charroo
Level 4
Level 4

chrome or firefox?

Post by charroo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:05 pm

each one and its bads and goods

what do you choose?

i've heard that firefox is less good lately
Last edited by charroo on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: chrome or firefox?

Post by Moem » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:15 pm

I use Waterfox and Vivaldi.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Mostly Chromium here. Sometimes Firefox. Rarely Opera and Vivaldi. Use them for a "change of air" only. Chromium runs well on my system and I have an impression that it is snappier than Firefox.

"Unscientific" measuring: looking at "htop" while watching a video on Youtube, I can see that, on my system, Chromium uses between 12-15% CPU on average. The result for Firefox is 16-20%.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 pm

i like and use daily, the chromium based "Brave Browser"... to me, at least for now, has been the best browser i have ever used, but thats just my own personal opinion...to each their own...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by charroo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 pm

does vivaldi will work with spotify web?

also
is it true that firefox started to make problems lately like someone suggested on another website?

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:49 pm

I have an old pc and I use the Linux graphics software (nouveau).
I have compared Chromium with Firefox, playing HD videos and Firefox was way better.
But it seems that if you have a good graphics card with hardware acceleration that Chromium has got better video performance.

I prefer the basic settings and their useability in Firefox. It comes standard with every LinuxMint.
Chromium has got SO many settings that want to snoop information. Firefox is way less intrusive.

Firefox needs the support. Yes, who cares, well I do. It's probably the last of the big independent browsers out there. And I hope my little tiny bit of use of their wonderful Firefox product will keep them afloat... :wink:

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 am

I prefer Firefox. Like everything from Google, Chrome phones home to the mothership. If I need to use a Chrome-like browser for some reason, I use Chromium, which doesn't have MOST of the Google junk in it. There is another Chromium-based browser that says they have taken extra to strip out ALL the Google stuff, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. Seems to me its based in Germany (.de). Aha, found it:

https://iridiumbrowser.de/

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:04 am

jimallyn wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 am
There is another Chromium-based browser that says they have taken extra to strip out ALL the Google stuff
https://iridiumbrowser.de/
Great link Jimallyn! Another great initiative for a privacy browser! Never heard of that one before. I will try that one, because for some sites it can be handy to have an alternative to Firefox. And those Germans can be trusted with privacy, because they have real strict privacy laws.

zorzi

Post by zorzi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 am

Firefox only. I do not mind if Chrome is better or faster... I want to support Mozilla for its policy.

Nor Chrome neither Chromium. I want to get rid of Google. And I'm tired of all these Chromium-based browsers... Is this seriously the web future ?

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:24 am

Chromium here. FireFox has issues with my bank webite, so rarely ever use it. No problems with Chromium.

zorzi

Post by zorzi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 am

racer-x wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:24 am
Chromium here. FireFox has issues with my bank webite, so rarely ever use it. No problems with Chromium.
Sadly, first Google web domination issues.. Google leadership makes web conceptors follow its standards.

I think the OP question should overtake single user comfort question. Honestly, question should not even be asked IMO.

What do we believe in ? Google or Mozilla ? As open-source/GNU Linux users, shouldn't we refuse to use Google Chrome ?

Well, this is just my opinion.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am

Why don't you just try them both?

I use Chrome or Vivaldi, the latter of which is based on chromium. But I don't use Vivaldi much. Some have privacy concerns with Chrome which I understand but don't care about as much. WHat the frak difference does that make when you use Facebook? The advantage of Chrome is that they have better support for things like Flash than any other Linux browser, and that includes chromium and its derivatives.

I think Firefox is looking a bit sad nowadays, though I know serious geeks who still use it and I woudn't suggest anyone NOT use it. But they've dug themselves into a hole in the ground by trying to be more like Chrome and have lost. The only reall selling point Mozilla had left was the FOSS nature of FF. That's not true any more and can't be.

HTML5 has pretty much taken over as a Web standard and has DRM embedded in it. DRM is closed source, by definition. So you can't make a FOSS browser that the vast majority of users will want to use. The tinfoil hats as an aggregate aren't going to be enough to support a really FOSS browser.

So I'd install FF, Chrome (get the .deb from the Google site), and maybe chromium or a derivative like Vivaldi ) for those times when you want more privacy. Never used Waterfox but heard good things.

However, Waterfox is FF based and I have a problem with chromium/ff derivatives. Bug fixes and security updates come later for those than the browsers they're based on so I don't feel they're as secure. Also, when there are big changes in an update for ff/chromium, the derivatives tend to be complete bug fests fvor a while.

Minty00
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minty00 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 pm
i like and use daily, the chromium based "Brave Browser"... to me, at least for now, has been the best browser i have ever used, but thats just my own personal opinion...to each their own...DAMIEN
Another vote for Brave. For me it's quick, lean and has all the stuff I want on a browser without having to use extensions. (HTTPS everywhere, ad blocker, java disabled by default etc). It might seem a drag having to allow java for each site you visit but it's a 1s process that makes me feel a little safer on the net! If you ever need it, there is Tor on it as well.

If you choose to look at adverts you get paid in some form of crypto currency for doing so... at least that is my understanding.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Tessa
MSI Z170a-Pro - Intel i3-6100 - 8GB DDR4 3000 - AMD R9 380
SM961 128GB (Linux) - 850 Evo 250GB (Windows 10 Pro) - WD 250GB (Raid 1)
Samsung S24F350 Monitor

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 am

don't be fooled here thinking firefox doesn't phone home. all the browsers phone home even waterfox and irridium or brave. shrek once said "onions have layers" and just like onions so do security and privacy
it's up to you to choose one that you like, then you can open a thread on how to make that browser more secure
i used to be firefox palemoon kind of guy now i'm a chrome user. i really liked configuring about:config in firefox browsers but since they removed a lot of support for privacy extension i went with chrome and never looked back

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 am

Don't like Firefox anymore. I use Chrome and WaterFox

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Both.

I use Chrome for netsurfing for which I want a history that is synchronized in every device I have. The syncing is easy, simple and it just works. I don't like about Chrome that you can't set it to open a new tab when you click on a link or search for something. The zooming is somewhat clumsy, too.

I use Firefox for regular netsurfing that I don't need synchronized. However, I use a Firefox variant called Pale Moon that still runs old extensions the new Firefox has killed. Thus I can click to a new tab and control zooming by site.
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 64-bit

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm

cecilieaux wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:30 pm
Both.
I don't like about Chrome that you can't set it to open a new tab when you click on a link or search for something. The zooming is somewhat clumsy, too.
i click down the scroll wheel and it opens searches or links in new tab. works for firefox too i believe. but this is also a site specific feature. some site links open in current tab some in new tab

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:14 pm

trytip wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 am
don't be fooled here thinking firefox doesn't phone home. all the browsers phone home even waterfox and irridium or brave.
If we're assuming for a moment that this is true, wouldn't it make a difference to you which 'home' they are calling to? It would to me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Moem wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:14 pm
trytip wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 am
don't be fooled here thinking firefox doesn't phone home. all the browsers phone home even waterfox and irridium or brave.
If we're assuming for a moment that this is true, wouldn't it make a difference to you which 'home' they are calling to? It would to me.
they are calling chrome

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm

trytip wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm
they are calling chrome
Sorry, what does this mean?

Return to “Software & Applications”