Browsers that sync (and actually work!)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgringo619

Browsers that sync (and actually work!)

Post by ajgringo619 »

I've been trying to find an alternative to Chromium, mainly because the Android version doesn't block ads or allow extensions. My requirements are simple - sync between my devices (Android phone and Linux PC), not be a resource hog, and play in-line videos. After multiple attempts today, I'm back on Chromium; at least it works.

Firefox - installs fine, syncs with Android, plays video...but some sites just don't function correctly. For example, I can't even login to Reddit as the sign-in window refuses to accept any keyboard input.
Brave - seems like it would be a seamless transition, but the syncing feature isn't enabled yet (when this is fixed, I'll probably try again)
Opera - very fast, much lower resource footprint, syncs with Android...but video playback is a joke.

Any recommendations?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Browsers that sync (and actually work!)

Post by phd21 »

Hi ajgringo619,

What about Google Chrome? "Slimjet" works great and syncs everything but passwords.

Firefox sync works great, can you provide the link to "Reddit" that does not work for you? There are still some websites, not many, that expect you to be using a certain operating system and or browser usually when creating a new account or maybe for the first login because of outdated designs, but that can be easily overcome by adding a "user agent switcher" and setting it to MS Windows and whatever browser you want even though you may be using Linux and Firefox the websites wil think you are using something different.

User-Agent Switcher :: MyBrowserAddon
https://mybrowseraddon.com/useragent-switcher.html#faq

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ajgringo619

Re: Browsers that sync (and actually work!)

Post by ajgringo619 »

The Firefox link was just https://www.reddit.com/. Chromium on Mint/Windows isn't the issue, it's Chrome on Android that's the problem. I was really hoping that Opera would be the solution - the memory usage was way smaller than Chromium. Firefox seems slow and bloated to me; it used to be my favorite browser, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Return to “Software & Applications”