Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

(SOLVED) Recovering Files In A Specific Folder

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:55 am

i have a folder that i seem to be missing a lot of files from and want to try to recover them without scanning the entire partition, thoughts ideas? thanks
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Recovering Files In A Specific Folder

Post by xenopeek » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:11 pm

I don't think either TestDisk or PhotoRec have that option. They both have a detailed guide and FAQ on their wiki: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/. Have a look.

The easiest way will be to recover the files from your backup, if you have that.

donalduck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by donalduck » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm

ex4magic, a little program that could help you (has worked for me)
I suppose you have space in another partition to recover things, among them you may find your file ... or not !

from the manual
NAME
ext4magic - recover deleted files on ext3/4 filesystems

SYNOPSIS
ext4magic {-M|-m} [-j <journal_file>] [-d <target_dir>] <filesystem>

ext4magic [-S|-J|-H|-V|-T] [-x] [-j <journal_file>] [-B n|-I n|-f <file_name>|-i <input_list>] [-t n|[[-a n][-b n]]] [-d <target_dir>] [-R|-r|-L|-l] [-Q] <filesystem>

DESCRIPTION
The deletion of files in ext3/4 filesystems can not be easily reversed. Zero out of the block references in the Inodes makes that impossible.
Experience with other programs have proved, it is often possible, to restore sufficient information for a recover of many data files,
directly from the filesystem Journal. ext4magic can extract the information from the Journal, and can restore files in entire directory trees,
provided that the information in the Journal are sufficient. This tool can recover the most file types, can recover large and sparse files,
recovered files with orginal filename, with the orginal owner an group, the orginal file mode bits, and also the old atime/mtime stamp.

The filesystem Journal has a very different purpose, and it will not be possible to recover any file at any time.
Many factors affects which data and how long the data store in the Journal. Read the ext4magic documentation
for more extensive information about the filesytem Journal.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:36 pm

xenopeek wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:11 pm
I don't think either TestDisk or PhotoRec have that option. They both have a detailed guide and FAQ on their wiki: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/. Have a look.

The easiest way will be to recover the files from your backup, if you have that.
i looked at both those already and from what i could see neither wl do what i want.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:01 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:55 am
i have a folder that i seem to be missing a lot of files from and want to try to recover them without scanning the entire partition, thoughts ideas? thanks
Isn't that impossible? Because the files could be anywhere on the partition, physically, and without an intact directory to tell you where they are.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Flemur wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:01 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Isn't that impossible? Because the files could be anywhere on the partition, physically, and without an intact directory to tell you where they are.
i have a intact directory. it's only the files in the main folder that are missing not the subfolders.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:58 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Flemur wrote:
MrGrimm wrote:
i have a intact directory. it's only the files in the main folder that are missing not the subfolders.
Files can be anywhere on the partition. "Missing files", if they exist, are files without a directory entry (I shouldn't have called it "not intact"). Without a directory entry you don't know where to look, other than somewhere in the partition.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Flemur wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:58 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Flemur wrote:

Files can be anywhere on the partition. "Missing files", if they exist, are files without a directory entry (I shouldn't have called it "not intact"). Without a directory entry you don't know where to look, other than somewhere in the partition.

all that aside i'm looking for something gui based not command line based.

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:12 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 pm
Try the "RLinux".
Link to download:
https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-rec ... load.shtml

I downloaded the program but never installed it, so I never used it.
You can try and tell us how it went.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:25 am

Flemur wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:58 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Flemur wrote:

ricardogroetaers wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:12 am
MrGrimm wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 pm
Try the "RLinux".
Link to download:
https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-rec ... load.shtml

I downloaded the program but never installed it, so I never used it.
You can try and tell us how it went.
ricardogroetaers rlinux worked like a charm, thank you ever so much. Flemur i appreciate the help, but since i'm so new at being back on linux for now i'm more comfortable with handling disk operations via a gui. if i sounded blunt above it was not my intent.

Return to “Software & Applications”