program on a running system, just not give me driver for the drive
I Intend to run Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and Windows 7 Pro on separate Hard Drives, because i Found Running Linux Mint and windows on a 500 GB Hard Drive, Windows ran out of room.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[b]I love Linux Mint 21.1 Vanessa Cinnamon[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Copying an ISO DVD to USB Thumb Drive

Post by rickNS »

Palladini wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:48 am when Installing Windows, my Desktop installation stops because it needs a driver for the DVD drive,
This makes no sense, (to me anyway) pretty much any computer that has a CD/DVD drive should boot from a CD/DVD without any need of added drivers, or even a HDD installed for that matter.
The disk must be faulty. I'd get another copy of the win7 ISO and burn it again.

Making a bootable win 7 usb is possible, and google shows a few options like this one,
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/25/windo ... sb-woeusb/
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

That's a common problem with Windows, I've seen it myself a few times over the years, Can't recall how I fixed it though. The USB stick should work. Again, haven't done that for a long time either as I have had Windows on USB since W7 came out
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I need to copy to USB Thumb Drive. Is there an existing App running on Linux Mint 19
Look for 'USB image writer' in the mint menu, installed by default. Another alternative would be mkusb but you would need to download and install this. Both of these require that you have an ISO image, not the DVD.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi Palladini,

I found this on a quick startpage search and thought it might help
(btw, startpage is google, without the nosiness;)

https://www.howtogeek.com/228886/how-to ... and-linux/
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Palladini,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.
Palladini wrote:I have a Windows 7 Pro disk I need to copy to USB Thumb Drive. Is there an existing App running on Linux Mint 19, or how would I do in the Terminal? I ask this becasue when Installing Windows, my Desktop installation stops because it needs a driver for the DVD drive, and everything I tried to get the driver from wants to use use a program on a running system, just not give me driver for the drive. I Intend to run Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and Windows 7 Pro on separate Hard Drives, because i Found Running Linux Mint and windows on a 500 GB Hard Drive, Windows ran out of room.
I too am having a little trouble understanding your post. I was able to run MS Windows and Linux Mint on a much smaller drive without issues. But since I can do everything on Linux Mint that I used to do in MS Windows, I removed MS Windows years ago.

Anyone can use a CD/DVD application like "K3b" to copy a disc to an iso file, or "AcetoneISO", and if that is a bootable disc, then you can use a USB stick image writing application to burn the disc image file (.iso) to a USB stick. There are many good applications for doing this in all Operating Systems (OS's), but for creating a bootable MS Windows USB stick, then "woeusb" is what is usually recommended, see below. As for creating bootable USB Sticks from regular disc image files, the Mint USB Image Writer is great and in your menu, "unetbootin", "Etcher", "startup disk creator", "MultiSystem", "MultibootUSB", etc...

"Woeusb" may or may not be in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"

WoeUSB - Create Bootable Windows USB Sticks from Linux
https://www.fossmint.com/woeusb-create- ... rom-linux/

WoeUSB is a simple tool that enable you to create your own usb stick windows installer
from an iso image or a real DVD. It is a fork of Congelli501's WinUSB.
Scroll down the link below to see description and more info.
https://github.com/slacka/WoeUSB

Of course, if your computer has enough resources, you can install Virtualbox and a version of MS windows in that and any MS Windows applications in that and run them while still in Linux Mint without "dual-booting".

Hope this helps ...
K3b_CopyDisc_1.jpg
K3b_CopyDisc_2.jpg
AcetoneISO-1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

"Woeusb" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"
Can you expand on this?
Not in Mint 19 repositories here
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
redlined

Post by redlined »

all41 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 am
"Woeusb" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"
Can you expand on this?
Not in Mint 19 repositories here
I have it but imagine it is because I have ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 (I have it for audacious and couple other apps he maintains)
https://launchpad.net/%7Enilarimogard/+ ... tu/webupd8
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi all41,

I updated my last reply to state the "woeUSB" may or may not be in the Mint 19 repositories, but you can install it using the instructions from the links I provided.

I have been testing Linux KDE Neon based on Ubuntu 18.04 like Linux Mint 19, and I could not get "woeUSB" to copy a Dell MS Win 7 recovery DVD to a USB stick, but it may work for others. So, I booted into Linux Mint KDE 18.3 based on Ubuntu 16.04 and woeUSB came up and acted like it worked, but I could not boot to the USB Stick. I also had to make sure the USB stick was blank and had not been formatted with any filesystem, to delete any partition(s) with filesystems, first.

I know I tested woeUSB a long time ago in Linux Mint 17.3 and it worked well?

Another Link with deb files for Linux Mint 19.x Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 18.x Ubuntu 16.04
How to Create a Bootable Windows 10 USB on Ubuntu - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/cre ... usb-ubuntu
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Palladini
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Palladini »

I thank all you for your responses, I took two days, over 17 hours to get windows 7 Pro to install on a Hard Drive. Not to worry, I do have Linux Mint 19 Sara Cinnamon installed on another Hard Drive. And just for your info installing Linux Mint took about 30 minutes or less.

I am running it this way because I had the 2 OS running on the same 500 GB Hard Drive, using Grub2 to choose and all that, but my Windows OS maxed out space it had I had the drive split in half, Linux mint on one side and Windows on the other. Both OS now sit on a pair of 500 GB Hard Drives and I have 2 2TB scratch Disks for Video Editing purposes.
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
Palladini
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Solved - Copying an ISO DVD to USB Thumb Drive

Post by Palladini »

I cannot install WoeUsb My system says no go.
redlined

Re: Solved - Copying an ISO DVD to USB Thumb Drive

Post by redlined »

Palladini wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm I cannot install WoeUsb My system says no go.
hi Palladini!

Please paste the error as copied from terminal. also, let's see if you have the PPA needed to install woeusb package, please post back the results from apt update

Return to “Software & Applications”