Waterfox won't open link in new tab

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Waterfox won't open link in new tab

Post by edzell »

Waterfox 56.2.6 (64-bit) under Mint 17 Mate:

MIddle-click on links offered by search engine doesn't open them in new tab. Neither does R. click > open in new tab. In both cases a new tab appears briefly alongside the tab of the search page, and seems to begin seeking the page, but then just disappears.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Waterfox won't open ink in new tab

Post by BG405 »

Middle-click to open links hasn't worked for me either in Firefox for the past few years (up to when they were forcing Quantum, when I switched to WF) or since then in Waterfox. This was also the case with Windows 7, I believe, with FF before dumping MS. But the right-click option always works, so I wonder if starting Waterfox from the Terminal will reveal any useful error messages?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Waterfox won't open link in new tab

Post by edzell »

Ah, sorry BG. In the interim I've uninstalled Waterfox and am now having troubles getting it back on my machine. Do you know whether it can be installed 'stanadlone' - ie without Firefox being on the system? I've never been sure about that. In any case I'm getting error messages when I try to install WF with either Synaptic or apt-get. I'm a sort of perpetual newbie - been using mint for quite a while without much linux knowledge.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I have removed Firefox on all but one of my current systems. WF is a fork of Firefox & doesn't need FF on the system to run.

You won't find WF in the Mint/Ubuntu repos (at this time) but I installed it this way on my Mint 17.3 Cinnamon system and also LM18.2 KDE:

Code: Select all

echo 'deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install waterfox
Check your sources list first but from what you posted, it looks like you may have installed from a download from their site rather than adding the source.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

Thanks for the replies.. I've tried installing in more than one way without success. Too many other things happening right now for me to explain properly; I'll log off & post again later.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

Well ...

The last time I had Waterfox 'working' - but without the ability to open links in new tabs - it was from a download extracted within my download folder. At the bottom of the list of extracted files was an executable called simply waterfox and that was my launcher.

I have now deleted those extracted files and tried to install WF using the following instructions suggested by a friend:
https://bintray.com/version/readme/hawk ... fox/56.2.2

Waterfox now appears in synaptic but if I try to install from there, or with apt-get, the following appears:

----------------------------
Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade.

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.

waterfox:
Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>=1.9.14) but 1.6.18-0ubuntu4 is to be installed
Depends: libfontconfig1 (>=2.11.94) but 2.11.0-0ubuntu4.2 is to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6 (>=5.2) but 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.4 is to be installed
Recommends: waterfox-kde but it is not going to be installed
--------------------------
I don't know how to proceed.

Return to “Software & Applications”