Before you post please read how to get help
JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cannot Complete A Full Aptik Backup In Mint Cinnamon

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm

o.k. sorry i missed not putting it under /home. please reread my previous post and let me know if i'm on the right track. also i saw somewhere if the fstab file is deleted it will be recreated on the next boot. if so after redoing the mounts would it be quicker and more accurate to just delete fstab and reboot? thanks
You can place Combined_Partitions under /home, but not under /home/mc2635599

DON'T delete the fstab file. Your system will not be able to boot!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm

JerryF wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm

o.k. sorry i missed not putting it under /home. please reread my previous post and let me know if i'm on the right track. also i saw somewhere if the fstab file is deleted it will be recreated on the next boot. if so after redoing the mounts would it be quicker and more accurate to just delete fstab and reboot? thanks
You can place Combined_Partitions under /home, but not under /home/mc2635599

DON'T delete the fstab file. Your system will not be able to boot!
ok on /home, how about what i asked about leaving the mounts under their original mount points which was in media and giving myself full access? that should give plex full access as well, right?. thanks for the info on fstab.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:30 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm
ok on /home, how about what i asked about leaving the mounts under their original mount points which was in media and giving myself full access? that should give plex full access as well, right?. thanks for the info on fstab.
Yes, leaving the mounts under their original mount points in media and giving yourself full access is fine.

What is plex?

May I ask: what was your intended purpose mounting those partitions from other disks as /home/mc2635599?
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm

because plex could read the parent folder / mount but not the content in them.

https://www.plex.tv/

https://forums.plex.tv/

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-and-fold ... 9/334653/2
Last edited by MrGrimm on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:07 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm
because plex couldn't read the parent folder / mount but not the content in them.

https://www.plex.tv/

https://forums.plex.tv/

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-and-fold ... 9/334653/2
Ah!

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm

ok finally found out from plex /media solely owned by gnome nautilus, and regardless of other set permissions it does not allow access by anyone or anything hence why the mounts have to be changed. i will try you last thing tomorrow. thanks

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm
ok finally found out from plex /media solely owned by gnome nautilus, and regardless of other set permissions it does not allow access by anyone or anything hence why the mounts have to be changed. i will try you last thing tomorrow. thanks
Folders such as /media aren't owned by a file manager, such as nautilus, they are assigned to a user and groups of the system, such as jerry, mc2635599, etc. and you can set certain permissions on those directories/file, which you already may know.

/media is owned by root, which is normal:

Code: Select all

stat -c '%a %A %U %G %n' /media
755 drwxr-xr-x root root /media
Subfolders under /media vary:

Code: Select all

stat -c '%a %A %U %G %n' /media/*
755 drwxr-xr-x jerry jerry /media/jerry
750 drwxr-x--- root root /media/root
So, you could change the ownership and permissions of any subfolder that plex may need to use.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 pm

then you might want to go into my thread at plex forums and ask him what he's referring to, cause i only went buy what he posted.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Well, that's off the beaten path of what this thread is about, so I'll pass.

I'm sure there's great information, but not my cup of tea, so to speak. :wink:

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm

JerryF wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 pm
Well, that's off the beaten path of what this thread is about, so I'll pass.

I'm sure there's great information, but not my cup of tea, so to speak. :wink:
ok regardless of what he posted it's owned by root, so that would explain why plex can see the folders and not the dat. sound like he simply posted the wrong info.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 pm

It gets back to what I posted that /media is owned by root and anything mounted under that, you can change the ownership and permissions.

Now for the $64,000 question: is everything running the way you want in Aptik?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:17 pm

JerryF wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 pm
It gets back to what I posted that /media is owned by root and anything mounted under that, you can change the ownership and permissions.

won't know till i change the mount points to what you posted and edit the fstab tomorrow.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am

JerryF wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 pm

GOOD MORNING wonderful day here. if you didn't guess by that that i just ran an aptik buckup test and it worked, i don't know. :D :D :D

yes created the folder / subfolders, changed the mount points, ran aptik, and looks like it worked perfectly. i didn't change the ftab file though. if you think i should still use the one you created just say so. i did however do CombinedPartitions not Combined_Partitions as you suggested. since i'm rarely going to see that folder so how it's named shouldn't matter to me. i also tested Muzak in plex and also perfect. thank you ever so much for all the time and effort you put into this, it is absolutely truly appreciated. i'll wait to mark this solved until you chime in, just in case you have anything to add that i might have missed. thanks again.

if you don't mind i'd like to use your info to update my post on how to get plex to see the data in the libraries one adds to it. thanks

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am
GOOD MORNING wonderful day here. if you didn't guess by that that i just ran an aptik buckup test and it worked, i don't know. :D :D :D

yes created the folder / subfolders, changed the mount points, ran aptik, and looks like it worked perfectly. i didn't change the ftab file though. if you think i should still use the one you created just say so. i did however do CombinedPartitions not Combined_Partitions as you suggested. since i'm rarely going to see that folder so how it's named shouldn't matter to me. i also tested Muzak in plex and also perfect. thank you ever so much for all the time and effort you put into this, it is absolutely truly appreciated. i'll wait to mark this solved until you chime in, just in case you have anything to add that i might have missed. thanks again.

if you don't mind i'd like to use your info to update my post on how to get plex to see the data in the libraries one adds to it. thanks
If everything is working the way you want, then that's great! I'd leave everything the way it is.

Sure, the info is for anyone to see and use.

Glad I was able to help.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:44 am

o.k. COOL. again thank you very, very much.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Re: (SOLVED) Cannot Complete A Full Aptik Backup In Mint Cinnamon

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

P.S. Just a side note that you have a misspelling in your signature:

It reads: Ruing Linux Mint Cinnamon 19

:D

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm

JerryF wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I've been quietly wondering whether that meant 'rueing' or 'ruining'... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm
JerryF wrote:

I've been quietly wondering whether that meant 'rueing' or 'ruining'... :wink:
Good one!

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 pm

JerryF wrote:
P.S. Just a side note that you have a misspelling in your signature:

thanks for catching that. need a new keybord badly. too many times it doesn't pick up what i i pressed.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 am

when i try to backup the icons and themes i get the below.

sh: 1: Syntax error Unterminated quoted string

open aptik
tick backup
tick expert
go down the list and backup each item. everything backs up perfectly except for icons and themes.

Expected behavior
not to get
sh: 1: Syntax error Unterminated quoted string
]
aptik 18.8

now if i create a folder on the desktop and use aptik the same way to backup to it i don't have this problem. syntex screams file system issue from past experience in windows, but i find that very unlikely since i have tones of files and programs on my backup partition and none of them are giving me a issue. i was using that location without issue and one day just started getting that issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”