Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

(SOLVED) How To Make Shutter The Default Screenshot App

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 am

i have been looking for a program like i had in windows that would allow editing of a screenshot once taken. i found shutter which seems to fit the bill, but as how to set it as the default screenshot taker when i press prtscn i'm at a loss. please help wqith this. thanks
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How To Make Shutter The Default Screenshot App

Post by phd21 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

"Shutter" is a great screenshot application. I would also recommend you try "Ksnip" which I like even more.

Shutter as default | Shutter - Feature-rich Screenshot Tool
http://shutter-project.org/faq-help/set ... shot-tool/

Instructions on how to change default screenshot application in this post.

FYI - "ksnip" really nice screen capture app with Imgur upload and built-in painter functions - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112&hilit=ksnip

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:27 pm

cool thanks very much. went with your suggestion and already set ksnip up and working perfectly, thanks again.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: *SOLVED) How To Make Shutter The Default Screenshot App

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:49 pm

hey it's set, but on select i cannot cut, nor is there an option for pasting to a new project. seems to be missing key features.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

"ksnip" does not have all the features of an image editor, but you can crop by selection thereby cutting out the rest, and you can scale (resize), blur, and has excellent painter (annotation features), can upload to your imgur account, convert formats by simply changing the filename extension name when saving, etc... You can also open existing images for editing.

If there is something on the screen I do not want others to see that I would normally "cut" or "blur", I pick a selection tool, pick a color and check the "solid" fill, make the selection, then uncheck (turn off) the solid fill.

Not sure what you mean by pasting into a new project, and there is a copy and paste function.

This software is being maintained and updated and the developer Damir has been great and active. Anyone can make requests, comments, and or note bugs, at the Ksnip GitHub website, click the "issues tab" on top.

DamirPorobic/ksnip: Ksnip is a Qt based cross-platform screenshot tool that provides many annotation features for your screenshots.
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip

You can also use Kolourpaint, XnViewMP, etc... for basic image editing and Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, etc... for more advanced image editing.

Hope this helps ...

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:09 pm

while i like the idea of being able to upload directly toimgur cause it's the site i use for my needs i need a different program then. i would of stuck with stutter, but ksnip is the only one that seems to work with the -f argument. i do shutter or another i liked and press the prtscn button does nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZyFnJJEiY

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

Not sure what you are trying to say by this last reply, but you can change the current default screenshot application to whichever screenshot application you want or use a different key like the "pause/break" key for another printscreen application. The instructions and even a video tutorial are in the "Ksnip" link I provided before.

The instructions from the Shutter link to change the default screenshot would work for shutter and other screenshot apps as well.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:05 pm

followed the instructions on the shutter site exactly and they are not working for shutter, but edit the new custom shortcut for ksnip instead of shutter and it works just fine.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 am

phd21 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm
Hi MrGrimm,

You can also use Kolourpaint, XnViewMP, etc... for basic image editing and Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, etc... for more advanced image editing.

Hope this helps ...
hey Kolourpaint for my needs seems to do the trick very nicely,just need yo know if i can set it as the program that opens when i press prtscn? thanks

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:59 am

Hi MrGrimm,
MrGrimm wrote:hey Kolourpaint for my needs seems to do the trick very nicely,just need yo know if i can set it as the program that opens when i press prtscn? thanks
You can use almost any application name in the same instructions for making the PrintScreen key open that application. I did not see a command parameter for starting Kolourpaint for taking a screenshot (ie: kolourpaint --screenshot) although it can "acquire screenshot" with or without a delay from its file menu.

I have been using Kolourpaint for years as my basic image editor because it is fast to come up and easy to use whereas Gimp takes a lot longer to startup.

I use "Ksnip" for my primary screenshot capture application and because it has better "painter" annotation features like arrows, numbers with renumbering, "blur", etc... and the other features. In fact, I have been working with Damir of Ksnip and recommending features that I like from Kolourpaint and other image editors which he has graciously added to Ksnip. Because I use screenshots and other images for tutorials, notes, and demos, I had to use 2 different applications a good screenshot application and then a good basic image editor, now I only need "ksnip" for both procedures because I can now take the screenshot and edit it (annotate - paint, crop and scale (resize to fit forum, etc...) ) . But, I (anyone) can always open an image in Kolourpaint or another image editor to do something that ksnip could not.

Kolourpaint PDF manual
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraph ... rpaint.pdf

FYI: All Linux Mint editions have the ability to set default applications for various file types (file association). You can make all "jpg" images or "png" images open with Kolourpaint or Ksnip or another application in file managers or change the right-click "open with" any other image program.

Hope this helps ...

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 am

yea currently added to panel, added acquire screenshot to it's menubar, not quite the normal route but works great. so launce app from panel, click acquire screenshot, and opens in about a second, and can edit and save from there. better than shutter cause once it did decide to work as the capture app it took what seemed like forever to open once prtscn was pressed, slow enough the first time to get me to press the prtscn key 2 more times. side note some of those apps do not work with the -f argument. thanks again for all the help and suggestions, greatly appreciated. now for others reading this thread, some great apps there so don't dismiss them out of hand. what works for me may not for you, and vice versa.

as for changing the default program associations that was one of the first things i went hunting for. can't speak to other distros, but in mint cinnamon it was way to easy. win 10 as easy as it's suppose to be is a true pain with the new settings page for default apps, end up creating a shortcut to the old settings page for it and a lot of the windows settings cause the new stuff is pure crap.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome again...

Return to “Software & Applications”