Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dkebler
Level 1
Level 1

19.1 Bug? nemo launcher fails from desktop confext menu and from command line

Post by dkebler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am

I have a new install of 19.0 then updated to 19.1

The desktop context menu (nemo) has a `create new launcher here` action. Clicking that fails to bring up the launcher dialog

So I opened the action file in /usr/share/nemo/actions and determined the executable line.

Code: Select all

Exec=cinnamon-desktop-editor -mnemo-launcher -d"%P"
When I run that in a terminal no matter what directory I give for -p I get a trace that follows.

Looks like a bug?? The path string after option -p is not begin picked up. This would explain why the context menu item does nothing. It's failing for the same reason.

$ cinnamon-desktop-editor -mnemo-launcher -d /home/auser/Desktop
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py", line 422, in <module>
    Main()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py", line 356, in __init__
    editor = LauncherEditor(self.orig_file, self.nemo_launcher_cb, self.dest_dir)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py", line 75, in __init__
    self.check_custom_path()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py", line 226, in check_custom_path
    self.item_path = os.path.join(util.getUserItemPath(), os.path.split(self.item_path)[1])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/posixpath.py", line 107, in split
    p = os.fspath(p)
TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not NoneType

dkebler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 19.1 Bug? nemo launcher fails from desktop confext menu and from command line

Post by dkebler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:39 am

Note: If I right click on any panel lanuncher and click + add, the launcher dialog does open. I have no way of knowing what that command looks like.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: 19.1 Bug? nemo launcher fails from desktop confext menu and from command line

Post by smurphos » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 am

It's a bug - https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8275 - already fixed in the source, but no update issued yet.

You can apply the fix in advance of the update via the instructions in this post - viewtopic.php?p=1578018#p1578018

I know that post is out of context - an Admin mistakenly split it from this thread - viewtopic.php?f=208&t=285360
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am

smurphos wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 am
It's a bug - https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8275 - already fixed in the source, but no update issued yet.

You can apply the fix in advance of the update via the instructions in this post - viewtopic.php?p=1578018#p1578018

I know that post is out of context - an Admin mistakenly split it from this thread - viewtopic.php?f=208&t=285360
not to be rude but couldn't have been an announcement made about something as big as this being broken? so in the meantime how are we suppose to create launchers / shortcuts?

dkebler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dkebler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am

not to be rude but couldn't have been an announcement made about something as big as this being broken? so in the meantime how are we suppose to create launchers / shortcuts?
see my note above. right click on any launcher in panel and click +add. You'll at least get a new launcher in the panel which unfortunately one can't move elsewhere

dkebler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dkebler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Never saw the "attached" patch file so just did this instead

followed that link to github repo and then loaded the entire raw cinnamon-desktop-editor.py into browser
copy and pasted that into a file onto my desktop

cinnamon-desktop-editor-fix.py
now made an insurance copy of the original and then copied the fixed version back

$ cp /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py ~/Desktop
$ sudo cp ~/Desktop/cinnamon-desktop-editor-fix.py  /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py 

all is good. That worked. Launcher launcher :-) is fixed.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm

dkebler wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am

see my note above. right click on any launcher in panel and click +add. You'll at least get a new launcher in the panel which unfortunately one can't move elsewhere
well like i said in the other thread it's fixed now. but the second they realized they should of pushed a pm here to all members. something like this warrants it.

Return to “Software & Applications”