mp3splt to split .ogg file on silence

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

mp3splt to split .ogg file on silence

Post by colinmcc »

I have several .ogg files, each are spoken word readings of Hawaiian books, read in the Hawaiian language, one book per .ogg file.

Between each book chapter there is a long silence, and I am trying to extract the chapters based on the silence into separate files.

I have installed mp3splt on my Linux Mint system, and assuming for example I am trying to split a file called holo.ogg I enter my terminal, move into the folder containing holo.ogg and run: mp3splt -s -p th=-40 holo.ogg which should I thought split the holo.ogg file into a number of files split on the silence.

But when run I get:

........@Mintbox2 ~/Audio $ mp3splt -s -p th=-40 holo.ogg
mp3splt 2.4.2 (13/05/12) - using libmp3splt 0.7.2
Processing file 'holo.ogg' ...
error: no plugin matches the file 'holo.ogg'

(I also tried surrounding holo.ogg with "" same result.)

Can anyone please advise me what plugin is needed, I thought that mp3splt handled .ogg files?

And if I haven't the command right can you also advise me as to how it should read?

Mahalo nui loa (Thank you very much in Hawaiian).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mp3splt to split .ogg file on silence

Post by Flemur »

colinmcc wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm Processing file 'holo.ogg' ...
error: no plugin matches the file 'holo.ogg'
I think that means it's not finding the codec.
Can you play the .ogg files with other software?
Is libvorbis0a installed? Mint-meta-codecs?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi colinmcc,

In this post below are instructions for installing "mp3splt" and its "mp3splt-gtk" desktop GUI and its audio codecs along with other apps (page#2)... I just used an .ogg file with mp3splt-gtk and it works.

*** Highly recommend that you check out "Flacon"
Flacon - Audio File Encoder
https://flacon.github.io/

Some programs I need CueTools, Filebot, Plex, makemkv <Solved> - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=233794&hilit=mp3splt

*** Highly recommend that you check out "Flacon"
Flacon - Audio File Encoder
https://flacon.github.io/

If need be, you can convert music files from one audio format like .ogg to other formats like .mp3, .flac, etc... first using "soundKonverter, soundconverter, etc...)

Hope this helps ...
mp2splt-gtk1.jpg
mp2splt-gtk2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'd use audacity, you'd have to do it manually on each file but it will work.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colinmcc »

HI, thanks for the replies.

I can play the .ogg files in banshee and 'view' them in audacity, and have both Mint-meta-codecs and libvorbis0a installed and updated to the latest versions. So I believe I have all I need to read .ogg format files.

As far as using Audacity to split the files into chapter files, there are a LOT of them, they were children's teach yourself Hawaiian books recorded on cassette in the 1990s, (I played the cassettes into my pc and created the ,ogg files using Music Recorder) and had snippets of music between each chapter, most of the chapters are only a page long. So there are literally many dozens of splits per book. I'm hoping to at least part automate the process.

*** Highly recommend that you check out "Flacon" Looking at the link I see "Supported input formats: WAV, FLAC, APE, WavPack, True Audio (TTA)." Unfortunately doesn't work with OGG??

And "Flacon extracts individual tracks from one big audio file containing the entire album of music and saves them as separate audio files. To do this, it uses information from the appropriate CUE file."
I'm not sure what a CUE file is, (must go and read up on it) but I don't think my recordings made such a thing.

The man page for mp3splt says " utility for mp3/ogg vorbis splitting without decoding"

So I'm still confused as to what the "error: no plugin matches the file 'holo.ogg'" message is wanting.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi colinmcc,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

If you look at the link to another post that I provided there are instructions on page 2 for installing mp3splt with the audio codecs which would allow you to split ".ogg" files automatically by silence even in batches or to easily manually select split points. If you are using Linux Mint 18.x or 19.x use the Linux Mint 18.x instructions. From your comments, the mp3splt-gtk would be one of the best options to perform the tasks you want to be done with these audio files.

If you provide a download link to one of the audio files, we can test it, and show you how to do it. If you gave us the exact name of one or more of the audiobooks and perhaps the audiobook date that would help.
colinmcc wrote:The man page for mp3splt says " utility for mp3/ogg vorbis splitting without decoding" So I'm still confused as to what the "error: no plugin matches the file 'holo.ogg'" message is wanting.
I am not sure what the "holo.ogg" message means except that you do not have the ".ogg" audio codec installed for mp3splt and the audio file is called "holo.ogg".

As for the superb Flacon application and the "cue" file. Most popular music and audio recordings have been added to worldwide databases by song and by entire albums. You can get the various type of "cue" files from these websites or in the case of uncommon recordings, people can create them and upload them to the databases so that others may benefit from them.

Cue sheet (computing) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_(computing)

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colinmcc »

From a post by one of the authors, way back in 2009
> > Alexandru Munteanu wrote:
> > >
> > > Some versions had some problems with RPM packaging and plugin detection.
> > > You can try installing the libmp3splt-devel package which I believe it
> > > will fix the issue.
> > >
> >
>
> Otherwise, there is something wrong in the packaging scheme.

