Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Google Chrome

Post by Pepi »

I downloaded Google Chrome and find it much faster than Firefox or Waterfox. I really don't mind the difference either but I was wondering about security by using Google Chrome. Is it safe to use for banking etc?

Thanks

Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Google Chrome

Post by Mage of Maple »

The short answer is yes. I'm surprised you see a big difference, though. The newer versions of Firefox are very fast.

You could also consider Chromium which is fully open-source and forms the base of Chrome but is lacking a couple of media codecs, etc. If you install Chromium, navigate to about:sandbox and verify that the built-in security sandboxing is working.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

I should rephrase my post ... Google Chrome is not much faster but it streams videos better. I watch a 'Live' Youtube streams a lot and it is always timing out with Firefox or Waterfox. Google Chrome will run run and run :?:

redlined

Post by redlined »

hi Pepi!

Chrome/chromium is as safe if not more so than any common browser out there. Chrome is a bit more bullish in linking in with a google account, but is same basics as a firefox account & sync sign in, which can be handy for syncing bookmarks, settings, extensions etc between devices that do sign in for sync browsers- like chrome (also works if you use chromium, the full opensource engine in the repo that works as good on Linux and doesn't require adding google chrome PPA).

The big issue with chrome, as I see it is more due to the 3rd party snooping going on is compounded greatly when signed in to chrome with a google account, which then google follows you everywhere personalizing advertisements with little need for cookies, single pixle trackers, and other means. Locking chrome/chromium severly crippling or denying google access to that inof gathering is always something I prioritize and use black/blocklists, browser tweaks in 'advanced' settings (the about:config level stuff) and addons/extensions I trust to get the job done filtering trackers and ads, etc and basically denying their access to my life online.

A recent forum discussion brought up a couple excellent tools for "taming" chrome and firefox, worth a look to see if it will help manage concerns via some well put together scripts to automate it. See thx-1138 reply in the Linux vs privacy thread: viewtopic.php?p=1561151#p1561151

those links in that response open up some real good doors for keeping FF and Chrome tame, even remove google from chrome so to speak. Hope this helps!

edit to clarify: mea culpa, the chrome tweak I mentioned is actually a chromium fork not a script for tweaking chromium into submission. The ghacks links are the tweakers, adn for FF only., ref link: https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

needless to say, Chrome/chromium is safe for banking use and has quite a strong security profile that can be included by signing in and using 2-factor auth and such. Biggest threats remain to privacy and rogue addons/extensions created with maliscious intents. Stick with the basic reputable addons for helping privacy and security concerns and Chrome is a stable workhorse meeting, exceeding, or even setting new standards in secure use.

Lemonjuice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lemonjuice »

I should rephrase my post ... Google Chrome is not much faster but it streams videos better. I watch a 'Live' Youtube streams a lot and it is always timing out with Firefox or Waterfox. Google Chrome will run run and run :?:
Those who are interested in good video performance for YouTube and other services could try this: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/h ... rated.html
I was able to get GPU playback using this guide.
Last edited by Moem on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Somewhat related to the direction of this thread:
... according to a Hacker News post by Joshua Bakita, who served as an intern on Edge team, Microsoft was basically left with no choice but to join the Google fold. If his accounts are accurate, it seems as though Google was actively looking for ways to thwart competing browsers from properly accessing/displaying its web apps.
Read more at https://hothardware.com/news/former-mic ... vBfaq3T.99
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Pepi wrote:
I watch a 'Live' Youtube streams a lot and it is always timing out with Firefox or Waterfox. Google Chrome will run run and run :?:
That's not surprising since Google owns YouTube. They always make their services run better with their own browser. I wish they'd get taken to court for anti-competitive practices.

Return to “Software & Applications”