Unkown problem File Managers.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Unkown problem File Managers.

Post by bartszu »

Yo Peeps !!!

After 8 years of running Linux I stumble across problem, I don't know what it is, how to diagnose, approach.
My File Managers = Caja and Nemo stopped today respond to scrolling while file browsing.
Strangely scrolling works perfect in Firefox, WaterFox, LibreOffice and Pinta.

??????? confused

I use onboard on daily basis too, maybe there I switched something, no id.

Folks please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Unkown problem File Managers.

Post by Mute Ant »

I guess the File Manager of a desktop OS is quite extensively tested in alpha, beta and released versions... someone(s) would have noticed and fixed a systemic anomaly. My number one suspect is that your hard drive is complaining, almost silently, that it's having problems with Read or Write.

I would...

1) Get my unique data copied somewhere offline or remote. That's normal practice anyway. It's 'plain bonkers' not to duplicate your data at least once.

2) Run the Accessory Disks and ask it for a drive SMART report. The SMART is not perfect, but if there's an internal drive problem it will notice.

3) Use a Live Session boot of a Mint DVD or USB to test the machine's RAM storage. The transistors are so amazingly tiny they are nearly quantum; RAM probably works, most of the time, but it's impossible to test for every pattern. Linux will automatically blacklist bad blocks of RAM but it's best not to have any.
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unkown problem File Managers.

Post by bartszu »

Hmm yeah disc ain't new one on that thing.

Return to “Software & Applications”