Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot Complete A Full Aptik Backup In Mint Cinnamon

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 pm

zcot makes a good point. one of the this i noticed with the new fstab in place was a mention of duplicate entry in /ect/fstab. now that said should we be focusing only on the 5 lines scot mentioned? so before i try the last new fstab lets see if we are all on the same page. thanks

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:31 pm

JerryF wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:05 pm

He doesn't have any NTFS partitions---all are EXT4 but they're being mounted as NFTS in fstab.
Yea I caught that transition. probably the original cause of confusion? It looks like the system mounts the stuff fine(and successfully bails on any erroneous entry(ies), but if aptik is trying to use the old links or reading the fstab trying to find the stuff it's just all mixed up.

Good job chasing that around.. I looked at this thread a couple times and just halfway glanced at the fstab once it was posted and figured ahhh that's a scary mess of a headache. :o

MrGrimm, pretty sure JerryF has already spent the time to chase that out for you if you check his last fstab listing there. :wink:

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 pm

so good to go to test the last one posted then? fyi thank for jumping in.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:05 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 pm
Give it a try and let me know two things:
  1. If it boots properly
  2. If Aptik does a correct backup
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm

JerryF wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:05 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 pm
Give it a try and let me know two things:
  1. If it boots properly
  2. If Aptik does a correct backup

booted perfectly, even the 2 partitions on the one drive that i had to mount once on the desktop through gparted automounted this time. thanks for that.
aptik i think still isn't doing a proper backup. i let it get to 1.8 gigs and it still wasn't showing what % was done and it was slowly but steadily increasing in time remaining.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am

a question. if i do a reinstall like i suggested earlier in the thread all the drive will be listed correctly, and all information will be listed correctly under a fresh install, right? thanks

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am
a question. if i do a reinstall like i suggested earlier in the thread all the drive will be listed correctly, and all information will be listed correctly under a fresh install, right? thanks
They'll be listed, but Mint won't mount them as you have them now and be part of /home for the backup. For example, this is my 19 Cinnamon with other disks and partitions:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Last edited by JerryF on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm
booted perfectly, even the 2 partitions on the one drive that i had to mount once on the desktop through gparted automounted this time. thanks for that.
aptik i think still isn't doing a proper backup. i let it get to 1.8 gigs and it still wasn't showing what % was done and it was slowly but steadily increasing in time remaining.
Where did you specify the Backup location for Aptik?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:17 pm

yea i figured that that would be mounted /home/media again, and i would have to change the mount points. good thing is now that all the partitioning is done it should be pretty straight forward to open disk unmount, settings, turn off "user session default, check "mount at system startup", click ok, remount. should of said that in my last post.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 pm

JerryF wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am
MrGrimm wrote:
MrGrimm's Docs/Backups/Mint Backups/Aptik 11242018

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:10 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 pm
JerryF wrote:
Glad to hear that it booted properly.

So as of now, you're doing a reinstall?

The reason I asked my quoted question above is that I thought when Aptik did a Home backup that it would make a backup of its own backup file. It doesn't, which is a good thing.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:15 pm

MrGrimm wrote:

With all those partitions being mounted under /home/mc2635599, they're being backed up and I assume you've got a lot in those mounted partitions. Aptik is going to take quite a while.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:17 pm

JerryF wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:10 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
JerryF wrote:
Glad to hear that it booted properly.

So as of now, you're doing a reinstall?

The reason I asked my quoted question above is that I thought when Aptik did a Home backup that it would make a backup of its own backup file. It doesn't, which is a good thing.

no, no reinstall at this time. other than aptik all is running good.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm

JerryF wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:15 pm
MrGrimm wrote:

With all those partitions being mounted under /home/mc2635599, they're being backed up and I assume you've got a lot in those mounted partitions. Aptik is going to take quite a while.
that makes no sense, cause the only thing aptik should be doing is saving the mount points not the data. if what you said is the case then i'm better off ucchecking those mount points and recreating them after a reinstall, right?

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:33 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm
JerryF wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:15 pm
that makes no sense, cause the only thing aptik should be doing is saving the mount points not the data. if what you said is the case then i'm better off ucchecking those mount points and recreating them after a reinstall, right?
How are you performing the Aptik backup? Easy, Advanced, or Expert?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm

been using advanced so i can check the items you can't under easy, and then switching it back to easy so i can get to the backup all button.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm
been using advanced so i can check the items you can't under easy, and then switching it back to easy so i can get to the backup all button.
Ah, I think I see what's happening. Any settings that you do in Advanced will not stick if you switch to Easy. As an example:

Advanced Mode (I unchecked /home/jerry and /root):
Shutter_040.jpg
Then switched to Easy Mode (Home is checked---to be backed up):
Shutter_041.jpg
Then I ran the backup in Easy Mode. My home directory was being backed up.
Shutter_042.jpg

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:07 am

o.k long story short you can click backup while youhave it set to easy, vut it will not baclup everything. choosing advance going through and selecting everything under each category, then changing back to easy, clicking backup, backup all does work to backup everything. my previous backups prior to this problem were akk done that way. now that said it's home not mounts that is the issue. decided to backup each category one by one, and when i clicked back under home it sat there increasing in time and not giving a % done.

https://i.imgur.com/bqIzkqK.jpg

fould the following in anothjer thread.
AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:10 am
Aptik:

Linux Aptik backup & restore utility

it is now is Software Manager do not use this version, it won't update correctly.
the new way that TJ has works better, as he split it into two apps, not one.

Main:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik

the GUI

apt install aptik-gtk

The new version works different:
And Contrary to TeeJee's comments, it does NOT show up in Accessories, it shows up in the Administration menu.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:28 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:07 am
o.k long story short you can click backup while youhave it set to easy, vut it will not baclup everything. choosing advance going through and selecting everything under each category, then changing back to easy, clicking backup, backup all does work to backup everything. my previous backups prior to this problem were akk done that way. now that said it's home not mounts that is the issue. decided to backup each category one by one, and when i clicked back under home it sat there increasing in time and not giving a % done.

https://i.imgur.com/bqIzkqK.jpg
Thanks for that pic of Aptik. The ETA for the backup says it's going to take 1 day, 2 hours, 7 minutes, and 24 seconds. That's why you're not seeing the % advance.

Just as a reference:

I have two hard drives. One is a Samsung 860 SSD where Mint resides (/ and /home). The other is a Hitachi hard disk.
The Hitachi is just for backups.
My /home/jerry contents is 152 GB.

Right now, I'm backing up just my /home/jerry contents. Aptik's ETA is 1 hour and 40 minutes. The speed is averaging 20 MiB/sec. (a MiB is slightly larger than a MB). Mine is placing a backup to a separate disk which is usually faster than placing the backup on a disk that is also part of the backup.

How much does each of your mounted partitions contain (in GB)?
/home/mc2635599/Movies
/home/mc2635599/AAC's
/home/mc2635599/Movie Series
/home/mc2635599/Music Vids
/home/mc2635599/TV Specials
/home/mc2635599/XXX
/home/mc2635599/Downloads - Torrents
/home/mc2635599/MrGrimm's Docs
/home/mc2635599/TV Series

That may be the reason for the long ETA for you.

MrEen
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MrEen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am

MrGrimm wrote:
JerryF wrote:
MrGrimm wrote:
Apologies if I'm in error, but it looks to me like you're doing a backup of your home directory, to a location WITHIN your home directory. It's never going to finish, as it's backing up the backups backup...

I think you'll need to add MrGrimm's Docs/Backups/Mint Backups/ to the exclude list.

Return to “Software & Applications”