Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Firejail in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by Mazda81 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:02 am

I generally secure my browsers with Firejail in Linux Mint. In previous versions I would right-click on the browser icon in the panel and modify the launcher to include the word firejail. I''m not getting this option in Linux Mint 19.1 cinnamon only a preferences tab that doesn't give access to the launcher.
If I create a desktop icon I can modify the launcher but then I get a profile error message.
For that, you perform in Linux Mint Cinnamon a rightclick with your mouse on the icon of Firefox in the panel of your desktop - Edit - Command: change this into:
firejail firefox %u
The above is from the Easy Linux Tips website but I'm not seeing the Edit - Command option.
Last edited by Mazda81 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firejail in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by philotux » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:09 am

Regarding editing the "launchers" on the panel, please have a look at this topic, specially @smurphos' replies:Cinnamon 4.0: Edit Launcher Properties [SOLVED]

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:43 am

This is the solution on above topic:
philotux wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:12 pm
[..] Right-click on the menu icon and choose "configure...", under the "menu" tab: open the menu editor. In the left pane mark the category and in the right pane mark the app and click properties.
You can edit the command there. Afterwards you may have to restart Cinnamon or log out and log back in, but that will also update the command used in the panel launchers.

Alternatively you can just use the way Firejail does this itself, by creating a symbolic link as such:
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firejail /usr/local/bin/firefox
That command creates a link to firejail called 'firefox'. When next Firefox is launched it will in fact launch Firejail and Firejail will see it was launched from a file called 'firefox' so will then run the actual Firefox but inside Firejail.

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Re: Firejail in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by Mazda81 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for the replies,
I have switched to the traditional layout and modified the launchers, firejail is working now. I actually prefer the new layout so I will try xenopeek's suggestions.

Thanks

Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (Solved) Firejail in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by Mazda81 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:28 am

I have found a simple way to launch Firefox with Firejail using the modern layout in 19.1 Cinnamon. If you utilise the program launcher applet it creates an icon for Firefox on the panel. This icon allows you to edit the launcher in the traditional way. I have manually added Opera to the launcher applet which also works but it has a generic icon. If anyone knows the official way to add a program to the launcher applet please let me know.

dharmabum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dharmabum » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:05 pm

"Alternatively you can just use the way Firejail does this itself, by creating a symbolic link as such:
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firejail /usr/local/bin/firefox
That command creates a link to firejail called 'firefox'. When next Firefox is launched it will in fact launch Firejail and Firejail will see it was launched from a file called 'firefox' so will then run the actual Firefox but inside Firejail."

I tried that, but afterwards, when i tried to launch firefox, firefox would tell me that my profile was missing. So i tried to fix that problem and finally had to give up, uninstall firefox, completely purge firejail using a purge command someone suggested, and reinstall firefox. Thank God that purge command worked, because firefox then launched as usual. I'm not going to use firejail again, it's a problematic app for me. (I'm using L.M. 19.1 on a Hewlitt Pacckard hp 2000 laptop.)

Thanks for trying and Merry Christmas!

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (Solved) Firejail in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Post by decrepit » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:59 am

Yes well I have that problem as well, I think it's because the firefox profile is missing from firejail, if I figure out the solution I'll get back

Return to “Software & Applications”