Blocking 3rd party cookies in firefox 63 not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Blocking 3rd party cookies in firefox 63 not working

Post by dquinn618 »

Every time I restart my Firefox session then recheck preferences it has defaulted back to accepting third party cookies. Even though I had previously checked block them. Also, sites keep sending pop-ups that ask me to allow location even though I had asked Firefox to block pop-ups. It is apparently defaulting back to whatever Firefox wants no matter what preferences you check.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Blocking 3rd party cookies in firefox 63 not working

Post by xenopeek »

Does it do this when you close Firefox now and restart it immediately after? Or only when you reboot your system and then start Firefox?

If it does it now that would suggest possibly some extension you've added to Firefox is doing something bad, something is not right with permissions in your home directory (like running Firefox as root for some reason, which would block Firefox from saving changes to files when running as you) or possibly something in your Firefox profile is mixed up which prevents Firefox from saving this.

To rule out the first, close all Firefox windows (then wait 15 seconds or so as Firefox background processes also need to shut down) and then open the terminal and run the command:
firefox --safe-mode
Make the changes to the preferences you want, close Firefox again and again wait 15 seconds or so and then run the same firefox --safe-mode again. Check the preferences. Are they intact?

To rule out the second, close all Firefox windows and run this command to make sure permissions of Firefox in home directory are correct (run this command from the terminal, it will ask for your password but won't give you visual feedback as you type it):
sudo chown -R $(id -u):$(id -g) ~/.mozilla

If neither of these prove a solution I'd suggest creating a new user account in Users and Groups in your menu, logging out of your account and then log in to that new account. Open Firefox, change the preferences, close Firefox (wait 15 seconds) and start Firefox again to check the preferences. Did the preferences stick this time? Then we've confirmed something is wrong with the Firefox profile on your own account.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Apparently just by making those changes in safe mode saved them and fixed it.Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, that's weird :)

It may be worth looking at your list of extensions for any likely culprits (one that does things related to cookies or privacy, or one that is no longer maintained and may have partially broken with FF63).

If you want you can share the extensions here. You can take a screenshot of your installed add-ons or type about:support and copy the list under the Extensions heading and paste it here.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Second question: Pop-ups started showing up again. How do I shut them off? Used to be easy preference privacy selection. Now different. Google just has weird directions not applicable to Linux version.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As far as I know it's just in Preferences > Privacy & Security and then scroll down to the Permissions section. Tick the box to block pop-up windows.

While there you may also want to click on Settings button next to Location, Camera, Microphone and Notifications. At the bottom of their settings window you can tick the box to block new requests for each of those and you can remove any currently whitelisted websites. Especially Location and Notifications are annoying with websites pestering you about wanting to know your location and doing notifications.

I'm not sure if that is enough to block all notifications. Check that in about:config these two are set to false or change them to false:
dom.webnotifications.enabled
dom.push.enabled
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Had block poups xhexkeds but apparently now each item must be blocked to stop those annoying little buggers. Thanks.

Unable to paste scrtren shot of extensions but attached
Screenshot from 2018-11-19 10-27-35.png

Return to “Software & Applications”