[Solved] software updater not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] software updater not working

Post by Gladeous »

I have a desktop PC. Uploaded Mint 17.3 XFCE via a CD. It is running off of ubuntu 14.04
Ran software updater and got message
Warning: Security updates for your current hardware
Enablement Stack
ended on 2016-08-04.
Check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL

I went to the sight. Main thing I understood was that need to upgrade to 16.04 using ’’hwe-support-status’’’ tool. Google the tool but found nothing explaining it or it's location on my PC

Googled upgrade to 16:04 and found instructions at https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... -16-04-lts
Followed instructions up to sudo do-release-upgrade
Result =
xscreensaver and xlockmore must be restarted before upgrading │
│ │
│ One or more running instances of xscreensaver or xlockmore have been │
│ detected on this system. Because of incompatible library changes, the │
│ upgrade of the GNU libc library will leave you unable to authenticate to │
│ these programs. You should arrange for these programs to be restarted or │
│ stopped before continuing this upgrade, to avoid locking your users out │
│ of their current sessions.

Since then I have to put password in to shut down.

What should I do to solve this problem? My knowledge is basic so please be specific.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hcentaur13

Re: software updater not working

Post by hcentaur13 »

Your system is too old to upgrade.

Backup your home directory an install from crash the most current system. Than is Mint 19 or in some short days Mint 19.1.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

My desktop manufacture date 2004, thus loaded mint 17.3. Ram is 640GB. Will mint 19.0 work on this old PC?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Gladeous wrote:
Ram is 640GB.
I think you mean 640MB? I wouldn't even try Mint 18 on only 640MB.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

Schultz wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:03 pm
Gladeous wrote:
Ram is 640GB.
I think you mean 640MB? I wouldn't even try Mint 18 on only 640MB.
Info says memory 3GB. Hard drive 640GB. Isn't hard drive the RAM?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Gladeous wrote:
Info says memory 3GB. Hard drive 640GB. Isn't hard drive the RAM?
No, memory is the RAM (random access memory). Your hard drive's size is 640GB.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

hcentaur13 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:16 am Your system is too old to upgrade.

Backup your home directory an install from crash the most current system. Than is Mint 19 or in some short days Mint 19.1.
You mean my operating system mint 17.3 XFCE is to old. It is supported till June 2019. So I am confused. What exactly is old?
How would I backup home directory an install from crash the most current system? Would be simpler to just start over with CD of Mint OS?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I would download Mint 18.3, put it on a DVD/USB, and try it out in a live session. You have nothing to lose. Or you can be daring and try Mint 19 (the newer kernel in 19 might not work on a machine from 2004).
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

Looking at mint 18 downloads I see a MATE, XFCE, and Cinnamon https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. Which will work on my desktop? What is the difference?

I have problems in the past with OS download onto a flash drive not working. My son-in-law whom writes software put the software on a flash drive. So there must be a specific way to put the os on a flash drive. Where will I get instructions?
Last edited by Gladeous on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I would just stick with XFCE since you've already been using it. Unless you're not satisfied with it, then go with MATE. But I'd avoid Cinnamon with only 3GB of RAM.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

Schultz wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm I would just stick with XFCE since you've already been using it. Unless you're not satisfied with it, then go with MATE. But I'd avoid Cinnamon with only 3GB of RAM.
I had bought the CD on Ebay for it was only $5. For download onto flash drive did not work. Didn't at the time realize there are different versions of Mint 17.3. Here https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint read Mint 18 XFCE for most old PCs
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

That's an excellent site you linked to. I've used it quite a bit myself. For your situation, two things stick out from that page:
Cinnamon is relatively heavy on the system resources,
and
Xfce: the Xfce edition is much more lightweight than both MATE and Cinnamon. Therefore it's very suitable for older computers.
Another thing to consider: is the version of 17.3 you're running 32 bit or 64 bit? If you don't know, paste this inxi -Fxz in a terminal window and press enter. If you can't decipher it, paste the results back here. I recommend downloading Mint 18.3 XFCE. And as far as either 32 or 64 bit, if your version of 17.3 is 32 bit, then I would go with Mint 18.3 XFCE 32 bit. If your version of 17.3 is 64 bit, then go with Mint 18.3 XFCE 64 bit.

Once you know which version to download, go ahead and download it. Once you got it downloaded, you need to burn it to a DVD disc (a CD disc is too small). Open Xfburn (you should have that app since you're on Xfce) and click on "Burn Image." On the window that pops up, under "Image to burn," browse to your newly download iso file of Mint and select that. Then press "Burn image." Once that is done, you can now boot into Mint 18.3 from the disc. Once you're booted into it, you can play around with it and see if everything works okay (just remember that when you boot from a disc, things will run slow since everything has to be read off the disc; that is normal). If everything works, then you can select "Install Mint." Good luck.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Gladeous wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm Where will I get instructions?
Here: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

running 64 bit
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

Schultz wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm Once you know which version to download, go ahead and download it. Once you got it downloaded, you need to burn it to a DVD disc (a CD disc is too small). Open Xfburn (you should have that app since you're on Xfce) and click on "Burn Image." On the window that pops up, under "Image to burn," browse to your newly download iso file of Mint and select that. Then press "Burn image." Once that is done, you can now boot into Mint 18.3 from the disc. Once you're booted into it, you can play around with it and see if everything works okay (just remember that when you boot from a disc, things will run slow since everything has to be read off the disc; that is normal). If everything works, then you can select "Install Mint." Good luck.
thanks!!
Only con is that I have to reinstall my 6 email addresses.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Gladeous wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm I have to reinstall my 6 email addresses.
Which email client are you using? Generally, it's possible to backup your profile (inclding account data and saved emails) and put the whole thing in your new installation, and have everything back.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

Well now desktop w Linux mint won't even open up. It starts up then due to malfunction I have to hit a key for it to start. Then i get a black screen. Fortunately I have a laptop. It has Windows 7. I will have to Google later what program needed to burn a DVD w windows 7
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

whenever i had to burn a linux ISO from any windows OS including win 7 and win 10, i always used "cdburnerxp" it has always worked flawlessly and is very simple to use...DAMIEN
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
whenever i had to burn a linux ISO from any windows OS including win 7 and win 10, i always used "cdburnerxp" it has always worked flawlessly and is very simple to use...DAMIEN
+1 for cdburnerxp. That's what I put on my wife's and son's Windows computers.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gladeous »

Downloading linux mint 18 XFCE Sarah now. The time it shows to download keeps changing. Sometimes it shows 2 days, 18 hrs, 10 hrs Does anybody know how long it takes on windows 7 using comcast 250 speed, lowest of comcast?

Well downloaded from a different mirror and got it downloaded in 45 mins. Now need to get a DVD. Do I get a DVD R or DVD RW?
Last edited by Gladeous on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software & Applications”