As far as I know, the '-devel' package is not necessary when using version
0.5.7a, but only older versions. Libmp3splt looks for 'libsplt_ogg.so.0' and
'libsplt_mp3.so.0' for plugins and 'libmp3splt-0.5.7a...rpm' provides those files.
'libsplt_mp3.so.0' and 'libsplt_ogg.so.0' can be found in '/usr/lib/libmp3splt/'.
I only installed mp3splt last week, so perhaps the version installed is an old one?
Last edited by colinmcc on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colinmcc »

Libmp3splt looks for 'libsplt_ogg.so.0' and
'libsplt_mp3.so.0' for plugins and 'libmp3splt-0.5.7a...rpm' provides those files.
'libsplt_mp3.so.0' and 'libsplt_ogg.so.0' can be found in '/usr/lib/libmp3splt/'.
Ok, I just looked in /usr/lib/libmp3splt and found:

colin@Mintbox2 ~ $ cd /usr/lib/libmp3splt/
colin@Mintbox2 /usr/lib/libmp3splt $ ls
libsplt_mp3.so.0 libsplt_mp3.so.0.0.0

But no 'libsplt_ogg.so.0' So perhaps the installer failed to install it to give .ogg support?

Does anyone have that file on their system, and if so can they tell me where to grab it from since it doesn't seem to be in the current installer package/

Thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi colinmcc,

I used a PPA for installing mp3splt for their most current versions and the screenshots I provided are from Linux based on Ubuntu 18.04 like Linux Mint 19.x. Linux Mint 18.x users can just simply install the PPA per the instructions in that link.

Linux Mint 19.x users may have to download the 64-bit or 32-bit deb files from the link below (save and double-click them) and install those one time to use this which is well worth it for these type of audio projects. I cannot remember if you need to install the codecs first or not before the mp3splt apps because I did this a while ago.

Download links to mp3splt related Packages in “Xenial PPA for Dominik Stadler”
https://launchpad.net/~dominik-stadler/ ... /+packages

Hope this helps ...
mp3splt_deb_files.jpg
mp3splt_deb_files_libmp3splt1.jpg
mp3splt_deb_files_2.jpg
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colinmcc »

Output from:
mp3splt -D
mp3splt 2.4.2 (13/05/12) - using libmp3splt 0.7.2
Matteo Trotta <mtrotta AT users.sourceforge.net>
Alexandru Munteanu <io_fx AT yahoo.fr>
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Searching for plugins ...
Scanning plugins in the directory _/usr/lib/libmp3splt_
Looking at the file _libsplt_mp3.so.0.0.0_

Looking at the file _libsplt_mp3.so.0_

Scanning plugins in the directory _/home/colin/.libmp3splt_
Scanning plugins in the directory _./_

Trying to open the plugin _/usr/lib/libmp3splt/libsplt_mp3.so.0_ ...
- success !

Number of plugins found: _1_
plugin filename = _/usr/lib/libmp3splt/libsplt_mp3.so.0_
plugin name = _mp3 (libmad)_
plugin version = _1.000000_
extension = _.mp3_
I don't have time to convert a book to mp3 now, but will try later to convert an .ogg to .mp3 and see if mp3splt then works. If yes then .ogg support is not in the mint package for some reason.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi colinmcc,

If you read and follow the simple instructions from my last reply, you can download and install mp3splt and its related packages in about 5 minutes or less which includes support for ogg audio files without having to convert them first.

Update: I just ripped a music CD into one large whole album ".ogg" file and used mp3splt-gtk to split it into separate audio tracks using the batch-auto "silence detection" defaults and it worked perfectly in seconds. * If there is a cue or cddb file available for the audio file then it can split the file exactly, but if you have or can find a cue or cddb file then use Flacon.

Hope this helps ...
mp3splt -D
mp3splt 2.6.2 (09/11/14) - using libmp3splt 0.9.2
Matteo Trotta <mtrotta AT users.sourceforge.net>
Alexandru Munteanu <m AT ioalex.net>
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Searching for plugins ...
Scanning plugins in the directory _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0_
Looking at the file _libsplt_flac.so.0.0.0_

Looking at the file _libsplt_ogg.so.0_

Looking at the file _libsplt_ogg.so.0.0.0_

Looking at the file _libsplt_mp3.so.0_

Looking at the file _libsplt_flac.so.0_

Looking at the file _libsplt_mp3.so.0.0.0_

Checking if _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_mp3.so.0_ is like _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_ogg.so.0_
Checking if _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_flac.so.0_ is like _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_ogg.so.0_
Checking if _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_flac.so.0_ is like _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_mp3.so.0_
Scanning plugins in the directory _/home/user69/.libmp3splt_
Scanning plugins in the directory _./_

Trying to open the plugin _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_ogg.so.0_ ...
- success !

Trying to open the plugin _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_mp3.so.0_ ...
- success !

Trying to open the plugin _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_flac.so.0_ ...
- success !

Number of plugins found: _3_
plugin filename = _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_ogg.so.0_
plugin name = _ogg vorbis (libvorbis)_
extension = _.ogg_

plugin filename = _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_mp3.so.0_
plugin name = _mp3 (libmad)_
extension = _.mp3_

plugin filename = _/usr/lib/libmp3splt0/libsplt_flac.so.0_
plugin name = _flac (libflac)_
extension = _.flac_

Setting silence log fname to _mp3splt.log_
error: not enough splitpoints (<2)
mp3splt_batch-auto_Split-By-Silence1.jpg
mp3splt_batch-auto_Split-By-Silence2_copy.jpg
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] mp3splt to split .ogg file on silence

Post by colinmcc »

Yes, both the command line version and the _GTK installs currently available do not install libsplt_ogg.so.0. Thus no .ogg support.

With that added (and changing th=-50 to th=-10 found by trial and error) holo.ogg was split into 44 files.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Aloha,
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] mp3splt to split .ogg file on silence

Post by phd21 »

Hi colinmcc,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

If you want a mp3splt version that does support ogg files and has a desktop application (mp3splt-gtk), then use the instructions I have already given.
colinmcc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colinmcc »

Is it possible to tell the package maintainer (if that is the right title?) that they are missing some components?

Return to “Software & Applications”