Move open apps to new panel

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Move open apps to new panel

Post by borgward »

I moved the default panel to top of screen and added new panel to bottom. I have always had applets display on top panel and open applications display on bottom panel. I am not able to do this in panel edit mode. I have 19 cinnamon on another computer and am able to do this. I have 19 Cinnamon v2 on the one I am having trouble with.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Move open apps to new panel

Post by rickNS »

borgward wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 pm I moved the default panel to top of screen and added new panel to bottom. I have always had applets display on top panel and open applications display on bottom panel. I am not able to do this in panel edit mode. I have 19 cinnamon on another computer and am able to do this. I have 19 Cinnamon v2 on the one I am having trouble with.
I know what I'd do / try, but first, (as you may have already)
How were you able to do it on 19 cinnamon ?
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

In panel edit mode you need to be sure your drag and drop drop zone is in one of the 3 coloured panel zones. In a fresh panel with no existing applets these are set at the far left, far right and right in the middle of the panel Your mouse should change to indicate you are hovering over the right place as you drag. How this looks with depend on your theme - unfortunately it's not obvious enough in a lot of themes including the stock ones. The default width / height of the drop zones is theme controlled as-well.

This is a theme that does it well - it's one of mine... :mrgreen:

Sometimes it's easier just to right click on the existing applet and select remove from panel and right click on the new panel and select add to panel to bring up the Applet menu.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

rickNS wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:02 am
borgward wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 pm I moved the default panel to top of screen and added new panel to bottom. I have always had applets display on top panel and open applications display on bottom panel. I am not able to do this in panel edit mode. I have 19 cinnamon on another computer and am able to do this. I have 19 Cinnamon v2 on the one I am having trouble with.
I know what I'd do / try, but first, (as you may have already)
How were you able to do it on 19 cinnamon ?
Sorry. I forgot I took 19 Cinnamon off that machine and reinstalled 18 Cinnamon.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:30 am In panel edit mode you need to be sure your drag and drop drop zone is in one of the 3 coloured panel zones. In a fresh panel with no existing applets these are set at the far left, far right and right in the middle of the panel Your mouse should change to indicate you are hovering over the right place as you drag. How this looks with depend on your theme - unfortunately it's not obvious enough in a lot of themes including the stock ones. The default width / height of the drop zones is theme controlled as-well.

This is a theme that does it well - it's one of mine... :mrgreen:

Sometimes it's easier just to right click on the existing applet and select remove from panel and right click on the new panel and select add to panel to bring up the Applet menu.
I R clicked on panel > Troubleshoot > restart Cinnamon. After no result I completely shutdown and restarted. I then had to really cram icons I was moving hard into the appropriate corner of the bottom panel. That worked.

Return to “Software & Applications”