GPG error in Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
72nCounting
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GPG error in Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Post by 72nCounting »

@gm10, thanks for letting us know your fixes didn't make it into 19.2. And, sorry for your loss of position.
ezau_primo

Post by ezau_primo »

72nCounting wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:51 pm @ezau_primo, @gm10 wrote, (above), that he had fixed this problem in Mint 19.2, when it comes out. Well, 19.2 is out now. (Upgrade instruction at https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3792.) Upgrade to 19.2, then try your brightness controller installation again. Let us know how it works.
I read it's better to install the whole system rather than upgrade it. People here on forum told me that in order to avoid possible errors.
I'll upgrade the system in some months, I guess. I can't do it now because I'm busy with the university and other things. But I ran the command that I replied here in this topic and it worked. Brightness controller is running well :).
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ezau_primo wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:33 pm I read it's better to install the whole system rather than upgrade it. People here on forum told me that in order to avoid possible errors.
I'd sign that statement for going from one major release to another, but going from one point release to the next there's really no need because you stay on the same Ubuntu software base, only some Mint tools and potentially your desktop environment get upgraded, but not the core of the system.

Not that a clean install is every wrong, mind you.
ezau_primo

Post by ezau_primo »

@gm10
Sad for read that. Looking at your replies it seemed to me you were doing a good job.
ezau_primo

Post by ezau_primo »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm I'd sign that statement for going from one major release to another, but going from one point release to the next there's really no need because you stay on the same Ubuntu software base, only some Mint tools and potentially your desktop environment get upgraded, but not the core of the system.

Not that a clean install is every wrong, mind you.
Good to know. I thought one point release could bring major changes that could crash the system if upgrading it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

ezau_primo wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:44 pm Good to know. I thought one point release could bring major changes that could crash the system if upgrading it.
Not really. A point release can bring major changes (upgrading your entire desktop environment is fairly major) but the risks of bugs shouldn't be elevated when doing an in-place upgrade. There are minor differences between a system that has been upgraded and one that has been clean installed but depending on your desktop environment you'll currently arguably have the better experience when upgrading actually.
ezau_primo wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 pm Sad for read that. Looking at your replies it seemed to me you were doing a good job.
Thanks, and nobody ever disputed that, we parted ways for other reasons - if you care, my PPA thread on the forums has a little more info, but it's ancient history now. ;)
ezau_primo

Post by ezau_primo »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Not really. A point release can bring major changes (upgrading your entire desktop environment is fairly major) but the risks of bugs shouldn't be elevated when doing an in-place upgrade. There are minor differences between a system that has been upgraded and one that has been clean installed but depending on your desktop environment you'll currently arguably have the better experience when upgrading actually.
So I can rethink about upgrading soon :). Thanks :D

Return to “Software & Applications”