Mint 19 - Screensaver

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsimmonstx

Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by jsimmonstx »

The xscreensaver installed with Mint 19 doesn't include all of the settings available with the standard xscreensaver. Specifically, the XMatrix screen saver does not allow me to specify the speed and density of the text being displayed.

Is there a way to change these settings without replacing the mint version with the standard version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint 19 - Screensaver

Post by smurphos »

If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

If not then apt install xscreensaver, then run xscreensaver-demo. Click through the warnings about xscreensaver not being active and then amend settings as you wish.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jsimmonstx

Post by jsimmonstx »

smurphos wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

If not then apt install xscreensaver, then run xscreensaver-demo. Click through the warnings about xscreensaver not being active and then amend settings as you wish.
Yeah, I already looked in ~/.xscreensaver, but there's nothing about xmatrix in that file.

I have a laptop running ubuntu using xscreensaver with XMatrix selected and configured the way I want, and the settings dialog shows the following command line:

xmatrix -root -small -insert bottom -no-trace -no-knock-knock -delay 37121 -density 15

but I haven't been able to find where this command line is used (I'm fairly new to Linux).

It's a mystery (actually more of an annoyance) as to why Mint doesn't make the same settings available as the normal xscreensaver.
jsimmonstx

Post by jsimmonstx »

smurphos wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 am If you know your way around the xscreensaver config file you can edit it directly. It's a hidden file in your home folder - ~/.xscreensaver

I tried what you suggested, but the settings I specified in XScreensaver-demo didn't stick (apparently ignored by the built-in xscreensaver).
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

jsimmonstx wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I tried what you suggested, but the settings I specified in XScreensaver-demo didn't stick (apparently ignored by the built-in xscreensaver).
i have the same problem, and just popped on here to see if there was a way around this. my chosen screensaver is 'GLslideshow' and i can only choose which folder to display all other options don't stick while using xscreensaver.
is there any way to make xscreensaver default ?
“Your as addicted as I am”
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

This probably still works -

viewtopic.php?p=924021#p924021

Don't hold out on this being fixed - plugin support is removed entirely from Cinnamon 4's screensaver as it's a factor causing the Cinnamon screen-locker failing to lock on some hardware.

If you ever want to make the default Cinnamon screenlocker a bit more interesting I've got a random-photo slideshow script for it I first posted a while back - viewtopic.php?p=1507726#p1507726
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

Excellent! Thanks for the info :-)

Surely wouldn’t it be better to replace a program which isn’t working rather than remove parts of its key functionality
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

ultraviolet wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am Excellent! Thanks for the info :-)

Surely wouldn’t it be better to replace a program which isn’t working rather than remove parts of its key functionality
To be fair, support for the ancient and unsupported xscreensavers is hardly key functionality.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

JosephM wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 am
ultraviolet wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am Excellent! Thanks for the info :-)

To be fair, support for the ancient and unsupported xscreensavers is hardly key functionality.
So like I said above, why change to a more recent and supported screensaver
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

We did. It the current Cinnamon lock screen. Things like xscreensaver no longer exist as far as I know. They are no longer needed with modern monitors and most people don't want them. They serve no purpose other than using uneeded power. Many people use laptops nowadays and don't want something like this just killing their batteries.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

JosephM wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 pm
We did. It the current Cinnamon lock screen. Things like xscreensaver no longer exist as far as I know. They are no longer needed with modern monitors and most people don't want them. They serve no purpose other than using uneeded power. Many people use laptops nowadays and don't want something like this just killing their batteries.
Nice, strange it's not been taken out of the default Mint install and just leave the screenlocker in.
I'm not complaining as i love a good screensaver :-)
jsimmonstx

Post by jsimmonstx »

JosephM wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 pm
Xscreensaver is included in the mint 19 distro. It doesn’t appear to be fully implemented (or it’s an older version). I tried changing the ~/.xscreensaver file, (to match my other system running Ubuntu), and that had no effect.

IMHO, if it’s included in the distro, support for it shouldn’t be dismissed offhand, assuming everyone must have the same usage requirements. Can I uninstall the mint version, and install the free-range version without hurting anything?
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

I downloaded xscreensaver and I'm now using it, all runs perfectly. I followed the instructions in the link a few posts above and it's all great

Return to “Software & Applications”