Virus in a winetricks steam installer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgoodwin91006
Level 3
Level 3

Virus in a winetricks steam installer

Post by bgoodwin91006 »

Hi All,
Just for the sake of being informed, my clamav anti-virus software just notified me of the presence of the Sality virus on my system. It was in the Wine Steam installer from winetricks. It had infected the Wine (32bit version) Steam-uninstaller and the Wine version of Firefox. Clamav identified all the infected files making it easy to delete the infected apps and the installer copies. Thanks clamav.
Bear in mind clamav only reports its' findings in system log/journal files or through unix mail if you have local mail service set up. I use sendmail but there are some others.
Best regards,
Bob G.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Virus in a winetricks steam installer

Post by smurphos »

Begs a question - I guess there's a use case for installing Win Steam via Wine to access Windows only Steam games but why would you ever install a Win browser via Wine when there are native Linux versions of every browser other than the MS ones?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I had a reason at one time, but I ended up installing Windows 7 in a VM after giving up on Wine. The problem was using my Cox Contour service, which Cox (and Comcast and DirecTV) blocks unless you're using Windows or Mac. There are a couple of other websites that have similar problems; Fox Sports and HBO come to mind.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 am I had a reason at one time, but I ended up installing Windows 7 in a VM after giving up on Wine. The problem was using my Cox Contour service, which Cox (and Comcast and DirecTV) blocks unless you're using Windows or Mac. There are a couple of other websites that have similar problems; Fox Sports and HBO come to mind.
Doesn't just spoofing a Windows user-agent via an extension work to get round those kind of restrictions? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... aswitcher/, https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pkjnoahfmg
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I would get farther, but it never completely worked. Cox/Comcast suck and DirecTV requires a Windows program installation. It's no biggie - I rarely watch TV.
bgoodwin91006
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bgoodwin91006 »

smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 am Begs a question - I guess there's a use case for installing Win Steam via Wine to access Windows only Steam games but why would you ever install a Win browser via Wine when there are native Linux versions of every browser other than the MS ones?
Steam won't let you download a Windows game using a Linux system. The game simply doesn't show up in the games you have paid for.
bassplayer

Post by bassplayer »

ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:42 am I would get farther, but it never completely worked. Cox/Comcast suck and DirecTV requires a Windows program installation. It's no biggie - I rarely watch TV.
I might add that trying to spoof sling.tv doesn't work either (through the browser) and must use a windows version of chrome/firefox, etc... Which is interesting because sling.tv works great under Android.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

bgoodwin91006 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:49 am
smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 am Begs a question - I guess there's a use case for installing Win Steam via Wine to access Windows only Steam games but why would you ever install a Win browser via Wine when there are native Linux versions of every browser other than the MS ones?
Steam won't let you download a Windows game using a Linux system. The game simply doesn't show up in the games you have paid for.
Wrong as long as you enable Steam Play, which is Steam's own Wine fork (Proton), which is optimized for gaming. In other words, these days there is zero reason to use a Windows version of Steam on Linux or even Wine for Steam gaming at all.
bgoodwin91006
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bgoodwin91006 »

It's my understanding that you need to be online to Steam's website to use Steam Play. I am uncomfortable with any game that requires being online but has nothing to do with online play. The game I wanted to play is 'Banished' which is a non-violent survival and colonization building game. There was no Steam Play version available so I downloaded it with Wine Firefox. BTW, the game is great if you're looking for something that presents a challenge but doesn't involve killing. More to the point, I prefer 'choices' over being lead around by the nose ring, especially when I am paying for it.

Best regards,
Bob G.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

bgoodwin91006 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm It's my understanding that you need to be online to Steam's website to use Steam Play. I am uncomfortable with any game that requires being online but has nothing to do with online play. The game I wanted to play is 'Banished' which is a non-violent survival and colonization building game. There was no Steam Play version available so I downloaded it with Wine Firefox. BTW, the game is great if you're looking for something that presents a challenge but doesn't involve killing. More to the point, I prefer 'choices' over being lead around by the nose ring, especially when I am paying for it.
What has any of that got anything to do with you making a case above for installing Steam for Windows via Wine on Linux?

Besides, your understanding is wrong. Steam has an offline mode and as I said, as long as you enable Steam Play for all titles then you can do exactly that, download all Windows titles on Linux, no specific version of the game needed, that's the whole point. General compatibility issues aside, of course, but then it wouldn't work via Wine, either.

Last but not least, you do you, if you don't like Steam, don't use Steam, it's all good with me.

Return to “Software & Applications”