Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot Complete A Full Aptik Backup In Mint Cinnamon

Post by zcot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:03 am

The syntax error is from the shell, so probably aptik is throwing a complex command at it and not properly escaping for single or double quotes that might be included in a path. I guess it should be doing something appropriate with any file names and paths all around but at some point in there, something is being missed.

If it doesn't happen when you backup to the same partition Desktop, then the bet is that the alternate partition is one with a ' in it... Grimm's Doc or something. Point it at one of the other partitions with a simple name as a test.

btw, do any of the icons in the list, or themes, have a naming scheme with single or double quotes in them?

just a guess but that might be an aptik or aptik-gtk specific bug to chase out. ;)

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm

i don't think the ' is the issue, i'd bet on that. as i said i had been using that path and all of a sudden that issue cropped up. if the ' was the issue i would think it would happen for all items i backup through aptik.

/home/CombinedPartitions/MrGrimm's Docs/Backups/Mint Backups/Aptik 01022019

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:50 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm
i don't think the ' is the issue,
zcot wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:03 am
do any of the icons in the list, or themes, have a naming scheme with single or double quotes in them?
You have to do something, or else just timeshift back? lol

just trying to help offer troubleshooting.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:31 am

zcot wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:50 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm
i don't think the ' is the issue,
zcot wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:03 am
do any of the icons in the list, or themes, have a naming scheme with single or double quotes in them?
You have to do something, or else just timeshift back? lol

just trying to help offer troubleshooting.
the rudeness was unnecessary since no one was rude to you. just because i don't agree with your thoughts on what the problem may be doesn't give you permissions to be rude.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:08 pm

not being rude man, or not trying to be anyway.. -just trying to help you move forward.

I went to the aptik gui and created selections that excluded everything entirely, except 1 singular icon selection(so it keeps the terminal output simple).

this is simple local directory test
http://i.imgur.com/ddCRf7V.png

Also I ran the commands from terminal to try to trick aptik from the single quote escaping problem but did not find any success in any way I had attempted.

This is dealing with a bug of aptik about handling "basepath" with a single quote, and in this case nothing should succeed for backup. -not just themes and icons.

As for it working before, but not now, but nothing has changed, I can't really think of anything that would strike me as a cause.

For moving forward, if the "basepath" is not a directory with a single quote, then it's not this exact issue as shown above, however maybe try to run it excluding themes and icons to make sure the definite cause is themes and icons(there is actually a default theme in Mint where it would seem to need to introduce a single quote character because there's a space in the name so the shell would want to encapsulate the whole name to catch the space). If you can pin it to that, then you know for sure the problem is in that side of directory/file name handling that includes spaces or quotes.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:47 pm

as stated above i DID run each group individually, NOT as a whole. as for being something in a file or folder name i don't see it, cause if i do the backups to a folder on the desktop it's fine. i'm sure backing up to my default location without including themes and icons will present no issues. later i think i'll create the same folder structure on the downloads partition and see if i have the same issue.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 pm

i created my folders on the download so instead of backing up atpik to:

/home/CombinedPartitios/MrGrimm's Docs/Backups/Mint Backups/Aptik 01042019

i backed up to:

/home/CombinedPartitions/Downloads/Backups/Aptik 01042019

and it went without a hitch, so i'm thinking it must be something with the partition formatting after all.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Great!

Good find.

So if you do a test as follows then it's closer to pinning it down to the very exact point:

instead of:
/home/CombinedPartitions/Downloads/Backups/Aptik 01042019
try this:
/home/CombinedPartitions/Downloads/Backups/zcot's test fails/Aptik 01042019

Now, that should succeed no problem since the partition formatting issue has been bypassed.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 pm

now why would i run run the same test again just using a slightly different folder structure. at this point it makes more sense for me run test on the rwo partitions and see what the differences are, if any. i'm betting there is though.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Ok. Or that. Anything will lead to somewhere so that's good. :)

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm

zcot wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:49 pm
Ok. Or that. Anything will lead to somewhere so that's good. :)
dude please stay out of the thread if you can't treat others like adults. talking down to peeps is not amusing, and adding a smiley doesn't change the rudeness.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:39 am

Ohhhkay. so, going further, for anybody else dealing with this:

Interestingly I discovered the same error does occur in other backup categories too when the single quote is in use, but it's not a fatal show stopper like in themes and icons.

For example, chron, and fonts(didn't test every single category but shouldn't matter as it was already noted it was only a problem in icons and themes) run into the same issue with the single quote, but the rest of the operation is able to succeed because it doesn't involve creating an archive by passing arguments and initially the path is escaped fine to use directly.

chron and fonts categories backups do spit out the exact same "unterminated quoted string" error, however they are able to succeed through the rest of the operation since it's just file copies as well.

But, the icons and themes categories complete the operation by attempting an archive function, and that's where the point of failure is when the command is passed over to the tar command and then it tries to print the result and we get the error message. This "basepath" and file variables are handed off to the tar function in an inline printf style operation and when basepath(which already includes a single quote) is encountered it gets inserted into a pre-formatted single quote encapsulation of the passed parameters, and so there's the bad combination.

Seen in this handling:
https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik/blo ... .vala#L675

So, for anybody else, at least at the step I'm looking at is, it's about either not using an apostrophe in path, or submitting a patch to allow for it. Not sure I can come up with something quickly but I think in time surely someone can add some cross-checking and adjustment as needed.

ps. MrGrimm, I only came here to help to try to solve a problem. I have nothing to gain from not acting like an adult or talking down to people or something. I'm only interested in the troubleshooting, but in the end also it's not entirely about you, or me, and so the info does help to further the goal, actually for more than both of us, and as far as I'm concerned we've both contributed to getting closer to the goal whether or not anybody does acknowledge it doesn't change the fact of it.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 am

from what you're saying "or submitting a patch to allow for it" sounds like it's the solution, but till there is a patch not to use ' at all where aptik is concerned. thing is this means it could be an issue in the recent mint 19.1 update or aptik released a update i was unaware of that broke something. i'm apt to believe it's on aptik's end since i have a sync program that is setup to mirror various folders in mint to various folders on the MrGrimm's Docs partition and it's never had an issue. for now a question. without having to move the data off the partition how do i ho about completely renaming the partition to say My Docs for now like i had it under 10?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm

o.k. new partition create, just ran a aptik backup and perfect.

Return to “Software & Applications”