Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Firefox page size not persistent - really annoying

Post by majpooper » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:53 pm

I have no idea why this just started yesterday but but when I in crease the FF page size, for example to 150%, it reverts to 100% as soon as I click on something and it goes to another page. For example I open this forum the print is a bit small at 100% so I increase it to 150% - all is good - then I click on a thread and FF reverts to the 100% small view. FF never did this in the past - once I adjusted the view (page) size it remained persistent but now it does not.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox page size not persistent - really annoying

Post by karlchen » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Hello, majpooper.

Tried to reproduce the described behaviour.
Environment: Mint 18.1 xfce, Firefox 63.0.1

Tab 1: Linux Mint forum - Bord index, set size to 90%
Each tab, which I open from inside tab 1 by right-clicking and selecting "open in new tab", will be on 90% as well.
If a new tab is opened by pressing <Ctrl>T, however, the new tab will be on 100%.

The 90% are tied to the website, which had been opened, when the zoom factor was changed.
As long as I navigate inside the forum between threads and posts, the 90% will be preserved.

As soon as I navigate to a different webpage outside the forum in the same tab, that webpage will be displayed at 100%.
If I navigate back to the forum using <Alt><cursor Left>, the forum pages will be displayed at 90%.

If this is what you see, then I must admit that I cannot tell whether this behaviour was different in previous Firefox versions.

One thing which I do know is that if Firefox has been configured to discard website specific settings on exit, then next time the forum website gets loaded in a fresh Firefox session, the pages will be displayed at 100% again.

Sorry if this does not really help you achieve the desired behaviour.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Tried to reproduce the described behaviour.
Environment: Mint 18.1 xfce, Firefox 63.0.1
I am on FF 60.2.2 (LMDE3 Cinnamon)
Tab 1: Linux Mint forum - Bord index, set size to 90%
Each tab, which I open from inside tab 1 by right-clicking and selcting "open in new tab", will be on 90% as well.
If a new tab is opened by pressing <Ctrl>T, however, the new tab will be on 100%.
Tab 1: Linux Mint forum - Bord index, set size to 150%
Each tab, which I open from inside tab 1 by right-clicking and selcting "open in new tab", will be on 100% .
The 90% are tied the website, which had been opened, when the zoom factor was changed.
As long as I navigate inside the forum between threads and posts, the 90% will be preserved.
The 100% are tied the website [where is this tied to the website ? - this may be the answer], which had been opened, when the zoom factor was changed.
As long as I navigate inside the forum between threads and posts, the 150% is not preserved - THIS IS THE ISSUE
One thing which I do know is that if Firefox has been configured to discard website specific settings on exit, then next time the forum website gets loaded in a fresh Firefox session, the pages will be displayed at 100% again.
Where is Firefox has been configured for website specific settings? - I cannot find anything in Preferences

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 pm

For now the not so great solution is to use Chromium

EDIT: FF just fixed itself a day later - I am not a drinking man - never touch the stuff but this might make me start.

Return to “Software & Applications”