Scala microtuning software on Mint 19

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
halfshavedyaks
Level 1
Level 1

Scala microtuning software on Mint 19

Post by halfshavedyaks »

I want to use Scala the microtuning software (not to be confused with the programming language)

http://huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Instructions and dependencies are mentioned on the website and in the Install instructions included in the download.

Is anyone here running it successfully on MInt 19?

The main problem seems to be that Scala requires libgnat 4.9 and the
lowest version available in the Mint/Ubuntu repo is 5.5.0 (versions up to 8 are also
available)

I can't find libgnarl in the repo at all. I installed the scala provided
libgtkada.so.2.24.4 - I notice that the one available in the repo is
libgtkada16.1.0

I have installed libgnat 5.5 but I still get this:

ldd scala | grep "not found"
libgnarl-4.9.so.1 => not found
libgnat-4.9.so.1 => not found
libgnat-4.9.so.1 => not found
Last edited by SMG on Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking 2yr old topic.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Scala microtuning software on Mint 19

Post by rene »

libgnat/gnarl 4 is no longer available for Ubuntu 18.04/Mint 19: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suit ... chon=names. It still is for Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 and the same is true for libgtkada-2.24.4 so you could get things going there.

It is usually worth a try to just symlink library names even across major versions but note that I tried on 19 and it doesn't work. The best way would be to (try to) recompile scala against the newer library versions available for 19 but as far as I can see this thing is not actually open source: http://huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html. That means that if you insist on Mint 19 you'd want to contact the developer; his email is mentioned on that linked page
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Actually, looking at my own reply... you can just grab the xenial versions. I checked and there's no conflicts. That is, grab and install in that order:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd6 ... e/download
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd6 ... 9/download

If you click any of the download links they will open in the GDebi package installer. Scala is working fine here, running it directly from the unpacked tar.bz2 as

Code: Select all

rene@t5500:~/scala-22-pc64-linux$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".;$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ./scala
you can also do the INSTALL file stuff.

Contacting the author is still preferred...
halfshavedyaks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by halfshavedyaks »

Thanks a lot! that all makes sense in general though i'm stuck on some details.

I had thought of downloading the old versions but didn't know how or what conflicts it might create.

I have contacted the author but no reply yet.

I have now downloaded the old 4.9 gnat versions.

I am curious about running directly from the unpacked folder - I don't understand the terminal command you gave other than the general idea that maybe it is defining the library path (to be in the scala folder?).

would I still have to install gnat 4.9 systemwide or can those libraries also be added to the scala folder? How would I do that?

I'm a big fan of apps keeping their dependencies to themselves. I use appimages wherever possible and saves loads of problems

when I run this: (changed to reflect the location of my scala folder)

thet@yaks:~$ ~/Downloads/scala-22-pc64-linux$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".;$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ./scala
i get:

bash: /home/thet/Downloads/scala-22-pc64-linux$: No such file or directory
am I confused about paths here?

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

halfshavedyaks wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 am I am curious about running directly from the unpacked folder [ ... ]. Would I still have to install gnat 4.9 systemwide or can those libraries also be added to the scala folder?
I can not from what you posted determine what's not working for you, unless you did not in fact yet install through GDebi (or dpkg directly) the gnat-4.9-base and libgnat-4.9 .deb packages you say you downloaded; all's working fine here. You shouldn't worry about installing gnat-4.9 system-wide; their installed files are 4.9-specific and won't disturb anything:

rene@hp8k:~$ sudo dpkg -i Downloads/*gnat*.deb 
[sudo] password for rene: 
Selecting previously unselected package gnat-4.9-base:amd64.
(Reading database ... 319438 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gnat-4.9-base_4.9.3-3ubuntu5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gnat-4.9-base:amd64 (4.9.3-3ubuntu5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgnat-4.9:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libgnat-4.9_4.9.3-3ubuntu5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgnat-4.9:amd64 (4.9.3-3ubuntu5) ...
Setting up gnat-4.9-base:amd64 (4.9.3-3ubuntu5) ...
Setting up libgnat-4.9:amd64 (4.9.3-3ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...

