Unetbootin Fails To Write Windows iso File To Flash Drive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frankmint

Unetbootin Fails To Write Windows iso File To Flash Drive

Post by frankmint »

I hope the title is self-explanatory. More details :

This laptop runs on 64-bit Linux Mint 18.3 with MATE.
It has VMware which runs Windows 10 as a VM.
The other day, as it is notorious for doing, Windows 10 announced it was going to upgrade itself and then did so.
However on trying to boot the new Windows version the Blue Screen of Death kicks in.
Although that APPEARS to give options for self repair and so on, it does not do that in this case.
The only remaining option is to load in a new copy of Windows via flash drive. ( The BSOD does have an icon for that. )

So I did download Unetbootin. When I tried to run it, it said it lacked a particular piece of software.
Software Manager let me Install and Launch that so now Unetbootin runs without generating any error messages.
I use a Windows 10 iso file I happen to have in Downloads and presume the job of Unetbootin is to copy that file to the plugged in flash drive
and wrap it in various pieces of software.
However when I run it and then check the flash drive, it ONLY has 2 files totaling less than 200K. ( Idlinux.sys and idlinux.c32 ).

Looking at the parameters used to run Unetbootin, there is :

* Distribution : Linux Mint
* Version : 17.2_Live ( the nearest to 18.3 actually available )
* Disk Image ticked
* iso filename shown correctty
* Type : USB Drive
* Drive : /dev/sdb1 ( do not know how to confirm that as the flash drive’s name is actually ‘LINUX MINT’. )

What am I doing wrong ? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unetbootin Fails To Write Windows iso File To Flash Drive

Post by Hoser Rob »

unetbootin is actually a bit limited so this isn't totally surprising, take a look here? ...

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... ge=english
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you are using the wrong image creator

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
apt update
apt install woeusb
A Linux program to create a Windows USB stick installer from a real Windows DVD or image.

This package contains two programs:

woeusb: A command-line utility that enables you to create your own bootable Windows installation USB storage device from an existing Windows Installation disc or disk image
woeusbgui: A GUI wrapper of woeusb based on WxWidgets
Supported images:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Window 8.x, Windows 10. All languages and any version (home, pro...) and Windows PE are supported.
frankmint

Post by frankmint »

Must admit being slightly confused, at least initially, but I have now executed the line commands shown
and woeusb is actually a command that works via Menu.
( The fact that its icon includes the Windows icon can also be offputting, suggesting the code is actually run BY Windows but I’ll ignore that. )

The good news is that woeusb is now an icon on my desktop.
The bad news is the ‘Target Device’.
First, the name it has generated as a default, bears no resemblance to the name of the stick attached ( /media/user/LINUX MINT ).
Second, I cannot seem to change the filename appearing in the Target Device field. Whatever I do, the field just changes color
but, as far as I can tell, does not actually let me change anything in that field.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

With Unetbootin:
1. Mount USB (Fat32) and open Unetbootin and it leave on
2. Select iso
3. Open Gparted and format USB to ntfs
4. Mount USB
5. Run Unetbootin (continue use)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

frankmint wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm Must admit being slightly confused, at least initially, but I have now executed the line commands shown
and woeusb is actually a command that works via Menu.
( The fact that its icon includes the Windows icon can also be offputting, suggesting the code is actually run BY Windows but I’ll ignore that. )

The good news is that woeusb is now an icon on my desktop.
The bad news is the ‘Target Device’.
First, the name it has generated as a default, bears no resemblance to the name of the stick attached ( /media/user/LINUX MINT ).
Second, I cannot seem to change the filename appearing in the Target Device field. Whatever I do, the field just changes color
but, as far as I can tell, does not actually let me change anything in that field.
maybe some permission problems?
run this in Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER $HOME
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

frankmint wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 am I hope the title is self-explanatory. More details :

This laptop runs on 64-bit Linux Mint 18.3 with MATE.
It has VMware which runs Windows 10 as a VM.

<snip>
Why are you trying to create a bootable USB if you're reinstalling Windows 10 in a VM? Can't you just attach the new ISO to the VM and force it to boot to the virtual CD?
frankmint

Post by frankmint »

First, apologies for being so slow in getting back. For me the only good news in this context is that this problem is NOT urgent.

Next, there was the suggestion to run this command :

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER $HOME

I did run it but still woesub did not run.

Then there’s a couple of questions :

‘Why are you trying to create a bootable USB if you're reinstalling Windows 10 in a VM?
Can't you just attach the new ISO to the VM and force it to boot to the virtual CD?’

Must admit I do not understand them, especially the second.
How exactly would I “ attach the new ISO to the VM” ?
My understanding ( rightly or wrongly ) is that to give a VM access to an iso containing the relevant OS
( and regardless of whether the VM is newly created ), said iso must be written to a flash drive ( for instance )
AND ‘wrapped’ in software ( such as unetbootin or woesub ) that handles its placement onto the VM.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

You should have settings similar to this:
VB_Settings.jpg
You can select the .ISO you want from here. Note that the VM must be "powered-off" and not in a saved state like mine often are, before you can change these settings.

Hope this helps!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”