Timeshift (on Tessa, LM 19.1) - ERROR:arraylist.c:1199:gee_array_list_real_get: assertion failed: (index < _size)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PollekePol

Timeshift (on Tessa, LM 19.1) - ERROR:arraylist.c:1199:gee_array_list_real_get: assertion failed: (index < _size)

Post by PollekePol »

Hi,

As from Linux Mint 19 I started using Timeshift (duh). Never fired it up though after setting it up, never needed to restore something. Timeshift was doing its thing in the background, storing snapshots in '/timeshift'.

Recently migrated to Tessa, Linux Mint 19.1. No clue whether that has anything to do with the problem described below.

Today I did try to open Timeshift (never did before, since setting it up), wanted to change some parameter. Luckily not needed to do a restore.

When trying to launch Timeshift from the menu nothing happened.

Then went to commandline. When doing 'sudo timeshift --check' or 'sudo timeshift --list' from the command line it gives me this:

Code: Select all

[Warning] Deleted invalid lock
ERROR:arraylist.c:1199:gee_array_list_real_get: assertion failed: (index < _size)
Aborted
Tried uninstalling (and purging) timeshift and reinstalling but to no avail. Also completely removed '/timeshift' dir. So now I'm without any restore points .

Googled this message in combination with timeshift but could not find anything. So there you go, my first post on this forum since I started using Linux Mint (for many years already).

Anyone any clue?

Regards,
Robert
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pisaacs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Timeshift (on Tessa, LM 19.1) - ERROR:arraylist.c:1199:gee_array_list_real_get: assertion failed: (index < _size)

Post by pisaacs »

I'm having the same issues on a fresh 64bit install of LM19.1 Cinnamon, and was wondering if you had any success in solving the problem,
regards Paul
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Timeshift (on Tessa, LM 19.1) - ERROR:arraylist.c:1199:gee_array_list_real_get: assertion failed: (index < _size)

Post by trytip »

you DO NOT use sudo with Timeshift the command is timeshift-launcher if that doesn't work what errors do you get
gm10

Post by gm10 »

PollekePol wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:25 pm Anyone any clue?
No, but that looks like a bug with Timeshift, should go here: https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues
trytip wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 pm you DO NOT use sudo with Timeshift the command is timeshift-launcher if that doesn't work what errors do you get
Of course you use sudo with timeshift (= the CLI application). timeshift-launcher is the pkexec/sudo wrapper for timeshift-gtk, which is the GUI application, i.e. something else.
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

Is this with rsync snapshots? I'm using BTRFS snapshots and recently updated LM 19 to 19.1 and all seems to be working OK.
SinfulSaint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SinfulSaint »

Got the same issue with a new 19.1 install.

ERROR:arraylist.c:1400:gee_array_list_real_remove_at: assertion failed: (index >= 0)

nvme plus raid 0 and raid 5 fields.

Can't start GUI. Asks for a pwd and then nothing happens...
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

Same thing just happened to me. Was cruising along with Mint 19 and everything was working perfectly. Upgraded to 19.1 minutes ago and noticed Timeshift is dead.

When running 'timeshift-launcher' from the terminal, this is the error:

ERROR:arraylist.c:1400:gee_array_list_real_remove_at: assertion failed: (index >= 0)
If it helps, I'm not using BTRFS. I have my boot SSD (xfs) and Timeshift does rsync over to a spare SSD (xfs).

I recently set up Mint 19.1 for a friend (fresh install) and Timeshift works correctly so I think something in the upgrade killed it.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

Bump.

I opened a bug on Timeshift's Github site but is there anything the Mint dev's can do to assist? I removed/purged Timeshift and added the programs PPA and installed the latest version and same, exact error.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Strange, several people seem to experience the same problem, but for me (64 bit 19.1 mate on laptop) timeshift functions perfectly well.
Is there something common to all who do experience the problem ?

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

TI58C wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:34 pm Strange, several people seem to experience the same problem, but for me (64 bit 19.1 mate on laptop) timeshift functions perfectly well.
Is there something common to all who do experience the problem ?

Robert
One of the common themes, we all did upgrades to 19.1 and then it started to fail. Timeshift worked perfectly in 19 but the second I upgraded, failure.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

Just wanted to add that the full error is:

/usr/bin/timeshift-launcher: line 30:  6294 Aborted                 (core dumped) pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY ${app_command}
Chillstice

Post by Chillstice »

Yeah. I'm getting the exact same issue. This machine in particular has been running without intervention for about a month. So this issue is recent. It's also devastating.

I think a recent update has caused this issue as I cannot see how anything else could have happened.

Also, I really need to restore an rsync snapshot, like, right now. Is there an alternative way to do that? I can't even get the timeshift cli to work.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

Chillstice wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:10 pm Yeah. I'm getting the exact same issue. This machine in particular has been running without intervention for about a month. So this issue is recent. It's also devastating.

I think a recent update has caused this issue as I cannot see how anything else could have happened.

Also, I really need to restore an rsync snapshot, like, right now. Is there an alternative way to do that? I can't even get the timeshift cli to work.
I'd say try booting from a Mint 19.1 thumb drive and if Timeshift isn't pre-installed, install it then see if you can restore that way. It sucks that there doesn't appear to be a fix for this issue. To me, Mint represented rock steady upgrades and everything "just working" but now, I'm seriously contemplating switching to a rolling distro (Arch, Antergos, Manjaro). I mean, if I have problems upgrading my system with Mint...... might as well face those same pitfalls with a rolling distro with the trade off being getting access to newer software versions.

I have a Manjaro system in my house that I once forgot to update for about 6 months. A few days ago I checked and it needed HUNDREDS of updates. I clicked the 'go' button and it downloaded all the updates, applied them.... I rebooted the system and it's still zipping along perfectly! Timeshift on it hasn't skipped a beat. Wish I could say the same for Mint.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

OK, question for everyone having this error: are you all using Cinnamon as your DE? I've been using XFCE since 19.0 and can't replicate this Timeshift problem. I'm going to test my development VM today (has Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE installed); maybe there's a link.

This really sucks - this software has saved my bacon on multiple occasions (due to my incessant tweaking). I don't understand why it seems to be only affecting Mint, though - that makes no sense.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gene0915 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:52 pm OK, question for everyone having this error: are you all using Cinnamon as your DE? I've been using XFCE since 19.0 and can't replicate this Timeshift problem. I'm going to test my development VM today (has Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE installed); maybe there's a link.

This really sucks - this software has saved my bacon on multiple occasions (due to my incessant tweaking). I don't understand why it seems to be only affecting Mint, though - that makes no sense.
Yup, have only installed/used Cinnamon.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Ran Timeshift under MATE (using the CLI) and Cinnamon (using the GUI) - still can't get it to fail. Sorry, everyone - I'm at a loss here.

Return to “Software & Applications”