Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
IDG
Level 2
Level 2

Clone and restore disk with Macrium Reflect

Post by IDG »

Does cloning and restoring disk with Macrium Reflect work with Macrium Reflect Live CD?

redlined

Re: Clone and restore disk with Macrium Reflect

Post by redlined »

got link?

edit to add: have you considered clonezilla as an option to fulfil your needs?

rbmorse
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rbmorse »

IDG, I didn't know Macrium Reflect had a live CD. Do you mean the rescue boot media created by an installed version of Reflect? If that's what you are referring to, then yes, it works fine with straight, unencrypted EXT4 partitions (and the FAT ESP if you have a UEFI machine).

I don't know if Reflect can work with with LVM or encrypted partitions, or other file systems like BTRFS or XFS. I seem to recall that if Reflect encounters a file system it doesn't understand it automagically reverts to creating a straight bit copy of the entire partition, but that is slow and an inefficient use of space on the storage medium.

When booting from the rescue medium, the program's menu/window layout is a little different from the installed version. All the necessaries are there, but the first time I tried to restore a partition from an image stored on an external hard drive it took a little spelunking to find the backup store. After that the rest of the process was straightforward.

I can also tell you that Reflect is one heck of a lot faster when executed from within a Windows session than it is when run from the Rescue medium.
Hope is not a plan

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

IDG wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:53 pm
Does cloning and restoring disk with Macrium Reflect work with Macrium Reflect Live CD?
YES, it does.

Provided that you have created that LiveCD from Windows, AND you checked the box to install all of the Optional Bootup features. e.g., what that does, is install all parameters needed to boot on any PC/laptop, not just the one that created the LiveCD.

I made the LiveCD from a Win7 Gateway desktop, and then used it to boot up my ASUS Linux laptop ( windows is gone ) and it showed me all of the partitions on the HHD.

I then told it to make an Image Copy to my extUSB HDD on the NTSF partition.
worked like a charm. then I told it to use that cloned image, and overwrite the laptop where it came from.

again, it worked perfect.
As all Cloned Images are, they are a static image of when you made that image.
You cannot pick out a file, or see the contents.
It is all, or none, but that is what a cloned image is for.

IMO, Macrium Reflect is the easiest way to clone a HDD. It is something all Windows users are familiar with, and won't lead you astray. It has a very easy GUI to understand....
Clonezilla is in the Dark Ages, and an abomination for new users to try and make work. I never got it to work right...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:34 pm
Clonezilla is in the Dark Ages, and an abomination for new users to try and make work. I never got it to work right...
If you're talking about the interface, I agree; the program itself works great.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.3.0-46-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM [440.82]

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:34 pm
If you're talking about the interface, I agree; the program itself works great.

Clonezilla ain't worth diddly if the Interface is so convoluted it can't be trusted...
and that is where I left Clonezilla.....
I made a lot of attempts to use it "easily", and it is anything but easy to use.

and I refuse to use it from Terminal, because I have no clue as to what it is going to do w/o being able to visually see a representation of "what is going to happen".

with Gparted, I can see exactly what is going to happen.....
IF, someone would write up a GUI for Clonezilla that looks similar to Gparted, then it would be worthwhile, maybe....

Meanwhile, I will stick to file backups and Aptik, and do a fresh install, and restore the file backups.
or use Macrium Reflect because it is soooo easy to use.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

I guess I've just gotten used to it. A GUI would definitely help, but I doubt that's even being considered.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.3.0-46-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM [440.82]

IDG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by IDG »

What is the best app that have GUI and with little steps and can clone encrypted Linux drive?

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

IDG wrote:
You might want to look at this...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431

Yes it does work...best thing since sliced bread. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

bob466 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 am
IDG wrote:

Macrium Reflect is my favorite disk image tool.

but, when you create that LiveCD under /Tools/Option

make sure that you check the box to install the Extra Options for booting.....
that is so that it can boot up ANY pc even if it is not the same brand as what you made the LiveCD with.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm »

bob466 wrote:
IDG wrote:

you might want to look at the fact that that livecd is made in a virtual environment. i would never trust something as important as a disk image to something created in a vm.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:55 am
bob466 wrote:
IDG wrote:

you might want to look at the fact that that livecd is made in a virtual environment. i would never trust something as important as a disk image to something created in a vm.
Firstly it's not a live CD/DVD...it's a Rescue Disk that has a Pre-installed Environment which works very well...I've been using it in Windoze for many years and now in Mint since Cinnamon 17.2 and has never let me down. If you follow my instructions...you can't go wrong.

The System Image created with the Rescue Disk can easily be used to Re-Image the same HDD or a different HDD (in case of HDD failure) or on another Computer. I can Install say Cinnamon 19.1 on my spare HDD...create a System Image and Re-Image my Main HDD which has Cinnamon 18.3 on it...it's that easy...but if you haven't tried it you'll never know will you. :)
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Software & Applications”