Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

/etc/issue rewritten on reboot

Post by nandemonai »

Hiya guys n gals.

I'm wondering where /etc/issue gets written from. I've tried editing it to no avail, it always resets on a reboot.

I tried checking /etc/init.d/bootlogs.sh (where MOTD is written from) but can't see anything in there that affects /etc/issue.

Appreciated.
Linux Mint 7 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: /etc/issue rewritten on reboot

Post by Husse »

That's a file that you should not tamper with
It should read what it reads - period
It can read
Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition \n \l
or something else according to what you have and if it reads something else you may find you are in trouble
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai »

Husse wrote:That's a file that you should not tamper with
It should read what it reads - period
It can read
Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition \n \l
or something else according to what you have and if it reads something else you may find you are in trouble
Care to elaborate on that for me Husse? I was under the impression that this file was only parsed pre login as a system identifier for someone logging in and that any calls for system identification were done with lsb_release -a. As a side note I've just noticed there is no /etc/lsb-release file in Mint (it exists on every Ubuntu distro I've used) so can I ask why that is and why changing the /etc/issue file is a bad idea then?

Cheers.

From the man:
DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/issue is a text file which contains a message or system
identification to be printed before the login prompt. It may contain
various @char and \char sequences, if supported by the getty-type pro-
gram employed on the system.
Linux Mint 7 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

There is a /etc/lsb-release in Mint - if you don't have it is an error in your system
/etc/issue is reset by mintSystem and is used for more than log in
Other cases when an identification is needed
I don't want to give you a flawed answer so I have to check if it is used for what I think it is so I'll come back to you

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai »

Husse wrote:There is a /etc/lsb-release in Mint - if you don't have it is an error in your system
/etc/issue is reset by mintSystem and is used for more than log in
Other cases when an identification is needed
I don't want to give you a flawed answer so I have to check if it is used for what I think it is so I'll come back to you
Appreciated Husse. Odd about the lack of a /etc/lsb-release file on my system. I've not messed with it or anything that would have prevented it being written etc. I'm running Mint 7 64Bit, ISO passed MD5 fine before I installed too. Standard desktop install.

I look forward to your reply.

Oh as a side note, which may or may not be related, my /etc/issue file is somewhat malformed which was the main reason I wanted to edit it.

Code: Select all

nandemonai@blackbox ~ $ cat /etc/issue
Linux Mint 7 Gloria - x64 Edition \n \lnandemonai@blackbox ~ $
Vs say Karmic:

nandemonai@brownbox:~$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu karmic (development branch) \n \l

nandemonai@brownbox:~$

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Sorry my mistake /etc/issue seems to be used at login
I distinctly remember reading that it was used for something else too but I was mistaken
mintsystem brings an adjustment system which overwrites /etc/issue and puts the info found in /etc/linuxmint/info in it.
Your /etc/issue is completely strange - I can't understand how you got that there.....

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai »

Thanks again for the info Husse. Yeah, I was a little confused about it myself. The /etc/issue file has been like that since install, I noticed it when I was logging in on tty for the first time which then had me changing it by adding a carriage return but it wouldn't stick.

Odd indeed. I'll do a little more prying.

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai »

You can avoid this rewrite of /etc/issue by editing: /etc/linuxmint/mintSystem.conf

[global]
enabled = True
[restore]
lsb-release = True
etc-issue = False
splash-screens = True
ctrl-alt-backspace = True
update-grub = True
Viola

Return to “Software & Applications”