Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pearsimmon
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo customization

Post by Pearsimmon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 am

How do I do these things in file explorer:

1. Change what directories open automatically in each pane on startup?
2. Copy or move selected item to other pane with a keyboard shortcut? I'm looking for keyboard shortcuts in general, but can't really find any help online for Nemo exactly.

mttr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo customization

Post by mttr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:33 pm

This is one option that I keep using in Caja and did not realized that Nemo had. Awesome simple feature, the "Move or Copy All the selected file to the Other Pane". Use it all the time.
In Nemo you right click then > click the + sign at open to show more options > than in my case I was getting all the paths/menus/bookmarks listed.But that is just a feature.
For a simple "copy to or move to other pane", go to preference > display > Move/Copy to Menu and uncheck "List bookmarks and List device and network options. (I had missed that not sure what the default setting was).
The big thing that I use Nemo for is, once I've include the command for using Thunar's Bulk-Renamer in the behaviour preference. (last line in behaviour preference), I can go to a folder with many sub folders do a search say all .mp4 or all "." files, select all files and then send to rename and up comes Thunar's Bulk-Renamer. I can now do clean-up on all the file name. Bulk-rename doesn't do files in sub directories by itself. I would like to see Caja with that behaviour command option. Great work programmers. Make's life easer. :D

Pearsimmon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pearsimmon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 am

I'm bumping this thread because I actually still haven't figured out keyboard shortcuts in Nemo.

Mintymandy34
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintymandy34 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Pearsimmon wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 am
I'm bumping this thread because I actually still haven't figured out keyboard shortcuts in Nemo.
Which keyboard shortcuts are you searching for?
Copy, Move, SymLink?
Are you wanting to have a single button or shortcut to do the copy and paste actions altogether or fine with the two shortcuts?
If you've used such feature previously anywhere, could you please guide me there so that I can understand it better to replicate it here?
Mint does support custom shortcuts backed by commands, so we could try that.
Let me know.

I'm not sure, if it can be done, we could try.

Pearsimmon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pearsimmon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm

I just would like to find some documentation about keyboards shortcuts in Nemo. Currently, just knowing if there is a shortcut to copy or move to other pane would suffice. If there is no such shortcut, that's fine too - I guess I will have to learn a more advanced file manager then.

Mintymandy34
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintymandy34 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Pearsimmon wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm
I just would like to find some documentation about keyboards shortcuts in Nemo.
This should work for the list of shortcuts.
https://www.ihaveapc.com/2011/05/list-o ... shortcuts/
For official documentation for Nemo, I don't know of one, I'll try to find that for you.
There's an official documentation for Mint, but I guess, you've already gone through that.
Pearsimmon wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm
Currently, just knowing if there is a shortcut to copy or move to other pane would suffice. If there is no such shortcut, that's fine too - I guess I will have to learn a more advanced file manager then.
Yeah, about that I don't seem to get the feature you desire to have.
Ctrl + C for copy and Ctrl + V for paste (copy operation)
and Ctrl + X for cut and Ctrl + V for paste (move operation).

Nemo is quite advanced I feel, for me, it was forked off Nautilus afterall.
But I guess, the feature you require isn't one I know of, I'm just a new user. :D

And don't worry, the devs will chime in and find that feature for you if there's one.

redlined

Post by redlined » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:01 pm

hi Pearsimmon!

drill in Nemo preferences for tons of options, especially cool is the plugins tab, scripts and actions can really make it (more) awesome as a primary file manager for LM Cinnamon.

For keyboarding shortcuts you will need to go to Mint menu> Preferences> Keyboard> Shortcuts tab and sort out what you want to do there. Unless there is conflict with shortcut you want being already in use (which it warns about, when applicable) or what you want to use is too common (like a single letter or letter combo that effects the shortcut while typing replies in forums :oops:

More options for keyboard shortcuts can be found and set using the excellent dconf-editor tool, an optional install from our repos that will require you to be "careful" in using, as the initial open warning states - you can wreck your system with the tool (it is not "bad" like say bleachbit running amok as root and destroying things, rather it does make system changes that can break things, but is limited to doing only what you tell it to so just be mindful when using it)

Hope this helps!

Mintymandy34
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintymandy34 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:03 pm

redlined wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:01 pm
hi Pearsimmon!

drill in Nemo preferences for tons of options, especially cool is the plugins tab, scripts and actions can really make it (more) awesome as a primary file manager for LM Cinnamon.

For keyboarding shortcuts you will need to go to Mint menu> Preferences> Keyboard> Shortcuts tab and sort out what you want to do there. Unless there is conflict with shortcut you want being already in use (which it warns about, when applicable) or what you want to use is too common (like a single letter or letter combo that effects the shortcut while typing replies in forums :oops:

More options for keyboard shortcuts can be found and set using the excellent dconf-editor tool, an optional install from our repos that will require you to be "careful" in using, as the initial open warning states - you can wreck your system with the tool (it is not "bad" like say bleachbit running amok as root and destroying things, rather it does make system changes that can break things, but is limited to doing only what you tell it to so just be mindful when using it)

Hope this helps!
Thanks, a great way of presenting things.
dconf-editor, here I come. :mrgreen:

redlined

Post by redlined » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Mintymandy34 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm
cool link, bookmarked!

and yah, about dconf-editor, it's a good one, even if just searching around in it- helps explain the relationships all the various components interacting in this Linux Mint mashup system I've grown to love :mrgreen:

Mintymandy34
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintymandy34 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm

redlined wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 pm
Mintymandy34 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm
cool link, bookmarked!

and yah, about dconf-editor, it's a good one, even if just searching around in it- helps explain the relationships all the various components interacting in this Linux Mint mashup system I've grown to love :mrgreen:
Thanks, yup, that's one I was searching, a total system wreckage is imminent.

Return to “Software & Applications”