Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Icarus
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Meta Package Installation

Post by Icarus »

Hi folks. Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere in some dark corner of the forums here but I am growing a few more greys than I already have trying to figure out what's going on. I am trying to use Synaptic Package Manager and while I am loving the ease that it offers in terms of installing new software, I am having a bit of difficulty with installing a few meta packages that I want.

When I right click and try to mark a meta package for installation, the box gets checked off, but none of the included packages get marked for install. I have included a screenshot for reference. I am right clicking on the meta package and the screenshot is the result. None of the associated packages with "multimedia-photography" get marked for install. I can go to the Mark Recommended For Installation sub menu when I right click and pick each program one by one to install. But I thought the whole purpose of installing a metapackage was so that I didn't have to select individual packages.

Am I missing something simple? Do I need to to do anything as far as repositories are concerned? Is there an option in the Synaptic settings that I am overlooking?
Attachments
screenshot.png
Last edited by Icarus on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperBoby
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Meta Package Installation

Post by SuperBoby »

I think you have to launch the installation for the package manager to ask you about installing the dependencies. I don't use the graphical software manager, but that's how it works in CLI.
LMDE 3 Cindy x64 on :
Lenovo Thinkpad T410, X220 Tablet, X61

Icarus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Meta Package Installation

Post by Icarus »

Hey thanks for the response. I had cross posted in the Newbie section and discovered it was as simple as checking a box within the options regarding considering dependencies.

Return to “Software & Applications”