if i use firefox, how do i synchronize my bookmarks? are the solutions highly reliable?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

if i use firefox, how do i synchronize my bookmarks? are the solutions highly reliable?

Post by charroo »

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i'm on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: if i use firefox, how do i synchronize my bookmarks? are the solutions highly reliable?

Post by charroo »

thanks
what is the difference between sync and pocket?

and how can i open a tab of bookmarks in firefox line in chrome?

when i open chrome there is a tab of bookmarks that is pinned for easy access to tabs...
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: if i use firefox, how do i synchronize my bookmarks? are the solutions highly reliable?

Post by charroo »

also

i've found firefox's tabs bigger than chrome's
this is means that i can't click on every tab i want.

is there a solution for that?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

charroo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 pm what is the difference between sync and pocket?
Pocket, while now integrated in Firefox, is an essentially third-party add on intended to save for later and.or offline viewing articles you encounter; Pocket clients can include devices that won't run Firefox such as e-readers. That is, while both can be considered to be inter-device bookmarking solutions, Pocket doesn't in fact bookmark (it saves the actual article) and their intended use is quite different.
charroo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 pm and how can i open a tab of bookmarks in firefox line in chrome?
"Like in Chrome" is probably subjective (i.e., I don't use Chrome so wouldn't know what it does exactly) but under Edit -> Preferences -> Home you can configure the contents of the "Firefox Home" page that you can set as your home page from there also; bookmarks are among the available items. The Bookmarks menu and/or bookmarks toolbar are probably used more by Firefox users; to have either/both always visible, Hamburger menu -> Customize -> Toolbars (at the bottom of the page) -> Menu and/or Bookmarks toolbar.
charroo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 pm i've found firefox's tabs bigger than chrome's
Now you're pushing it...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

charroo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:05 pm also

i've found firefox's tabs bigger than chrome's

No solution is needed, Firefox automatically sizes the tabs smaller as you add more tabs.
I have never, ever, ran out of space to add tabs... they just get too small for me to read them.

I also use the "Top Sites" feature so that if I open a new Tab, I get a list of the most common websites that I use..... 2 rows takes care of 95% of where I go, a 3rd row is used for optional sub-website locations. I find that easier than trying to use Bookmarks.... but, FF has a very unique bookmark system, it is totally accessible via the kybd only..... Alt-B-N key sequence brings up "New Posts" on this forum. I repeat the 'N' to get 'new posts' on my other 4 major forums of interest.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by charroo »

thanks
perhaps we are not talking about the same thing because my tabs need scrolling if they are many.

let me add a screenshot
in the screenshot you can see that there are arrows on the sides
Selection_050.png
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

charroo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:50 am thanks
perhaps we are not talking about the same thing because my tabs need scrolling if they are many.

let me add a screenshot
in the screenshot you can see that there are arrows on the sidesSelection_050.png
yeah,
we are talking about the same thing, but you are using more tabs than I do most of the time..
about 6 or 7 usually do me good.

what you want is Fixed Width tabs, that you can scroll thru, and still read the names.

I don't have a solution for that.
Control-Tab will scroll them until you find the one you want.

OR, you could set Preferences to open multiple Windows, but would think that would be a PITA also.

Maybe an extension is what you need, give this a whirl.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... in-window/
Aggregate Tabs to Main Windowby Piro (piro_or)

or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-tabs-we/
Tile Tabs WEby DW-dev
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by charroo »

thank you very much!

i'm not sure the extensions will work

if i do install an extension will removing it erase any traces?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

charroo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:26 am thank you very much!

i'm not sure the extensions will work

if i do install an extension will removing it erase any traces?
yes,
once you click 'remove', all traces of it are gone.

so feel free to experiment
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

charroo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:50 amperhaps we are not talking about the same thing because my tabs need scrolling if they are many.
They would in any web browser (or anything else that uses tabs in this way). Otherwise, you'd eventually reach a point where it was impossible (or at least nearly so) to target a specific one with your mouse cursor :roll: .

Currently, I have... (checking...) 195 tabs open in Firefox. If the application tried to display representations of them without the scrolling, they'd just be tiny little specks!

Is Chrome any different in this regard? If so, it must really limit the maximum number of tabs you can have open at any one time if you wish to be able to manipulate things with your mouse instead of using keyboard shortcuts (CTRL PgUp / CTRL PgDn).

BtW, to add the bookmarks toolbar or otherwise customize the "top" (above the content, but below the application's title) of Firefox, right-click on any open space above the content area. The context menu that appears will have an option to show/hide the bookmarks toolbar, the menu "bar" (File, Edit, View, et cetera), and a general Customize one.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”