Migrating from 17.1 to 19

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Migrating from 17.1 to 19

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

I'm migrating from 17.1 to 19. Folks here have suggested Aptik, but it can't be downloaded. So, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrbau
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Migrating form 17.1 to 19

Post by keithrbau »

Reading through this post, it sounds plain sailing if you are comfortable with terminal:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/17823/h ... d-packages, including one package I install manually from a downloaded .deb

Alternatively, update manager|view|history lists all updates on your system, showing ONLY current version from what I can see, including that manually installed .deb Trouble is I can't see how to export the list. The only search result I can find leads to an item that seems to have been removed from our Forum: viewtopic.php?t=251838
Keith Bainbridge from Oz

Mint user for several years. Incourageable player (breaker?)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

WHVW wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm Hi All:

I'm migrating from 17.1 to 19. Folks here have suggested Aptik, but it can't be downloaded. So, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks.
my 2 cents--upgrading is usually easy within a release (ie 17>17.3>)
Most here will recommend a fresh install as opposed to upgrading (especially to a new series).
Migration is good--fresh is better.
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You can update from 17.x to 19, but you have to do it in stages. Karlchen did it recently and documented it here:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=277741

As has previously been mentioned, many of the more experienced people here will tell you it's best to do a fresh install.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
keithrbau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithrbau »

I interpreted your question as planning to do a fresh install - else why would you want aptik?

If I got you wrong, I agree. A fresh install will save you a lot of time & effort. You could put the new mint on a separate partition, install all your extra software, and then copy over your data over.
Keith Bainbridge from Oz

Mint user for several years. Incourageable player (breaker?)
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Hi:

I'm sorry, I messed up a little here.
What I want to do is transport my settings, (such as colours, date format, number of desktops, etc.) Play On Linux software and other software, over to the new system, not try to upgrade. I know the manual method for the Play On Linux stuff, but I figured that there might be some sort of "backup then restore" option that would transfer all the materials I selected to a USB stick which I could then "restore" to the new install.
Is there any to accomplish other than the manual method?

Thanks.
redlined

Post by redlined »

WHVW wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm Hi All:

Thanks.
hi WHVW!

I'm one who appreciates Aptik (and aptik-gtk), Tony George has a few cool tools, well used by community (Timeshift being another of his works:)

Do you have the teejee2008 PPA setup or are you attempting a manual instal from .deb or somesuch? I trust his work, hence his PPA. If you have it included in software sources it will be managed by SPM/apt and you'll get updates with other repo updates in update manager.

to add his PPA:
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa && apt update && apt install aptik aptik-gtk

will install Aptik and Aptik-gtk (the latter being a very nice GUI!)

If manual install is preferred then please consider using download direct from his github offerings, consider it as only manual install location worthy of trust as other download locations may include any sort of mischiefs and other malicious intents.
https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik/releases

edit to add: if you really want to get blown away by too much info, then apt list --installed could be a 'checklist' to ensure you got everything covered before the fresh install into LM19 :mrgreen:
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

redlined:

Hi:

Well, I used your command line sequence, and I got the same result: (last few lines)

Code: Select all

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package aptik-gtk
I got the can't download the programme wanna transfer the files blues.
I am puzzled by that "E:" in that last line, it looks like an old DOS thing.
philotux

Post by philotux »

You could try to install an earlier version of Aptik with the old GUI (included). It can be downloaded from: https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik-legacy/releases.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi WHVW!

I suspect the E: simply means error, but this is very strange that aptik-gtk is not found for install- I ran that command before posting it and all went well here, aptik and aptik-gtk both installed.

try this sudo apt update then sudo apt install aptik-gtk

now apt search aptik should give you results similar to mine.

Note: if marked "p" I think that means package available for install, the important part is if marked "i" that means installed and if you're still not seeing the gtk gui show up in menu then something is wrong and we'll get it fixed quick)

anyuser@f023:~$ apt search aptik
i   aptik                           - Aptik system migration utility            
p   aptik:i386                      - Aptik system migration utility            
p   aptik-battery-monitor           - Utility to monitory battery life on laptop
p   aptik-battery-monitor:i386      - Utility to monitory battery life on laptop
i   aptik-gtk                       - System migration utility for Linux (GTK Fr
p   aptik-gtk:i386                  - System migration utility for Linux (GTK Fr
anyuser@f023:~$ 
let's make sure you have this. If both (aptik and aptik-gtk) show "i" then we may want to reinstall (or start over and purge) that big combined command install I recommended and just do it line by line instead.
redlined

