chrome or firefox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Re: chrome or firefox?

Post by racer-x »

I think he meant, They are calling home.....

Either way, I don't care because FireFox is not up to snuff for my Banking websites that I use, therefore it is unacceptable. Chromium has no such
problems and therefore has my blessings. To each their own though....
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

I got a bit fed up with some of the recent changes in Firefox & tried Chromium. Still have it installed but have never loved it.
Tried Opera. It took a bit of tweaking but now it's my daily browser. Slight concern that China has a finger in the ownership pie but nothing bad yet.
It has built in ad-blocker, built in VPN, 'turbo mode' which reduces image file size/quality while downloading web pages (useful for slow connections) etc.
I'm very happy with it at the moment.
NN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm
trytip wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm they are calling chrome
Sorry, what does this mean?
in about config you can turn these off but by default mozilla use google malware protection, which connects to google but also connects with your cookies
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

I like Slimjet which is chromium based. Very snappy on all my old laptops. I have Firefox installed too, just in case, but rarely use it anymore.
https://www.slimjet.com/en/about-slimjet.htm
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm in about config you can turn these off but by default mozilla use google malware protection, which connects to google but also connects with your cookies
Thanks for the clarification, I would never have guessed this from 'calling chrome'. I don't think you even need to get into about:config to switch off the Google-supported malware protection, I've always done it from the preferences.

What do you mean by 'connects with your cookies'?

With regards to Waterfox, you might find this discussion interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... n_to_user/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Waterfox.
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by charroo »

does vivaldi has a similar thing like the 'multi-account container"

firefox has some problems for me...
but still- i'm doubtful i can use vivaldi because a have a lot of customization in firefox
i'm on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
philotux

Post by philotux »

charroo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:02 pm does vivaldi has a similar thing like the 'multi-account container"
I found this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e?hl=en-US which I suppose can be installed on Vivaldi as well. I haven't used it myself, so I can't comment on it's working.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

GNU IceCat 60.3.0esr
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by charroo »

ok
thank you

if it will not work sealessely i won't bother to try vivaldi unless i can't use firefox any longer

as i mentioned-someone told me online that firefox is deraling lately...
i'm on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

racer-x wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:11 pmEither way, I don't care because FireFox is not up to snuff for my Banking websites that I use, therefore it is unacceptable. Chromium has no such
problems and therefore has my blessings.
I wonder why this is. Do those banking websites require Flash or one of Google's scripts to run on your computer, perhaps? If so, I'd find another bank - but that's just me. Mainly I'm just curious as to what would cause them to fail (or, possibly, simply refuse) to run. I suppose it could be something as simple as Firefox identifying itself as such, and be fixable by configuring Firefox to identify itself as one of Google's children.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Interesting thread, to me. I've been a long time user of Firefox, and loved it until recently. Since the more recent upgrades (now 65.0) I ran into more and more issues on many websites, particularly with forms filling and overlaying of elements within the web page. After struggling for a long time with this, I finally moved to Chrome.
Now, after learning their layout and struggling to find all the usual ways I work, I finally made Chrome my default browser and all went well for a while. I then ran into problems where banking sites did not function correctly. I thought, naturally, that this was down to their web page configuration being aimed at Microsoft and Apple products, but when my current account bank failed to even load the log-in page, I gave FF another try. It worked!
So, what's going on here? I now have to swap between Chrome and FF regularly, because either the form filling goes awry, or the pages don't load at all. This is, I think, to do with security. I know my bank has suddenly changed their methods and dropped that Microsoft security layer they used to try to force onto everyone, regardless of whether it would work.
It is extremely annoying and hard work when you have filled in several pages of forms and then the last page won't accept any input into the last dialogue, so you have to start over from scratch in a different browser. It never used to be like this. Everything used to just work, regardless of which browser you used.
It's not a case of preference any more, it's a case of which gives least problems?
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Benedetto »

I used a few browsers in my initial earning about computers and how they work. Eventually, as Opera improved i stayed there. This was all with Windows (XP, 7, 8.1 and 10)
Taking the plunge I installed Linux Mint 17.1 - dual boot with W10. I kept to Opera as it offered good features as far as I was concerned. F/Fox as a secondary. Once I realised that all I did with W10 was to update it once a week I clean installed Mint 18 waving goodbye to Windows. Since then I have upgraded Mint and now have 19.1 version. Until recently Opera was trouble free, but of late it opens with a small centre window and maximising brings up a half page, a third maximisation given either a small window or the required full screen. I tolerated this for two weeks - I sent to reports to Opera (no advice returned). I migrated to Firefox. However, there is something about Firefox that I do not like - not sure what, but there it is.
I am now using Brave for well over a week now and am more than happy with it. There are differences to Opera but it is swings and roundabouts I guess.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

@Benedetto I have just downloaded and installed Brave, to give it a spin. Again, as with Chrome, it will not load my banking website login page:

Code: Select all

:This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
All other sites seem to work though. I wish I knew why?
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Benedetto »

I logged into two banking accounts today. The first once credentials and password (which I never save) were entered progressed as usual. The second account said it didn't recognise my device and asked for my place of birth (a precautionary device). Once entered progress was as usual.
Both were UK based banks.
Did you take a look at the Brave shields tab? Maybe a setting there is blocking access.
Incidentally when I resorted to using Firefox recently (instead of the usual Opera) the one banking web site asked for the same verification.
I hope you get it sorted out.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

momist wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:03 am I know my bank has suddenly changed their methods and dropped that Microsoft security layer they used to try to force onto everyone, regardless of whether it would work.

It's not a case of preference any more, it's a case of which gives least problems?
Would that be Natwest bank by any chance? I use it frequently from Firefox in Mint 18.3 and have never had any problem.
Cliff Coggin
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

@cliffcoggin, no, not Natwest., although I understand RBS is part of that group. It's not as if I'm locked out, as the app on Android is fine and Firefox still works on my laptop. It seems to be something in Chrome and Chrome derivatives though. I've just had an update to the Chrome software (Version 72.0.3626.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)), but it still fails the same way.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Chrome fails miserably for me as well with banking sites. That is for me the ULTIMATE reason NEVER to use Chrome again. Some users with Intel processors seem to experience bettter video performance with Chrome compared to Firefox. But I have an AMD processor and Chrome just sucks compared to Firefox. But the banking issues with Chrome really get me nervous. Firefox gives me no trouble whatsoever.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

None of them. Use Waterfox. It is based on Mozilla Firefox, but it is working like Swiss watch.
https://bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb/waterfox
When you are there, scroll page down, you'll find it there under DOWNLOADS. Current version as of Feb.28.2019 is
waterfox_56.2.4-0_amd64.deb

Return to “Software & Applications”