CopyQ Applet Not Showing Icon (Solved - Workaround Found)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

CopyQ Applet Not Showing Icon (Solved - Workaround Found)

Post by felemur »

I have been using CopyQ for quite a while, and use it constantly. Withing the last few days the icon does not appear in the lower right of the panel as it always has, and therefore I can't use it.

I have:

1- done a full restart: icon still not there

2- opened the System Monitor, go to Processes, and killed CopyQ, then restarted it: icon still not there

3- uninstalled it via the Software Manager, and reinstalled it (Flatpak version): icon still not there.

4- went to the CopyQ docs on line, but did not find a subject with that issue

5- went to Menu, Preferences, General, Support for indicators and turned it on and off and did a Cinnamon restart each time: no effect

My setup:

Desktop computer - Dell 7010 Optiplex with i7
Mint Cinnamon 19.1 64 bit, all latest updates
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: CopyQ Applet Not Showing Icon

Post by phd21 »

HI felemur,

Did you check to see if CopyQ is in your Startup apps? In my Cinnamon 19 it is there but hard to see because of the light system tray icon.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

Yes, it is in the startup apps.

I have also tried to launch it manually.

Just as an FYI, I tried installing Parcellite clipboard manager via the Software Manager to use in the mean time, and it works fine, and the icon is there.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI felemur,

You could try removing the flatpak version and installing it via the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and or their PPA?

CopyQ -An Advanced Clipboard Manager for Linux
https://www.fossmint.com/copyq-an-advan ... for-linux/

You can also try running its startup command from the console terminal to see if there are any console terminal comments that might help see what's going on?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

Hey, thanks phd21 - it worked. The icon isn't the same, but who cares if it works!

Funny that the Flatpak one is the one that doesn't work.

What is it now - about the 10th time you've helped me fix an issue? Appreciate you taking your time to help me yet again. Hope you are enjoying your 75-78 degree sunshine while I'm up to my butt in fresh snow here. :mrgreen:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi felemur,

You are very welcome...

I cannot seem to find an easy way to clear the entire CopyQ clipboard history contents in Linux Mint Cinnamon, do you know how? My KDE system's Klipper clipboard I can just right-click to clear history.

FYI: Although I have been living in Sunny FL for a long time now, I am from up "north" and I do miss the snow sometimes. How much snow are you getting?
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Re: CopyQ Applet Not Showing Icon (Solved - Workaround Found)

Post by felemur »

There is no "one button" way to clear the clipboard in CopyQ. You have to select all the content in the clipboard manually, then delete. Major oversight IMO.

We are getting about a foot, but there is high wind and it is very cold so drifting.

Snow is really nice when it is fresh and you don't have to drive anywhere. In Southern Ontario where I am, it melts and refreezes all the time creating ice and dirty snow which I really could do without - that is caused by being in the middle of 3 great lakes which are heat sinks. I used to live much further north in Ontario far away from the Great Lakes where the snow would stay and there were snowmobile trails everywhere that you could use for snowmobiling in the winter and riding a dirt bike or ATV in the summer.

Florida is awesome in the winter, but the heat and humidity in the summer can be tough. But then again, you are probably tripping over Canadians down there right now depending on your location. A lot of people I know go to Florida right after new years, and stay until sometime in March.

Return to “Software & Applications”