how common these days is a firefox browser that slows the system and causing problems like this?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

how common these days is a firefox browser that slows the system and causing problems like this?

Post by charroo »

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i'm on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: how common these days is a firefox browser that slows the system and causing problems like this?

Post by Flemur »

8ball.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kukamuumuka

Re: how common these days is a firefox browser that slows the system and causing problems like this?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Flemur wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:16 am8ball.jpg
I think that the problem is more complicated. :?
crystal-ball.jpg
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

The browser? Not very. But some of the scripts that people allow their browser to run on their computer... probably not surprising. Install/run a script-blocker and see if the problem goes away (and your security improves exponentially).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Script Blocker made my FF slower :mrgreen:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm confused . . . the way he worded the question it sounds like he's saying Firefox is slowing down the whole computer, not just the browser.

But if he is simply saying the browser is running slow, my first suggestion would be to try a new profile (while backing up the old one).
redlined

Post by redlined »

charroo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:40 amthanks
hi charroo!

You offered very little information to help with this issue. I've a hunch you've got some sort of script running in firefox that is slowing system down, perhaps crypto-miner or the massive amount of third parties that also get connected nearly everywhere you surf. Firefox is working on reducing our need for third party addons by developing a more protective stance, as mentioned here: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... -tracking/ NoScript will help, but as you say it is a trade-off, basically you trade security and privacy for convenience (and possibly get browser infected with rogue scripts)

Firefox may also have conflicting good scripts, sometimes two or more addons share the same function and as they wrestle each other system available memory takes a dive, very quickly. This is very noticable with ad-blocker and similar types, If you'd like to share a list of addons you use/have enabled then we may be able to see some area of concern over conflict.

You can also try a Firefox "Refresh" to see if that helps.

Or just make a new profile to test with. open terminal, paste and enter this command firefox -P which will bring up a small dialog box with your current profile named and options to rename, delete and create profiles. I'd rename main profile first to something easy to remember, then click create profile to make a new empty profile. Make sure you have both boxes unchecked (always use this profile and work offline options). Then select that new profile to open and see if things are better. If so something in your main profile is corrupt, infected or otherwise run amuck... At least we'll have something to troubleshoot from.

Also to help troubleshoot some basic system info may help those who are not mind-readers (as seen in other replies this thread :wink: )
enter these commands into terminal, hit enter then copy and paste back the results into code box by clicking the </> icon above.
inxi -Fxz
firefox -v

edit to fix: my confusion! :roll: :lol: OP was who that was meant for, not Pepi as I misquoted :oops:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Thanks for the ideas to try Redlined. I've switched to WaterFox awhile back but it even is starting to act weird? My main problem with both FF and WF is the delay I get when typing. I will be typing away and look and nothing is there then all of a sudden it all fills in :?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have seen two instances in which my computer slows down. The browser-related one is when I'm on a site that has a lot of scripts. Here, the worst offender by far is Facebook. The other one is sometimes the computer will slow down while installing updates or new programs, usually only momentarily.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

charroo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:40 amthanks
Define 'this'.

I once saw a gentleman ask the question "what is the meaning of is and got away with making a joke of our system of government.

you have not defined anything yet.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”