Post by redlined »

philotux wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm You could try to install an earlier version of Aptik with the old GUI (included). It can be downloaded from: https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik-legacy/releases.
ahhhhh, yes, this reminds me "the devil is in the details" you may not have appropriate gtk (like gtk3) for this part since you are on LM17 and an older version may be better suited to use (I do not know how to check if that is the case)

I suppose as long you check for backwards compatibility by newest version to version you do eventually successfully use to get it done is supported, otherwise you may have to install the old version used on the new install of LM19 to finish importing all your settings... I think i need some more coffee :shock:

edit to add: apt may have already guessed what you really wanted too, lol, see if Aptik is available from menu if that is the case:)
philotux

Post by philotux »

There was a recent thread where the OP had issues with the gtk package:
lefticy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:04 pm thanks for the help... my problem is the the GTK GUI will not work in certain environments running 17.. and all the other packages and patches and add on's did nothing and its not the developers fault .
The question is how well an older version will run under LM19.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Redlined:

Well......
I got this:

x@x ~ $ sudo apt install aptik-gtk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package aptik-gtk
x@x ~ $ apt search aptik
p   aptik                           - Aptik system migration utility            
p   aptik-battery-monitor           - Utility to monitory battery life on laptop
x@x ~ $ 
Hmmmm...

Philotux's experience would suggest that all this might not be possible, since I may be in one of those "certain environments running 17" to which philotux's quote of lefticy's alludes:

lefticy wrote: ⤴
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:04 pm
thanks for the help... my problem is the the GTK GUI will not work in certain environments running 17.. and all the other packages and patches and add on's did nothing and its not the developers fault .
I suggest this for when I downloaded Clonezilla, (for use on this machine) only the "i 686" version would run, I see no such version on the Aptik site.
I seem to remember someone speaking of a programme that would scan your library, making a list that you would then import to your new install, at which point the programme would systematically download the proper versions for your new install from the repository, if available.
Maybe that programme was Aptik, I don't remember. Worse, I don't remember where I heard of it.

Later
redlined

Post by redlined »

ok, I spaced out, running an aptik backup to see if I could sort flags to use I forgot it goes to a terminal screen, framed by gtk options tabs when you push the backup now button...

anyways, let's work with this. What I have set is backup everything it can, including hidden files and directories in /home (which is where all your app settings are stored, etc,) and excepting install cache and "foreign packages" (which when hovered over defines them as non-native, e.g. 32bit packages installed on a 64bit system.

Note: aptik will not work with encrypted /home so a sync op may serve you better.

This is a copy of the command philotux just helped another in forum sort out from the --help

sudo aptik  --backup-all --basepath /path/to/Aptik

This is the command as it begins my backup full (excepting cache and foreign, including all else.
skip-cache pkexec aptik --backup-all --basepath '/home/anyuser/backups/aptik' --s

I just do not know if the commands need to be merged, e.g. add sudo to front of my string from a full aptik backup as the program printed it on terminal contained. or if mine is a bad string for manual cli use. I didn't see --s on a quick skim of --help and don't see example to get skip-cache (or --clear-cache) added in there..

I suppose it won't hurt to test, just make sure you have a big enough backup directory in --basepath, you might get a couple copies trying to sort this or see a best flag command line to get it done based on version aptik actually installed, just run aptik --help, it's pretty extensive

oh, and disable scrollback in terminal preferences, will be a good checklist you could copy to text file to make sure everyhing is accounted for, or sort different commands to run weekly, monthly, system upgrades, etc.

----
for what it's worth, doesn't look like spring cleaning is necessary (empty browser caches, dump the trash, etc :mrgreen:
This below is all excludes by default, with flags from my program terminal copy, as seen above.

exclude: /home/anyuser/.cache
exclude: /home/anyuser/.dbus
exclude: /home/anyuser/.gvfs
exclude: /home/anyuser/.config/dconf/user
exclude: /home/anyuser/.local/share/Trash
exclude: /home/anyuser/.local/share/trash
exclude: /home/anyuser/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache
exclude: /home/anyuser/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache2
exclude: /home/anyuser/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/OfflineCache
exclude: /home/anyuser/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/startupCache
exclude: /home/anyuser/.opera/cache
exclude: /home/anyuser/.kde/share/apps/kio_http/cache
exclude: /home/anyuser/.kde/share/cache/http
exclude: /home/anyuser/.gksu.lock
exclude: /home/anyuser/.temp
exclude: /home/anyuser/.xsession-errors*
exclude: /home/anyuser/.Xauthority
exclude: /home/anyuser/.ICEauthority
exclude: /home/anyuser/.sudo_as_admin_successful
Thing is, with a full backup like this it's a good idea to adjust settings in timeshift to exclude all that aptik is backing up, especially if you have a separate /home partition and backups to another drive or part altogether, gets redundant and in the multiple dozens of gigabytes range real quick.