rene@hp8k:~$ dpkg -L gnat-4.9-base libgnat-4.9 
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base/README.maintainers.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base/copyright
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base/README.gnat
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/gnat-4.9-base/TODO.Debian
/usr/share/doc/gcc-4.9-base
/usr/share/doc/gcc-4.9-base/Ada

/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnat-4.9.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnarl-4.9.so.1
/usr/share
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libgnat-4.9
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libgnat-4.9
Removing them again is a simple matter of sudo dpkg -r gnat-4.9-base libgnat-4.9. But that said, yes, you can unpack libgnat directly into the scala directory as well. Starting from a virgin Mint 19 system:

rene@hp8k:~$ tar xjf ~/Downloads/scala-22-pc64-linux.tar.bz2 
rene@hp8k:~$ dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile ~/Downloads/libgnat-4.9_4.9.3-3ubuntu5_amd64.deb | tar -xC scala-22-pc64-linux --strip 4 --wildcards "*.so.1"
rene@hp8k:~$ cd scala-22-pc64-linux/
rene@hp8k:~/scala-22-pc64-linux$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".;$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ./scala
... and up pops scala. Yes, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH path override prepends the current directory ("."); has hence the dynamic linker search the current directory for shared libraries before and in addition to the system library directories. That somewhat involved dpkg-deb command is nothing other than unpacking the libgnat-4.9 libraries directly from the .deb into the scala directory.

If something still doesn't work for you, that doesn't make much sense; all's fine here (but note that you will if you want to rather run scala from say the menus need to change both instances of "." in the command to explicit "/home/thet/scala-22-pc64-linux" or wherever you finally decide to put scala; the "current directory" is after all only the scala directory if, well, it is; you'd also want to prepend env to the command).

scala.png
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi halfshavedyaks,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Last night, I downloaded their current version in an archive file to try this, extracted it, but it would not run and does require the older "gnat-4.9" which Rene thoughtfully provided download links to. Obviously, the developers have not updated this to use the newer Linux versions and newer supporting packages yet. You can usually double-click Linux deb files to install them; install in the order that Rene suggested.

After installing the "gnat-4.9" packages and the recommended packages below from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", it comes right up and runs fine using:

./scala

Scala Downloads
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html

aconnectgui (recommended)
gnuplot (if not installed yet, dependency only if graphic plots are made)
* libgnat-4.6 or higher - use Rene links in Linux Mint 19.x
playmidi (recommended)
timidity (recommended)

While researching this, I also noticed there are other applications that can use the "scala" files.
bristol - a synthesiser emulation package. in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" search for bristol and monobristol
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xen ... tol.1.html
-scala <file>
The engine will read the given scala file and map it into its frequency tables.
Hope this helps ...
scala1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
halfshavedyaks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by halfshavedyaks »

I can not from what you posted determine what's not working for you, unless you did not in fact yet install through GDebi (or dpkg directly) the gnat-4.9-base and libgnat-4.9 .deb packages you say you downloaded; all's working fine here. You shouldn't worry about installing gnat-4.9 system-wide; their installed files are 4.9-specific and won't disturb anything:
I was just unclear about what you were recommending about where to install gnat, and I didn't understand why I was getting a "No such file or directory error" - but it went away after installing the libraries.

I installed gnat with gdebi and Scala now runs. Thanks for your help! It was as simple as getting the old libraries and installing them but I didn't know how to do that.

Scala doesn't actually seem to work correctly or show up in alsa midi or anything but that's another issue entirely that i will research separately.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I looked at their dl page and was sursprised to see this reight before the actual Linux link:

"Scala 2.42v for 32-bit Linux on ARMv7 (armhf)"

That's ARM architecture, which is not supported by Mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The first download section on the page is "PC/Intel" and lists the Windows and Linux/x86 versions.
eyeprotocol

Post by eyeprotocol »

Hello all. I am using this thread to report that the steps for running Scala Tuning Software on Mint 20 are still valid as reported here. Unfortunately, despite the application is running, there seems to be no audio from it, when playing a scale. If anyone has faced this situation (on Mint 19, or 20) perhaps may provide some help or insight.

Return to “Software & Applications”