Update Manager, auto refresh options

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Update Manager, auto refresh options

Post by overkill22 »

In Update Manager > Preferences > Auto-refresh there are few options, I'm not sure how they work.

1) First, refresh the list of updates after dd:hh:mm > is this related to every boot of the computer? Like, when you on the computer, it will check the updates after dd:hh:mm ?

2) Then, refresh the list of updates every dd:hh:mm > is this related to the point no.1 ? Like, after boot the computer, it will check the updates after the setting on no.1, THEN every dd:hh:mm on point no. 2 ?

I understand it like this. BUT, I'd like to be able to set the updates check let's say, once a week. How can I do that?
At the moment I have setting no. 1 after 10 minutes, and setting no. 2 every 4 days. However, every time the computer start, the update manager check for updates. I guess I should leave the computer always on, and then it will check every 4 days, isn't it?

Is there any way to set the refresh once a week?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Update Manager, auto refresh options

Post by gm10 »

You understand it correctly, or mostly: the first one runs after starting Update Manager, not boot, although that's usually the same thing.

While you can and should set the "First" timer to all zero (0) to disable it, currently the second timer doesn't keep state, meaning it will start counting down 4 days anew every time you restart Update Manager, so if you restart your computer before that then a new 4 day counter starts (I have a patch submitted to change this behaviour but you won't get that before LM19.2, if at all).

If that will be an issue, you can additionally run this once:

Code: Select all

sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99-Update-Package-Lists <<'EOB'
APT::Periodic::Enable "1";
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "4";
EOB
This will configure your system to automatically refresh the list of updates every 4 days no matter what Update Manager does. Update Manager will only see this refreshed list after you restart it, so depending on how often you restart your computer it will be "late", so consider that when setting the refresh duration.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update Manager, auto refresh options

Post by overkill22 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 am You understand it correctly, or mostly: the first one runs after starting Update Manager, not boot, although that's usually the same thing.

While you can and should set the "First" timer to all zero (0) to disable it, currently the second timer doesn't keep state, meaning it will start counting down 4 days anew every time you restart Update Manager, so if you restart your computer before that then a new 4 day counter starts (I have a patch submitted to change this behaviour but you won't get that before LM19.2, if at all).

If that will be an issue, you can additionally run this once:

Code: Select all

sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99-Update-Package-Lists <<'EOB'
APT::Periodic::Enable "1";
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "4";
EOB
This will configure your system to automatically refresh the list of updates every 4 days no matter what Update Manager does. Update Manager will only see this refreshed list after you restart it, so depending on how often you restart your computer it will be "late", so consider that when setting the refresh duration.
That's great! Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”