Hope this helps!

----
edit to add: more talk about this dang string, skip-cache pkexec aptik --backup-all --basepath '/home/anyuser/backups/aptik' --s

if you want the install cache (as it's defined in program) then skip this step:

sudo aptik --clear-cache
if you want installed packages then give this a try:

sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/home/anyuser/backups/aptik'
of course edit command --basepath to your backup folder,

when you get a good dry run delete --dry-run from the command and enter in after a close and reopen of terminal to get a fresh slate, and one clean copyable results print to keep for reference, not 5+ :mrgreen:

-----
edit to add: link to Aptik user manual 8) https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik/blo ... /MANUAL.md
I'm out of gas for the night, calling it a night~

2nd edit to correct commands for manual aptik backup, sorted by trying it locally (removed --s)
Last edited by redlined on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

redlined:

Wow, there is a lot of information in that post..I've re-read it a few times. The manual link was also especially clarifying. Thank you.
Two problems remain however: I am still unable to get Aptik, and, what, aside of ordinary documents, jpeg's etc. is workable to migrate across versions, in this case 17 > 19?

Thanks again, ... later...
redlined

Post by redlined »

WHVW wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 pm redlined:

Wow, there is a lot of information in that post..I've re-read it a few times. The manual link was also especially clarifying. Thank you.
Two problems remain however: I am still unable to get Aptik, and, what, aside of ordinary documents, jpeg's etc. is workable to migrate across versions, in this case 17 > 19?

Thanks again, ... later...
hi WHVW!

Ok, yes that was way too long a reply, i do tend to ramble even more when tired :oops:

I just edit a little to correct my reply, but will share the command you want to try here so you can try it and see what all is getting backed up as a dry run, then simple delete --dry-run command and rerun it for the real deal.

use this command, After you edit the path to your aptik storage folder.

sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/path/to/yourbackups/aptik'
This will scroll a good amount of output in terminal, take a good look at that result and see if there is things included (by group) that we can flag out from being backed up.

Otherwise, once your backup is done on computer, if you want to use it to setup another LM install then copy contents of /aptik (the folder where --basepath points) to usb stick, plug it in other computer or fresh install on same, install aptik-gtk (if supported, if not cmdline for restore via aptik can be sorted again) and depending if you can use aptik-gtk for restore easy peasy, if not we'll sort how to get path to archive (on the stick) into cmdline for terminal run to give you back all you worked on setting up old LM.

Hope this helps!
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

redlined:

O.K. I finally got Aptik from the repository. For some reason it returned nothing on my first few tries, leading me to believe it just wasn't there. Now I will try what you suggest as soon as I can clear up a few other matters, hopefully by this evening.
You don't need to apologise for you long explanation...as far as I'm concerned, the more information, the better.

Thanks
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Migrating from 17.1 to 19

Post by WHVW »

redlined:

Well, as sure as the sun rises in the east....I have found a way to screw it up. The only time I got it to respond is the second instance (I had forgotten to copy the final apostrophe) replacing it helped not. At first, I had no sub-directory "aptik" in "Backup", so I created it, but no go. As you can see, I tried a few iterations with and without the "/aptik" suffix.

x@x ~ $ sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik
> 
>  sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup
[sudo] password for x: 
E: Path not found: /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik

sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath /mnt/DATA/Backup
x@x ~ $  sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath /mnt/DATA/Backup
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik'
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup'
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup
E: Path not found: /mnt/DATA/Backup
sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik
x@x ~ $ 
The last five lines appeared all at once, I must have inadvertently discovered a multi-line iteration of "shift| control + V"

What have I done wrong?

Thanks.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi WHVW!

we are almost there, lol! ok, Lets make it simple, run the commands below and lets get your shiney new mint19.1 installed and done :mrgreen:

