Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Creating Launcher Failed

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:45 am

yesterday i had a bulk file renamer that was acting up where i couldn't remame more than 1 file at a time without the ok / apply dialog box being blank. finally figured out that i had a bad copy of the program, so i download a fresh copy which worked perfectly but pointed out two more issues. fist issue when i went to create a new launcher for it in my shortcuts folder which is located on my desktop the launcher wouldn't work when clicked. the second issue is i then tried to create the launcher in the folder containing the files i wanted to rename and was told i could not create it there. idras on why either of these issues are happening would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Last edited by MrGrimm on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Creating Launcher Failed

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am

o.k. folks so no one has any ideas?

right clicking in my desktop shortcuts folder to create a launcher and after creation the launcher wouldn't work.

then tried to create the launcher in the folder containing the files i wanted to rename and was told i could not create it there even though after i created the partition i gave myself full rights to it just like all other secondary partitions and drives via terminal.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 am

o.k. boyz and girlz i'm at a true lost. both worked fine. when i had the problem creating either launcher i tried twice in both folders and then rebooted and tried in each folder again and same results. now all of a sudden no issue. i don't get it

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 am

just ran across this issue again

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:27 am

The launcher problem might be:
  • Did you put the full path to the program when you set up the launcher? If not and the program is not in the PATH, it won't run. You can find out where mint looks for running programs by typing echo $PATH in a terminal.
  • That mint doesn't think it's a program, does it run in terminal - from what you said sounds like yes? Try try navigating to the file you are trying to run in nemo (file manager), right click > properties and the permissions tab - check the box "Allow executing file as program".
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:58 am

you misunderstood the problem. the issue is that i added a custom action to nemo so i could rightclick and create a launcher in any folder, not just on the desktop. in nemo i have 4 tabs open at all times: desktop, shortcuts(located on the desktop), torrents, and last night's(located in tv series). once in awhile in folder that are not the desktop when i rightclick to create a new launcher the context menu item is missing. what i'd like to get to the bottom of is why from time to time it disappears.

Return to “Software & Applications”