Lightweight web-browser for reading - any advice?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mia
Level 1
Level 1

Lightweight web-browser for reading - any advice?

Post by Mia » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 pm

I often use a browser for reading (online libraries for example). I used to read texts with chromium's "reader view" extension. But latest versions of chromium are so memory-hungry - it's impossible to left it open for days or weeks. And if I restart it - it doesn't save positions in texts. So I'm looking for some browser for reading only. It should:
1. be lightweight, so I can keep it open for a really long time,
2. have a possibility to ignore pages styles, fonts an colors - to use it's own appearance instead, which should be configurable (text and bg colors, font size),
3. can go full-screen, so I see nothing but web-page.

I've tried elinks (text browser similar to 'links' and 'lynx', but with tabs support and "session" autosaving to bookmarks). It's good enough for text-only pages. But sometimes I need images too.

Any advice?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Lightweight web-browser for reading - any advice?

Post by Moem » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

LuvNix wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:11 pm
Truly believe sometimes "google it" is a great answer, lol.
Possibly. But it's not an acceptable answer in these forums. So it's a really good thing you did not just say that. Although what else you did say is not quite clear to me... I think it was 'consider Firefox with some suitable add-ons'. Was that it?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm

google it is a very good answer. it's how i learned linux and the answer to life, the universe and everything

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:44 pm

LuvNix wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Arghhhh, nevermind, shutting up, by all means feel free to delete any/all of my posts. :D
No worries, we'll do that if we ever see the need, which is not currently a thing as far as I know. But yeah, people might get more out of your posts if you could condense them a little... just sayin'. 8)
Furthermore, not everyone has Google as their weapon of choice. I never touch the stuff myself. Go ahead, call me paranoid... I prefer Startpage.

You're not being scolded or anything like that. Just some friendly hints from one forum user to another.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

redlined

Post by redlined » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm

I don't have experience with alt browsers used in the manner/desire you share but was curious so looked around after thinking about what would be best in such a situation. Really I think going to tablet for reading with android dev apps would make for convenient use as you describe.

Otherwise I bet you'll find some chromium/firefox alternatives to be slimmed down and quite capable such as:

Midori
Vivaldi
Dillo (no javascript, flash nor java support)
Min

others, like Seamonkey, Brave, Epiphany and more info on those:
https://www.ubuntupit.com/13-best-ubunt ... t-for-you/
https://alternativeto.net/list/1292/fre ... navigation

and not a site I usually load from search queries, but these two writing article did a good job gathering info and testing- 6 pages worth...
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... nance.html
Last edited by redlined on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redlined

Post by redlined » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm

trytip wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm
google it is a very good answer. it's how i learned linux and the answer to life, the universe and everything
I prefer startpage (lmgSPtfy), but can't get a Barrel Roll! :lol:

(although lmgtfy does include DDG now! :mrgreen:

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:10 pm

firefox has a reader view with some controls. change font size , alignment or themes. it being a lightweight? can't say what your system can handle

chrome extension Reader View is the same as the firefox reader view but can zoom in much more and be full screen
Last edited by trytip on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redlined

Post by redlined » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks for weighing in on those LuvNix, as I admitted I had no experience to share on them nor in the exact manner in which OP desired to use browser, which is basically a sensible multi-tabbed reader with picture/graphics support that is used as an alternative to daily driver for all other web browsing.

I did think a couple of them were the default browsers for some distros so felt safe to point them out as potentials. That computerworld link I shared shows how much Midori gobbles up RAM for a single tab, but really budges little from there and it sure looked stable from details on it and elsewhere doing some quick reading around.

ps, blows, wham and even thingy (other thread;) are all accurate technical terms, in my book too :mrgreen:

redlined

Post by redlined » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 pm

LuvNix, it's all good, even the coffee :lol: and everything is scripts and hyperconnected now, has me longing for the web-filter'd by proxomitron days... I used to have fun with that!

Mia, Is there some sort of way "book-ify" your heavy reading pages? maybe we're looking at the issue wrong and some sort of multiformat digital book reader that renders webpages correctly would suit your needs best :idea:
the world is full of book readers, for sure. as well education resources develop some pretty darn good, and well behaved(!), apps for such. I'm just drawing a blank on what to even search for at the moment...

Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:25 pm

My favorite browser is Pale Moon. Lighter and faster than Furryfox, and quite customizable. Doesn't crap up the RAM. Works with all decent websites (nothing's good with indecent bloatbergs like Twitter). Can use a lot of FF extensions. I usually use Advanced Night Mode for heavy reading because my eyes can't take the glare of light backgrounds.

I create separate profiles for different purposes, and use custom launchers for each profile. After a struggle with Lynx today, I think I'll just set up another PM profile for text-only and gopher. It's wonderful what you can do with launchers :D

Chrome is the most loathesome, user-unfriendly browser I know, outside of Micro$oft junk. Anything that doesn't zoom text only - without an extension that doesn't work half the time - is unfit for use by the visually impaired (Me. Glaucoma.). A bearable substitute is Slimjet, if you don't mind something in the Chrome family.
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.

Return to “Software & Applications”