some info, post results in code block,
sudo aptik --version

and
inxi -Fxzd

then
cd /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/ if this fails then we need to get into that aptik folder wherever it is, be mindful of caps vs lower case, etc. but reading the man I see this is just the dead easy way to do it, run the command from the directory you are in (in terminal).
https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik/blo ... -all-items
Backup & Restore All Items
sudo aptik --backup-all and sudo aptik --restore-all are one-line commands for taking a backup of your system and restoring it on a new system. You can safely use these 2 commands and skip the rest of this document, if you are not interested in knowing the details of each step.
Backup
Usage: aptik --backup-all
This will backup all items listed in the sections below. Backups are saved in current directory unless --basepath <path> is specified.
Restore
Usage: aptik --restore-all
This will restore all items listed in the sections below. Backups are restored from current directory unless --basepath <path> is specified.
so lets just run:
sudo aptik --backup-all you can add the --dry-run command if you like, leave a single space after --backup-all command, do a dry and review results, then do a full run with that command as is in code block, it will filter out the common things we don't want backups of anyways. After you install aptik on LM19.1 you'll be able to run command sudo aptik --restore-all and the magic happens, permissions and users, app settings, etc. Hope this helps! (fingers crossed, nah, this'll do it :wink:

edit to add: got an email you had responded, I'm off again for the night. I think this will get you ready for that fresh install, get that new 19.1 ISO verified and burned, it released!
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

redlined:

Here are the results of the commands you gave me:

x@x ~ $ sudo aptik --version
[sudo] password for x: 
x@x ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: x Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome  (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex GX270
           Mobo: Dell model: 0FG022 Bios: Dell version: A06 date: 09/29/2004
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 5586.34 clocked at 2793.171 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 865G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: ee00 edc0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000 ver: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: df40 bus-ID: 01:0c.0
           IF: eth2 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 89.7GB (41.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD204BA size: 20.4GB temp: 0C 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: Maxtor_6Y060L0 size: 61.5GB temp: 41C 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 7.8GB temp: 0C 
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom
           Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: N/A
Partition: ID: / size: 17G used: 16G (98%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 236M used: 51M (23%) fs: ext2 
           ID: swap-1 size: 1.61GB used: 1.15GB (71%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 153 Uptime: 7 days Memory: 1487.0/2014.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
x@x ~ $ 
and

x@x ~ $ sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik
> 
>  sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup
[sudo] password for x: 
E: Path not found: /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik

x@x ~ $  sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath /mnt/DATA/Backup
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik'
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup'
> sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run --basepath '/mnt/DATA/Backup
E: Path not found: /mnt/DATA/Backup
x@x ~ $ cd /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/
x@x /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik $ sudo aptik --backup-all --dry-run
[sudo] password for x: 
basepath='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik'
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup: Software Repositories
Saved: $basepath/repos/files/launchpad-ppas.list
Saved: $basepath/repos/files/removed.list
Saved: $basepath/repos/files/official-package-repositories.list
Saved: $basepath/repos/files/team-xbmc-kodi-old-trusty.list
$ apt-key exportall > '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/repos/files/apt.keys'
Keys exported: /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/repos/files/apt.keys
Backup completed
Backup: Downloaded Packages
$ rsync -avh --dry-run --exclude=lock --exclude=partial/ --exclude=apt-fast/ --include="*.deb" --exclude="*" '/var/cache/apt/archives/' '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/cache/files/debian/'

Backup completed
E: File not found: /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz
Backup: Installed Software
Saved: $basepath/packages/files/installed.list (2236 packages)
Saved: $basepath/packages/files/selected.list (1014 packages)
Backup completed
Backup: User Accounts
Saved: $basepath/users/files/root.passwd
Saved: $basepath/users/files/root.shadow
Saved: $basepath/users/files/x.passwd
Saved: $basepath/users/files/x.shadow
Backup completed
Backup: User Groups
Saved: $basepath/groups/files/x.group
Saved: $basepath/groups/files/x.gshadow
Saved: $basepath/groups/files/memberships.list
Backup completed
Backup: Home Directory Data
User: root ~ root

exclude: /root/.thumbnails
exclude: /root/.cache
exclude: /root/.dbus
exclude: /root/.gvfs
exclude: /root/.config/dconf/user
exclude: /root/.local/share/Trash
exclude: /root/.local/share/trash
exclude: /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache
exclude: /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache2
exclude: /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/OfflineCache
exclude: /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/startupCache
exclude: /root/.opera/cache
exclude: /root/.kde/share/apps/kio_http/cache
exclude: /root/.kde/share/cache/http
exclude: /root/.gksu.lock
exclude: /root/.temp
exclude: /root/.xsession-errors*
exclude: /root/.Xauthority
exclude: /root/.ICEauthority
exclude: /root/.sudo_as_admin_successful

Archiving: '/root'

