USB formatting software that will remove permissions and wipe?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

USB formatting software that will remove permissions and wipe?

Post by borg101 »

Hey guys. Is there any USB formatting software that will clear permissions, wipe the entire partition table, create a new partition, then format? I have A LOT of flash drives from work promotions. I hand them out quite frequently. One consistent problem I run into is about 40% of them end up giving write errors because of "write protection". Sometime's I can change permissions, other times I can't. More often than not I can "clean" it on my work laptop (Windows 10 :roll: ) but then I won't be able to format it. If I take it and put it in a Linux machine, it won't auto popup and whatever disk utility I'm using will recognize it's there but not be able to create a partition table.

I just hate having to bounce around a lot, and if I can just avoid buying flash drives and just use leftover promo drives, why not. These aren't the highest quality, but...hey...it's free. lol.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: USB formatting software that will remove permissions and wipe?

Post by srq2625 »

The gparted application will do all the above:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gparted
Then run it from your menu. You'll need to enter your password again to start the application.

Within the application there are options to:
  • select the device you want to operate on,
  • refresh the list, via a menu option, of devices attached to your computer (allows you to remove device, attach a new device, refresh the list, and move on),
  • create a new partition table (either MSDOS or GPT),
  • delete, create, and format partitions
  • and a whole host of other disk related operations

borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

srq2625 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm
The gparted application will do all the above:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gparted
Then run it from your menu. You'll need to enter your password again to start the application.

Within the application there are options to:
  • select the device you want to operate on,
  • refresh the list, via a menu option, of devices attached to your computer (allows you to remove device, attach a new device, refresh the list, and move on),
  • create a new partition table (either MSDOS or GPT),
  • delete, create, and format partitions
  • and a whole host of other disk related operations
As soon as I saw the code, I highlighted it and pressed "ctrl+alt+t". Then I remembered I'm in Windows on my work laptop. UGH! I can't believe I ever used this garbage.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

in mint gparted is already installed, but that said i've had pretty good luck with disk. hit the flag key on your keyboard in linux of course, type disk, launch it, select the usb stick from the menu on the left, if mounted unmount it, click the gears icon, select format, name it if you want, turn on erase, leave as fat, and click next.

Return to “Software & Applications”