Mint 19 - Screensaver

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
jsimmonstx
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 am

Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by jsimmonstx » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 pm

The xscreensaver installed with Mint 19 doesn't include all of the settings available with the standard xscreensaver. Specifically, the XMatrix screen saver does not allow me to specify the speed and density of the text being displayed.

Is there a way to change these settings without replacing the mint version with the standard version?

User avatar
smurphos
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by smurphos » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am

If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

If not then apt install xscreensaver, then run xscreensaver-demo. Click through the warnings about xscreensaver not being active and then amend settings as you wish.

jsimmonstx
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 am

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by jsimmonstx » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:44 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am
If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

If not then apt install xscreensaver, then run xscreensaver-demo. Click through the warnings about xscreensaver not being active and then amend settings as you wish.
Yeah, I already looked in ~/.xscreensaver, but there's nothing about xmatrix in that file.

I have a laptop running ubuntu using xscreensaver with XMatrix selected and configured the way I want, and the settings dialog shows the following command line:

xmatrix -root -small -insert bottom -no-trace -no-knock-knock -delay 37121 -density 15

but I haven't been able to find where this command line is used (I'm fairly new to Linux).

It's a mystery (actually more of an annoyance) as to why Mint doesn't make the same settings available as the normal xscreensaver.

jsimmonstx
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 am

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by jsimmonstx » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am
If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

If not then apt install xscreensaver, then run xscreensaver-demo. Click through the warnings about xscreensaver not being active and then amend settings as you wish.
I tried what you suggested, but the settings I specified in XScreensaver-demo didn't stick (apparently ignored by the built-in xscreensaver).

User avatar
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 am
Location: Hythe, Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by ultraviolet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:18 pm

jsimmonstx wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm
smurphos wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am
If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

If not then apt install xscreensaver, then run xscreensaver-demo. Click through the warnings about xscreensaver not being active and then amend settings as you wish.
I tried what you suggested, but the settings I specified in XScreensaver-demo didn't stick (apparently ignored by the built-in xscreensaver).
i have the same problem, and just popped on here to see if there was a way around this. my chosen screensaver is 'GLslideshow' and i can only choose which folder to display all other options don't stick while using xscreensaver.
is there any way to make xscreensaver default ?
“Your as addicted as I am”

User avatar
smurphos
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher...

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by smurphos » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:59 am

This probably still works -

viewtopic.php?p=924021#p924021

Don't hold out on this being fixed - plugin support is removed entirely from Cinnamon 4's screensaver as it's a factor causing the Cinnamon screen-locker failing to lock on some hardware.

If you ever want to make the default Cinnamon screenlocker a bit more interesting I've got a random-photo slideshow script for it I first posted a while back - viewtopic.php?p=1507726#p1507726

User avatar
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 am
Location: Hythe, Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by ultraviolet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am

Excellent! Thanks for the info :-)


Surely wouldn’t it be better to replace a program which isn’t working rather than remove parts of its key functionality
“Your as addicted as I am”

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by JosephM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 am

ultraviolet wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am
Excellent! Thanks for the info :-)


Surely wouldn’t it be better to replace a program which isn’t working rather than remove parts of its key functionality
To be fair, support for the ancient and unsupported xscreensavers is hardly key functionality.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

User avatar
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 am
Location: Hythe, Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by ultraviolet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:54 pm

JosephM wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 am
ultraviolet wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am
Excellent! Thanks for the info :-)


Surely wouldn’t it be better to replace a program which isn’t working rather than remove parts of its key functionality
To be fair, support for the ancient and unsupported xscreensavers is hardly key functionality.
So like I said above, why change to a more recent and supported screensaver
“Your as addicted as I am”

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by JosephM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 pm

So like I said above, why change to a more recent and supported screensaver
We did. It the current Cinnamon lock screen. Things like xscreensaver no longer exist as far as I know. They are no longer needed with modern monitors and most people don't want them. They serve no purpose other than using uneeded power. Many people use laptops nowadays and don't want something like this just killing their batteries.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

User avatar
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 am
Location: Hythe, Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by ultraviolet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 pm

JosephM wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 pm
So like I said above, why change to a more recent and supported screensaver
We did. It the current Cinnamon lock screen. Things like xscreensaver no longer exist as far as I know. They are no longer needed with modern monitors and most people don't want them. They serve no purpose other than using uneeded power. Many people use laptops nowadays and don't want something like this just killing their batteries.
Nice, strange it's not been taken out of the default Mint install and just leave the screenlocker in.
I'm not complaining as i love a good screensaver :-)
“Your as addicted as I am”

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”