Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

So much for the weather applet

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 am

That sucks. I liked that one and it seems it may be gone forever.

https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Re: So much for the weather applet

Post by smurphos » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 am

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... ssues/2178

Might be difficult for mockturtl to estimate number of accesses per day if he migrates to the new API.

There are other options - e.g. the weather desklet can use BBC weather so may be the applet could migrate to that.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:19 am

I hope something can be worked out. That was a very convenient applet.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am

As noted in the referring thread, this is a VERY good option: https://gitlab.com/bitseater/meteo

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 am

smurphos wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 am
https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... ssues/2178

Might be difficult for mockturtl to estimate number of accesses per day if he migrates to the new API.

There are other options - e.g. the weather desklet can use BBC weather so may be the applet could migrate to that.
I think this is correct, and abandonware is so common in the FOSS world it's ridiculous. No one is being paid to write or (more seriously) maintain these Linux programs.

SMplayer has been my default video player for 5 or 6 years now and it's on its 3rd backend at this point. I could go on and on and on about this.

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Post by smurphos » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 am

It's hardly abandonware Hoser Rob. The applet is maintained by its original author and had its last update little over a month ago.

I'm sure he'll convert it to an alternative weather API given a little time.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:35 pm

not again. this is the third time i had to re-adjust my jahoo conky weather and now it's gone :evil: this weather conky connects every 15 minutes how dare they ask for the number of times. yahoo is getting so pretentious, their homepage has gotten a trap of social media tracking and liberal nonsense.

now how do i use the new api key with my conky?
i'm going to send them my script and ask them to fix it :lol:

vaca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vaca » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 pm

It is the best applet, I love its visual form from the bar.
I hope the author quickly migrates the applet, it is indispensable and the alternatives outside the bar do not like anything.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:30 pm

smurphos wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 am
I'm sure he'll convert it to an alternative weather API given a little time.
I think so, too. Patience.... :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm

I gave up on the applets....

just go straight to the WxChannel.....

vaca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vaca » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:28 am

At the moment, I have found a provisional substitute that works excellent my weather-indicator.

https://www.atareao.es/aplicacion/my-we ... ra-ubuntu/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa: atareao / atareao
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator

It works perfect in mint 18.3 without the wiget or with the way you want and you do not have to register anything of apis.
As soon as the simple applet of morkpup is fixed, I will put it back, so for the time solved the time hehehe

avb12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avb12 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

WOEID Lookup Service is RESTORED
see http://woeid.rosselliot.co.nz/

But the applet still doesn't show anything

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 am

avb12 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

mockturtl needs to fix the applet first.... Hopefully he'll have time for that one of these days. These applet devs do all their work in their spare time. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ronsmeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ronsmeyer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:35 pm

avb12 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

So did Yahoo turn it back on or what?

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Just switch to Xfce and you should be good. :wink:
Just kidding. I know it's not enough reason one would leave Cinnamon desktop. :)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Post by trytip » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm

mediclaser wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Just switch to Xfce and you should be good. :wink:
Just kidding. I know it's not enough reason one would leave Cinnamon desktop. :)
:D the weather applet on xfce is not much better. it collects data ahead of time into a database and uses that data even if internet is off. yesterday in northern california we had major winds 30-50 miles per hour and the speed it was showing was 9 miles per hour
not so accurate, but i guess it's a nice placebo application to have if you like looking at your systray for some eye candy. the panel icons with clima theme does look quite appealing though.
ps: but alas all this talk about weather got me looking at it more closely which i don't open the details much anymore but it too is now prone to website being deprecated :( this is new

just look at all the useless information that no one needs. i don't need to know when the calculations were made. if i scroll down all you mostly see are the times and dates when the applet connected to the source site

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 pm

for what its worth, this is the weather ext. i use in my chromium based "brave browser"...its probably the best ive used yet...wouldnt hurt to try it...DAMIEN

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ddahbeiglb

https://weatherextension.com/
ORDO AB CHAO

Total_Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Total_Blue » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Kendoori wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am
As noted in the referring thread, this is a VERY good option: https://gitlab.com/bitseater/meteo
I tried Meteo on Linix Mint 19 Cinnamon. It does not show the correct location for me (picks my ISP home city) and when I try to change location to my city, Meteo crashes and exits.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:40 am

trytip wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm
the weather applet on xfce is not much better. it collects data ahead of time into a database and uses that data even if internet is off. yesterday in northern california we had major winds 30-50 miles per hour and the speed it was showing was 9 miles per hour
I just hovered my mouse cursor over Weather Update (default Xfce weather application) and, yes, the data is cached - up to a whopping five minutes old, lol (I waited three minutes and checked again to make sure).

If the sun vanishes, even our own senses would take approximately EIGHT minutes to inform us.

The caching is good, IMHO, because the forecast for the upcoming week probably won't change that much within a five-minute span. As for caching of current conditions, well... If you need more current information than that, open a window and look :lol: .

But, seriously (okay, more seriously), if up-to-the-second weather information is something that you consider to be a mission critical type thing, it's probably a good idea to install a second weather application for the times when your favored one is having issues. Or better yet, a second and a third one (for the times when two aren't showing exactly the same data). I like my default one, but would be the first to agree that it isn't the ultimate in its field. I doubt any one application is, because people want different things. But it has been stable for me, and only pooched when the .API issue came up (which has been rarely). Speaking of which, select applications that do not use the same .API.

Now that I think about it... For the past couple of years or so, I have mostly just glanced at my cell phone - I have 1weather installed on it. I think it's set to auto-update every 15 minutes, and it places information on the "lock" screen. If knowing the temperature within 15 minutes isn't good enough, I just tap on it and it loads/updates.

A couple of years ago, that API issue hit and, while impatiently waiting (lol), I did a web search for an alternate. I forget which one I decided to try, but it was available via PPA. It had some good features that weren't available in my default application (and vice versa) - but the odd/wonderful thing was, installing it caused my non-functional default Xfce weather application to begin working again. I never did figure that one out - it was pretty surreal since the two applications had different developers.

Oh, and IF I remember correctly, that second weather application, the one I installed via PPA, offered me a choice of four APIs. I seem to remember having to register two of them to get them to function (I tried all four to see if there was any noticeable advantage of one over the others). While I didn't feel that there was any benefit to switching to any specific one of the four, it was nice to know that, if one stopped working for me, I had three more choices in the same application. I'd probably still be using the thing, but I was comfortable with the default option - and, since my adding the PPA and installing the new one had jump-started (so to speak) the old one, I ended up removing it.

Since you have been kind enough to read to this point, lol, here is an article that describes seven weather applications for linux:
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... for-linux/
Maybe one (or more) will suit you.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 am

I wrote my own weather conky pulling data direct from the UK met office :) :
Screenshot from 2019-01-08 08-20-19.png
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Software & Applications”