$ cd '/root' ; tar cf - --exclude-from='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/root/exclude.list' -C '/root' . | pv -s $(du -sb '/root'  --exclude-from='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/root/exclude.list' | awk '{print $1}') | gzip > '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/root/data.tar.gz.temp' ; cd - ; 
E: File not found: '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/root/data.tar.gz.temp'
Created: $basepath/home/files/root/data.tar.gz
User: x ~ x

exclude: /home/x/.thumbnails
exclude: /home/x/.cache
exclude: /home/x/.dbus
exclude: /home/x/.gvfs
exclude: /home/x/.config/dconf/user
exclude: /home/x/.local/share/Trash
exclude: /home/x/.local/share/trash
exclude: /home/x/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache
exclude: /home/x/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache2
exclude: /home/x/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/OfflineCache
exclude: /home/x/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/startupCache
exclude: /home/x/.opera/cache
exclude: /home/x/.kde/share/apps/kio_http/cache
exclude: /home/x/.kde/share/cache/http
exclude: /home/x/.gksu.lock
exclude: /home/x/.temp
exclude: /home/x/.xsession-errors*
exclude: /home/x/.Xauthority
exclude: /home/x/.ICEauthority
exclude: /home/x/.sudo_as_admin_successful

Archiving: '/home/x'

$ cd '/home/x' ; tar cf - --exclude-from='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/x/exclude.list' -C '/home/x' . | pv -s $(du -sb '/home/x'  --exclude-from='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/x/exclude.list' | awk '{print $1}') | gzip > '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/x/data.tar.gz.temp' ; cd - ; 
E: File not found: '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/home/files/x/data.tar.gz.temp'
Created: $basepath/home/files/x/data.tar.gz
Backup completed
File not found: /etc/crypttab
Backup: Mount Entries
Saved: /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/mounts/files/none.fstab
Saved: /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/mounts/files/_mnt_DATA.fstab
Backup completed
Backup: Icons
saved: $basepath/icons/exclude.list

Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Adwaita'                                  [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black'                                [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/DMZ-White'                                [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Foxtrot'                                  [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Gion'                                     [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/gnome'                                    [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/gnome-alternative'                        [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Humanity'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Humanity-Dark'                            [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Mint-X'                                   [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Mint-X-Dark'                              [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Neu'                                      [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/oxygen'                                   [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/Tango'                                    [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/icons/zygrib'                                   [ OK ]

Backup completed
Backup: Themes
saved: $basepath/themes/exclude.list

Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Adwaita'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/AgingGorilla'                            [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Atlanta'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Bright'                                  [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks'                              [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Crux'                                    [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Darklooks'                               [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Dust'                                    [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Dust Sand'                               [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Esco'                                    [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Industrial'                              [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Linux Mint'                              [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Metabox'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Mint-X'                                  [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Mint-Z'                                  [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Mist'                                    [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/New Wave'                                [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/New Wave Dark Menus'                     [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Raleigh'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Redmond'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Shiki-Colors-Easy-Metacity'              [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Shiki-Colors-Metacity'                   [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Shiki-Colors-Striped-Metacity'           [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Simple'                                  [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/ThinIce'                                 [ OK ]
Archiving '/usr/share/themes/Unity'                                   [ OK ]

Backup completed
Backup: Fonts
saved: $basepath/fonts/exclude.list

Path: /usr/share/fonts

$ rsync -avh -L --dry-run --prune-empty-dirs --exclude=cmap/ --exclude=type1/ --exclude=X11/ --exclude-from='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/fonts/exclude.list' '/usr/share/fonts/' '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/fonts/files/'

Backup completed
Backup: Dconf Settings
Saved: (root) $basepath/dconf/files/root.dconf-settings
Saved: (x) $basepath/dconf/files/x.dconf-settings

Backup completed
Backup: Scheduled Tasks
$ crontab -u root -l > '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/cron/files/root.crontab'
Saved: (root) $basepath/cron/files/root.crontab
$ crontab -u x -l > '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/cron/files/x.crontab'
Saved: (x) $basepath/cron/files/x.crontab

saved: $basepath/cron/exclude.list

$ rsync -avh '/etc/' '/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/cron/files/' --exclude-from='/mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik/cron/exclude.list'
Backup completed
x@x /mnt/DATA/Backup/aptik $ 
This (dry run) sure looks like everything is in proper order, so I am going to "kick the snowball down the hill", as it were, and go for it.
I do have a question about a verification anomaly, on my LM 19 install which I will ask on another post. Since it is a fresh install, it will be easy enough to blow it away and start anew if I must. At least I will know the "ins and outs" of this process.
Again, looking at the results of the "dry run", this whole thing just looks as if it will work perfectly, without a hitch, on the first try (and) I'm rarely this optimistic about any process that involves a computer.

Thank you, and we will find out more in the next exciting episode. Merry Christmes!

Return to “Software & Applications”