Dropbox Indicator is no longer displayed <SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yerbestpal

Dropbox Indicator is no longer displayed <SOLVED>

Post by yerbestpal »

Hey guys,

I recently installed Dropbox and it had been running no issue for a few days, when suddenly I realised that the tray icon is not on display. Checking system monitor, it is clearly running. I have tried purging and reinstalling, both from the repositories and from the package on their website; neither worked. I have noticed that if I kill the application then run it again, there is slight movement in the system tray, as if it has expanded to accommodate some pixel width, though unfortunately I cannot find a way to configure the system tray.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raketti

Re: Dropbox Indicator is no longer displayed

Post by raketti »

This issue has been around for some time and in my opinion it's quite random. I've had it happen a few times on Mint 18.X. What I did to fix it was:
  • Open Dropbox settings and remove the "Autostart" option
  • Go to Startup Applications and add a new instance
  • Add the following command to launch Dropbox:

Code: Select all

dbus-launch dropbox start
  • Set a start-up delay of (for example) 3 seconds
This should bring the Dropbox icon back to the system tray. Some have reported that also running

apt install nautilus-dropbox
has worked, but that might not work with Nemo. And I think that running

apt install nemo-dropbox
will only install the file manager integration for Nemo and doesn't include Dropbox itself. For the record, I don't have either of the two packages installed, just Dropbox.

$ apt search dropbox
p   caja-dropbox                                             - Dropbox integration for Caja                                       
p   caja-dropbox:i386                                        - Dropbox integration for Caja                                       
i   dropbox                                                  - cloud synchronization engine - CLI and Nautilus extension 
p   dropbox:i386                                             - cloud synchronization engine - CLI and Nautilus extension          
p   golang-github-stacktic-dropbox-dev                       - Go client library for the Dropbox core and Datastore API           
p   libfile-dropbox-perl                                     - convenient and fast Dropbox API abstraction                        
p   libnet-dropbox-api-perl                                  - Perl module providing a dropbox API interface                      
p   nautilus-dropbox                                         - Dropbox integration for Nautilus                                   
p   nautilus-dropbox:i386                                    - Dropbox integration for Nautilus                                   
p   nemo-dropbox                                             - Dropbox integration for Nemo                                       
p   nemo-dropbox:i386                                        - Dropbox integration for Nemo                                       
p   python3-dropbox                                          - Official Dropbox API Client (Python3 version)                      
p   thunar-dropbox-plugin                                    - context-menu items from dropbox for Thunar                         
p   thunar-dropbox-plugin:i386                               - context-menu items from dropbox for Thunar
yerbestpal

Post by yerbestpal »

Unfortunately I cannot access the Dropbox settings.
raketti

Post by raketti »

Then you can try the following as a startup command:

killall dropbox && dbus-launch dropbox start
yerbestpal

Post by yerbestpal »

raketti wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:24 am Then you can try the following as a startup command:

killall dropbox && dbus-launch dropbox start

Simply using

dbus-launch dropbox start
as the startup command seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much for your help.
raketti

Post by raketti »

You might want to check that you don't have two dropbox daemons running now:

ps xa | grep dropbox
Shoud print something like:

1868 ?        Ssl    0:05 /home/<username>/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-62.4.103/dropbox
 3043 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep dropbox
And also, mark the topic as solved. :)
yerbestpal

Post by yerbestpal »

ps xa | grep dropbox
Shoud print something like:

1868 ?        Ssl    0:05 /home/<username>/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-62.4.103/dropbox
 3043 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep dropbox
And also, mark the topic as solved. :)
This is my output:

ross@dobby:~$ ps xa | grep dropbox
 1620 ?        Ssl    0:03 /home/ross/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-62.4.103/dropbox
 3365 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto dropbox
I could not actually find a 'mark as solved' item on the page. Could you point me towards it?
raketti

Post by raketti »

yerbestpal wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:29 am I could not actually find a 'mark as solved' item on the page. Could you point me towards it?
Well you're not wrong - there is no such option. What you need to do is edit your original post, and add [SOLVED] to the title. Described in the forum rules section:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314
[9] Indicate Solved Topics
  • When an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the topic. Please make sure the solution that worked for you is clearly indicated, especially if more than one solution has been proposed. If your solution came from outside the forum then describe it or post a link to it. Following these simple instructions will help other users find success solving similar problems.
yerbestpal

Post by yerbestpal »

Well you're not wrong - there is no such option. What you need to do is edit your original post, and add [SOLVED] to the title. Described in the forum rules section:
Thanks, I really should have taken the time to read over them. Does the output I posted suggest Dropbox has two running instances?
raketti

Post by raketti »

Does the output I posted suggest Dropbox has two running instances?
No, it's the grep command. All is well. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”