APTIK command line only

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lefticy

APTIK command line only

Post by lefticy »

i am running 17.2 and i am trying to migrate to a fresh install of 19 . many failed attempts to install the GUI of aptik specific to 17 have occurred ( yes i read all the doc's from the developer) so i have resorted to the command line/shell interface.. i was able to get a back up.. but i am unable to locate the file/ folder of were the back was save to. the other issue i have ( since i am very weak in the command line vocabulary) is changing the basepath command. i want to direct the --BACKUP -ALL command to save the files to an external HDD or to a partitions on the current system .

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: APTIK command line only

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Install Aptik

sudo apt-get install aptik aptik-gtk

aptik-gtk is the user interface (GUI)

After installation, go to Menu/Adminstration/Aptik GTK

The backup is in /home/username/
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
lefticy

Post by lefticy »

thanks for the help... my problem is the the GTK GUI will not work in certain environments running 17.. and all the other packages and patches and add on's did nothing and its not the developers fault .
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

lefticy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:04 pm thanks for the help... my problem is the the GTK GUI will not work in certain environments running 17.. and all the other packages and patches and add on's did nothing and its not the developers fault .
This is an informative report.
Thank you for posting
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

search for a folder named aptik

then copy that folder and contents to your extHDD

here is a pix of what you will find somewhere on your HDD,
most likely in /

BackupFolders.png

ignore the fact that my Aptik folders have dates with them, yours will not.

I created those folders in advance, and then steered Aptik to them with the .gtk gui menu.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lefticy

Post by lefticy »

boy this is frustrating... if the GUI worked i could find the saved file.. my knowledge of using the command line is limited and every search returns nothing. i have run the --backup all command and it worked perfectly.. but i can not locate the file name nor its location because i cant determine where it was save to .. and i dont know how to change the basepath in the terminal.
philotux

Post by philotux »

lefticy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:51 pm ... and i dont know how to change the basepath in the terminal.
Looking ataptik --helpreveals that--basepath with no<dir>specified will default to current directory. So if you create a folder named Aptik, I believe the command should look like:

Code: Select all

sudo aptik  --backup-all --basepath /path/to/Aptik
where /path/to/Aptik is the actual path to the folder Aptik. Mine is for example /media/philotux/Storage/Aptik on another partition of my disk.
lefticy

Post by lefticy »

philotux ... thanks .. will try that .. i do have other partitions on the disk... thanks again
philotux

Post by philotux »

You are welcome! Hope it will work out for you!

Cheers
philotux

Return to “Software & Applications”