"Structure needs cleaning" error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vera

"Structure needs cleaning" error

Post by Vera »

Please note: I'm not familiar with Linux terminal/command line.

On an external hard drive, I have a 9TB VeraCrypt encrypted file container (which uses the Ext4 file system), as a standard volume, not hidden.
Unfortunately I forgot that when I first made this containter, on the "Cross-Platform Support" prompt, I selected the option titled "I will mount the volume only on Linux".

The other day I wanted to access the file container on my Macbook, so in Mac OSX I installed extFS to be able to read the volume's Ext4 file system, and also intalled VeraCrypt, which first required installing OSXFUSE. Then when I tried to mount the file container in OSX, the MacBook spontaneously restarted.

Now when I mount the file container from Linux Mint, and I try to open the root folder in the volume, I get a message saying:

The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry, could not display the contents of "folder": Error when getting information for file "/media/veracrypt2/Red 10TB/file": Structure needs cleaning

Any clue how I could recover the files?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”