Remote desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pfp

Remote desktop

Post by pfp »

Good evening:
Have xrdp loaded on Linux Mint 19.1
Attempt to access from Windows and remote desktop
Linux unit answers; accepts user name and password
But then just hangs and does not load desktop or icons etc
Eventually times out
Any and all suggestions/recommendations appreciated
Thank you,
Peter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Remote desktop

Post by jimallyn »

A number of people here generally recommend Teamviewer for remote access. (Myself included.) You can get the others to work, but Teamviewer seems to be the least trouble. I see on the forums people mention using remmina, so that's another you might try. I use xtightvnc to access my Raspberry Pi remotely. Lots of possibilities, but hopefully somebody will be able to help you get xrdp working.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phh »

Hi,

XRDP does NOT support 3d desktop. For usage of xrdp you have to enable/install some kind of 2d desktop. Xfce & LXDE can do the trick for you. However yoy can get Cinnamon to work (at least in 18.1). It's a kind of rendering mode. Unfortunately i can not provide a step-by step-guide. You-tube can give you some answers.

/PHH
gm10

Post by gm10 »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 am I see on the forums people mention using remmina, so that's another you might try.
Remmina is a client, not a server, that won't help here since he wants to access the Linux desktop, not the Windows one, from what I understand. Otherwise many +1 for Remmina, it's a very excellent multi-protocol remote desktop client.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I found a post on Mint subreddit recommending NoMachine, downloaded and installed it. Worked out of the box first time and v easy to use. Using in a linux only environment across three machines. It's also available for win so no reason to suppose that it won't work in a mixed environment.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Faust

Post by Faust »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:11 pm I found a post on Mint subreddit recommending NoMachine, downloaded and installed it. Worked out of the box first time and v easy to use. Using in a linux only environment across three machines. It's also available for win so no reason to suppose that it won't work in a mixed environment.
Nice one !

I've been using VNC to remote into my Pi systems for a long time , but I have some quibbles with it .
NoMachine looks like it could be the ideal replacement .

.... thanks for sharing !
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If you need more suggestions, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... p_software

Personally I'm not a fan of a closed-source server running on my machine when open-source solutions are available.

Return to “Software & Applications”